Pigtronix - Mothership

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
affos
Information

Post by affos »

OK.... So this is all quite preliminary. There are a few spots that I know the schematic is incomplete / wrong - i.e. the ring mod section. I did not draw the power supply section at all yet. I also didn't populate the component values. The caps in particular are tough because the SMD caps in my version aren't labeled. Maybe someone with the thru-hole version can provide those. I will work on that stuff as time allows but I figure most of you want to see the general topology, not build a clone!

I have to say the performance of this thing is really kind of underwhelming. I think that rather than tracking well it does a decent job of hiding the fact that it tracks kind of slowly. I have played other analog P-V converters based on the sample & hold approach rather than the tachometer approach like this one that track MUCH faster.

Still though - there are some interesting bits in there! I'm going to try a mod to bypass the ring mod and use the 2nd VCO as a straight VCO rather than always going through the ring mod. I think that would be way more useful!

If you see errors or have any suggestions, fire away...
Attachments
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet7.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet6.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet5.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet4.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet3.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet2.jpg
Mothership_Preliminary_10-4-20_Sheet1.jpg

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

affos wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 03:13 I have to say the performance of this thing is really kind of underwhelming. I think that rather than tracking well it does a decent job of hiding the fact that it tracks kind of slowly.
The circuit is surprisingly underwhelming too... I hoped to see some inventive new tricks but it does just look like a compressor and gate to mask standard tracking circuitry.

Thanks for taking the time to pull the veil off though!

affos
Information

Post by affos »

Yeah - my thoughts exactly. I was thinking that there was going to be some magic in there... Not really.

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Superbly clear circuit drawings!!