Mutron Bi-Phase Optical Switch Question

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Trying to repair a '78 Bi-Phase. The B side does not work. Dry signal goes through, no effect. LED on that side does not light up. Footswitch was tested and works fine. A-side works perfectly and sounds amazing. Took apart, removed the B side LED and it is dead. Removed the optical switch (which is in the same circuit) and it is dead. Measured the same voltage going to the B side as goes to the A side. So, what do I replace the opto-switch with? Don't mind making one, but cannot find a similar LDR. I removed the LDR side of the optical switch on the A side, and tested it with the circuit on and it tested at about 1k. Got no reading when the A side LED is off. So, do I need an LDR that is 1k light and infinite (or very high) resistance dark? I know I can adjust a trimmer if things are off a bit, but am hoping to get as close to original as possible. Thanks.
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Didn't they use VTL5C1 in that? Should work I guess.

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Those are rated at 20k light, but on further reading I think the resistance goes down if the input current goes up. Probably need another trimmer in place of the stock resistor - thanks. Those are easy to come by.
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

PMowdes
Information

Post by PMowdes »

You'll have a hard job replacing the opto pot, but that just controls the depth if I remember correctly. You should be able to get side b running by shorting the footswitch pad to ground

I'll have a dig around I have the schematics somewhere

Have a look at the builds on deadendfx.com
We have the original and a modified version that does away with the need for the opto pot.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

pmkipp wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 23:47 So, do I need an LDR that is 1k light and infinite (or very high) resistance dark?
Hi pmkipp,

You can try building a DIY optocoupler using a 5 mm high efficiency led and one LDR facing each other into a piece of heat shrink tube.

The photocell (AFAIK) with lowest resistance when are illuminated -using a green led- is the 5506

https://juriedengineering.com/products/ ... istor-5506

Let us know if this help to repair this unit.

Cheers,
Jose

PMowdes
Information

Post by PMowdes »

Nearly all of the Biphase schematics are here.......

http://www.crazy-patroche.com/article-m ... 52497.html

The expression pedal schematic is here

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 86#p162986

There is a mistake on the crazy patroche schematic

The pedal input should be J6-4 (the input that runs into R78 / R79 / IC216A - 3)

J6 pins should be

J6-1 > GND
J6-2 > Phaser 2 switch
J6-3 > Phaser 1 switch
J6-4 > Expression pedal in / out
J6-5 > +15V decoupled