Bazz Fuzz - No sound

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

Hello everyone first post! I'm brand new to this and I have a little issue with the bazz fuzz I just put together so I am wondering if you could help please.

I soldered everything except power supply which I connected with alligator clips to test it. I am fairly confident everything is plugged in their right place.
For the diode and the transistor I connected them with the sockets.
The I didn't want to solder the pot to the pcb so that I have the extra room for the sockets for the diodes but also the length of the connector ribbon is quite short too.

I connected the pedal to the amp-guitar and the clean sound is coming just fine but when I turn on the pedal I get no sound . The LED lights when I press the footswitch.

When I tested it I also reversed both the transistor and the diofe just to be sure I didn't put them the wrong way and I still got no sound.

I guess my next step will be to disconnect the pcb and the daughterboard and try to test the pcb if it's working but before I do that does anything stand out as blatantly wrong?

Attachments
IMG-6189.JPG
IMG-6188.JPG
IMG-6187.JPG
IMG-6186.JPG
IMG-6185.JPG
IMG-6184.JPG
Capture01.PNG

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Check for continuity on the footswitch lugs (for signal). Check for continuity as well on the ribbon cable (these can be brittle).
Check pot as well, to see if it's not shorted.

Looks like some solder pads are missing on your pics too...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

also, be sure to connect your guitar to the INPUT jack and not the OUTPUT jack (happened many times to me...)
Last edited by Intripped on 27 Jun 2020, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.

John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

Thank you very much for the tips but unsure how to perform these tests...I'm really new to this and I don't think I'm clever enough for these things... :oops:
lolbou wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 19:44 Check for continuity on the footswitch lugs (for signal).
How can I do that? Use the multimeter and put the black to ground and then test each one to see what reading I'm getting?
lolbou wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 19:44 Check for continuity as well on the ribbon cable (these can be brittle).
Again with the multimeter to see what reading I'm getting? Does the pedal need to be plugged to power and turned on?
lolbou wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 19:44 Check pot as well, to see if it's not shorted.
Sorry...how can I do that? Test each leg that is connected to the pcb? Or black to ground and then test each leg?

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Intripped wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 20:58 also, be sure to connect your guitar to the INPUT jack and not the OUTPUT jack (happened many times to me...)
Oh yeah, or wired the FX IN and FX OUT backwards (did this one as well)...
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

John.Bedford wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 21:19 How can I do that?
For continuity, put your DMM in "diode" mode. Some DMMs beep when there is continuity. Or check DC resistance to be zero at each end of the ribbon cable and between each pair of 3PDT switch.

To check the pot, measure the DC resistance between wiper (middle lug) and the grounded one. It should read 0 when set at min, and 100kA when maxed.
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

Intripped wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 20:58 also, be sure to connect your guitar to the INPUT jack and not the OUTPUT jack (happened many times to me...)
Did that and I still got nothing when I turned on the pedal.

John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

lolbou wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 21:23 To check the pot, measure the DC resistance between wiper (middle lug) and the grounded one. It should read 0 when set at min, and 100kA when maxed.

Yeap it worked as you said, 0 when set at min, and 100kA when maxed.

John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

Hi,

I'll speak in simpleton terms, beeps :lol:

Tested how the pot is connected to the pcb and I get no beep for the black cable / the right lug which I think is ground. Is this an issue?
Left/green cable and middle/red cable they beap.

Tested the ribbon and they beap too.
Tested CI to IN beeps but not always, V to V beep, G to G got another beep, DU to CO boom another beep! :D
Is an issue that the first one is not very consistent? I'm sensing it is but it may be the way I test them.

Tested the diode socket and it's working as it should and the diode is put the right way too.

Tested the jacks and I think I may have an issue with one of them. When I test it I get no beep...

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG-6187.JPG
IMG-6192.JPG
IMG-6194.JPG
IMG-6193.JPG

John.Bedford
Information

Post by John.Bedford »

Hello,

I resoldered that jack and it worked just fine!!!

It's fuzzy today in Bedford!!!

Thank you.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

good news,
have a nice fuzzy day!