Half-way down latching PCB push switch?

Looking for a particular component or hardware part and you just cannot find it? Got comoonents surplus and want to get rid of it? Post it all here... No sales of working pedals, put these in the 'Seen for sale' section please.
microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

Toying with some new pedal build ideas and just wondering if anyone has ever seen a pedal-sized PCB-mount push-button switch which has a 'half-way down' position as well as a full-way down position? Both latching states.

I could be raving mad :D but I'd imagine it working like this

Position 1: Unpressed -> contacts 1 and 2 (or example) shorted
Position 2: Half-pressed -> contacts 3 and 4 (for example) shorted
Position 3: Full-pressed -> contacts 5 and 6 (for example) shorted

So with one switch you get 3 functions, or 2 variations on one function + off.

I've never seen this on any pedal, but just thought someone might know of a manufacturer / supplier.
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

I suspect this sort of configuration is not very popular because we don't have a lot of fine motor control in our feet:
microbailey wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 22:56 Both latching states.
Say you've half-pressed it once. Are you certain you could unlatch the 1st stage without touching the second? With boots on and subs roaring near the stage?
If that's something you really need, one way to do it is by lengthening the travel, i.e. with an actual pedal https://ssccontrols.com/product/f222-f- ... ot-switch/ https://www.taiwantrade.com/product/two ... 17646.html#
Otherwise why not use off / short / long press for the 3 distinct states?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

microbailey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by microbailey »

Sorry to clarify this is not for a foot switch! (I have enough trouble oprating my looper pedal as it is :roll: ) it's for a miniature PCB panel switch.
Yes could do with length of presses but that assumes my circuit is digital and I have led status.
"There's something about a Gucci loafer kicking on a fuzz pedal" Alex Turner, Arctic Monkeys

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Maybe a slide switch will be easier to implement,, assuming it's hand operation you want?
Phil.

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

This is a bad idea.

Button should only exist in two possible stages: pressed or not.
By no means there should be any mid-stages because it makes it difficult to interract with the button and it also would require you to implement additional indication to show in which stage the button currently is, which is pure nonsence.

People do study such things in Hardware interface design (HID) classes.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

microbailey wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 13:41 this is not for a foot switch
Well shame on me for assuming.
But yeah, latching pushbuttons are hard enough to read, a 3 position toggle switch does the same thing, takes up the same panel space and unambiguously shows its state. Similar for slide switches.
A camera shutter release is a notable exception (though not latching): thing is you don't look at it while in use.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

plush wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 14:56 This is a bad idea.

Button should only exist in two possible stages: pressed or not.
By no means there should be any mid-stages because it makes it difficult to interract with the button and it also would require you to implement additional indication to show in which stage the button currently is, which is pure nonsence.

People do study such things in Hardware interface design (HID) classes.
This thing is very common in digital camera triggers. Half-press for focus, full press to take the picture. I have no idea how it's made.
I do not think it's bad UI, on the contrary, when there is a proper tactile feedback.
I only give negative feedback.

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

JiM wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 18:21
This thing is very common in digital camera triggers. Half-press for focus, full press to take the picture. I have no idea how it's made.
I do not think it's bad UI, on the contrary, when there is a proper tactile feedback.
This is different. Camera triggers (focus/shutter release combos) are made such because they are tactile and only operate under one simple condition - they don't latch and there's no need for them to indicate their status.