can I build an effects pedal with side jacks and top jacks

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Cynogwen
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Pathfinder 20R

Post by Cynogwen »

can I build an effects pedal with side jacks and top jacks so I have options - ie. once a cable is plugged into say one of the two input jacks the other becomes void?

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

You can parallel them, for sure. As for one voiding the other, you can probably do that in one direction with the right switching jack, although making it bi-directional probably can't be done without, probably, a microcontroller circuit. But why bother? Just plug into one input and one output, and all should be well. (With an output buffer, even plugging into two outputs should be fine.)

Cynogwen
Information

Post by Cynogwen »

Ben,

Thanks for the info - yeh, your right I wouldn't need to make the 'unused' jack sockets void - I'd just leave them be...I wouldn't want to input two sources or output to two amps anyway. I've often wondered why nobody offers this sort of layout as it would be super versatile? I'm about to build my very first pedal (a Tube screamer type clone from a kit) but I'd certainly like to have input/output jacks at the side AND the top...how would I wire them in parallel?

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

Cynogwen wrote: 19 May 2020, 12:18 Ben,

Thanks for the info - yeh, your right I wouldn't need to make the 'unused' jack sockets void - I'd just leave them be...I wouldn't want to input two sources or output to two amps anyway. I've often wondered why nobody offers this sort of layout as it would be super versatile? I'm about to build my very first pedal (a Tube screamer type clone from a kit) but I'd certainly like to have input/output jacks at the side AND the top...how would I wire them in parallel?
Layout nightmare! It's possible in a 125B if you have a somewhat small circuit, but you'd almost certainly be giving up space for a battery.

Honestly I think from a usability standpoint it'd be more confusing than it would be useful. I bet most people would only use one or the other for the life of the pedal, and very few people would ever make use of both configurations at different times.

Plus you've still got DC power to worry about. If jacks are on top or side, but DC power is only on top, then you aren't saving much space by using the side jacks since the top side still needs some clearance. Or vice-versa if DC is on the side.

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Cynogwen wrote: 19 May 2020, 12:18 I've often wondered why nobody offers this sort of layout as it would be super versatile? I'm about to build my very first pedal (a Tube screamer type clone from a kit) but I'd certainly like to have input/output jacks at the side AND the top...how would I wire them in parallel?
Nobody offers this option because it uses too much space in the enclosure and there's really no interest to have two inputs and outputs if they are not buffered... speaking from a commercial point of vue.
Just imagine to tell the users: yes there are two jacks but you cannot use both at the same time...
You can have a third option which is to put jacks on the front panel too! allowing a modular-like arrangement.
After all what makes a pedal a "pedal" is its physical format, otherwise it could be like a synth module or desktop device.

If you'd want to have two inputs or/and two outputs at the same time you would need buffers to isolate the jacks.
Wired in parallel, in your case, means the tips of the input jacks are connected toghether, simply. Don't forget to make them share the same ground at the same point in the circuit (look for "star grounding").

Cynogwen
Information

Post by Cynogwen »

Thanks for the info - ok, it does seem it'll be a squeeze to everything in there so I'll ditch that idea. It would be helpful if boutique pedal builders offered buyers the option of 'where' they wanted their input/output jacks but I suppose that would mean more expense!

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

The Fret King "Line Doctor" (Line driver/buffer) has both top and side jacks, a small SMD PCB, power connector (on the side) and a battery.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012