Report Forum Problems and Make Forum Wishes Here...

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Can you add a dark theme, thanks.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Frank Triggs wrote: 22 May 2021, 12:18 YouTube link in profile is wrong. My YouTube does NOT have a user/ prefix, it has only a channel/ prefix, before my YouTube channel.

This works: www.youtube.com/channel/UCXRY6s3EyLJd5n6kYztFvjg
This doesn't: www.youtube.com/user/UCXRY6s3EyLJd5n6kYztFvjg

Thanks.

You stumbled on an old part of the forum software and this is the first time I gave it any thought. Actually not only me - until now, nobody used it. Which was good because I could update the field to the new YouTube channel URL syntax without affecting anyone else. From now on the profile YouTube field will need the channel ID, instead of the legacy channel username which newer channels do not have anymore. So no full or partial URL, only the ID.

Further info on this Google help page.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

CheapPedalCollector wrote: 22 May 2021, 21:49 Can you add a dark theme, thanks.
The current theme (or "style" in phpBB lingo) carries a heavy technical debt because of its age. So - IMO - rather than add a dark theme to it, it would be way more feasible to make a new style from the scratch. Which I did start a while ago, but it will take a while to reach a usable form. It is a lot of work to make it behave in a fresh phpBB install and more so to make it friends with the various extensions in use. To complicate things, phpBB 4.0 is in the works since 2016 - and that includes a new official style which is supposed to be modern. They managed to get to an alpha version this year, so all the work may be for an already obsolete base.

So, sorry, not anytime soon, but do not give up hope yet.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I'm unable to search for terms like "BOSS OD-3" , it will now ignore the "OD-3" part in advanced search.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

CheapPedalCollector wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 21:56 I'm unable to search for terms like "BOSS OD-3" , it will now ignore the "OD-3" part in advanced search.
Hi there, yes, this is an issue. The forum software allows us to setup which words get indexed. Turning the number from 3 down to 2 will require the engines to also index each occurrence of words like 'an,' 'of,' 'us,' etc...

What we should do from now on at least, is omit al hyphenation in names: Boss ODS3...

Thanks for the feedback, sorry took so long to reply.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

The problem is that MySQL uses hyphens (and everything else, except alphanumerics and the underscore, for that matter) as delimiters. So when you search "dsc-20m", it breaks it in two chunks - "dsc" and "20m", then searches for posts containing both of them. Which seems a good enough solution until any of the chunks is shorter than the lower limit (3 as modman said), when it gets ignored by the search. Lowering the threshold to 2 would not work because many of the terms contain only a single digit after the hyphen.
The solution would be to make the search consider hyphens as word characters instead of delimiters. One way would be recompiling MySQL - a monumental rabbit hole, maintenance-wise. Another one would be creating a new collation to be used by the post text column in the database, but gets complicated because we're using a complicated character set (UTF-8) which requires complicated configuration (didn't give up on this one, yet). And yet another way would be to use Sphinx Search (an external search server). Which would have better performance, but seems to me an even more monumental rabbit hole, maintenance-wise.

I don't think that removing hyphens from now on would do much good: we already have a lot of content containing hyphens, it is difficult to make members to follow much simpler rules and the original names do contain hyphens. Clearly, this is Boss-Roland's fault :lol: .

As a side note, we're using the MySQL native fulltext search because it seems the best compromise between maintenance and storage needs, performance and results.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

When viewing unread posts and checking marked read, they stay unread and I don't get the actual posts that are unread, this seems to have been happening for awhile now.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

Sorry for the delay, I went looking at the code for that particular feature and forgot what was I doing (oooh, shiny!). It works for me on Linux/Firefox and Android/Firefox, before and after installing privacy addons like uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger. Seems to be caused by something in your environment. Try clearing the browser memory.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

I just have to go manually check those posts, then refresh, and the new stuff shows up. I already tried clearing history.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

I'll presume that manually checking posts means clicking on the "Mark all read" link.
Screenshot_20210908_135114.png

Well, that's a link, meaning that it asks the server for a new page, which it obliges after it performs the marking:
Screenshot_20210908_135137.png

So no refresh needed, as is the case with any link that goes to another page.

Then it reloads the homepage:
Screenshot_20210908_135200.png

That should be the way it goes. I understood that in your case nothing happens when you click on the "Mark all read" link. If you copy the link address and open it in a new tab, does it do anything?

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Pressing the mark all read sometimes doesn't work at all, they remain "unread", sometimes even going and reading the posts doesn't mark them read. Very odd.

The problem seems to occur when I use the "mark all read" button, or "mark subforum read" button.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Its permanently broken now for days, cannot make it work. New posts are never cleared when I look at them, pressing mark all read doesn't work. :/

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

It's like any debugging - maybe if you'd tell more about your environment (operating system, browser, device, versions, and so on) we could do more about it. An unreproducible problem is hardly solvable.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I've now marked all read myself, let's check again tomorrow, but for now it seems to work for me.
Even with a Macbook running Safari...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Windows 7 Enterprise, Pale Moon.

I'm on many forums which use the same software and there's no issue, I think my forum uses it (I'm not the maintainer tho).

PRR
Information

Post by PRR »

CheapPedalCollector wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 21:56 I'm unable to search for terms like "BOSS OD-3" , it will now ignore the "OD-3" part in advanced search.
Google site:freestompboxes.org "BOSS OD-3"
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afreestompboxes.org+"BOSS+OD-3"
"About 10 results"... is that plausible?

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

PRR wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 23:15
Google site:freestompboxes.org "BOSS OD-3"
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Afreestompboxes.org+"BOSS+OD-3"
"About 10 results"... is that plausible?
One fundamental difference between Google's search and the one on our forum is this: Google returns links to pages, the search on FSB returns links to either posts or topics. We have more posts than pages, and more pages than topics. At most, Google will index all the pages from the dedicated topics, plus the ones not-dedicated-but-containing-"BOSS OD-3", if any. Then the Google AI will think about relevance, duplicate content, and so on.
Also, keep in mind that quoting the expression will make the search to look for that exact expression and disregard pages containing only one of the words.
On the other hand, it makes the search account for the "OD-3" part.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Wow!
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.27.31.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.27.31.png (61.67 KiB) Viewed 23685 times

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

I have a idea that might help with searching the forum.

Mod it to tone sucking bypass... seriously...sort of.

In the DIY projects section there is the Announcements sub folder that has the Topic "projects listed by type of effect".

There is a similar Topic in the Vintage Stompbox folder called "stompbox schematic index".

I don't know much about script writing but my idea is to replace the Topics in the Announcement folders with a closed post that alphabetically list the posts that have been marked with a verification stamp (green in the subject) in the parent directory.

That would essentially be a script automated sticky for each category that offers a list of mod verified posts.

For it to work properly part of the verification process would have to ensure that the subject is named properly for the alphabetic listing.

It would definitely help if your searching for commonly built pedals that are hard to find with the search function due to model # issues.

Plus it would should help general organization and the effort towards stabilization of the forum's dead links or whatever you call it when Modman does his magic. :worship:
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Thanks for the comments, and you are right, all the content is really just a database with a nice front.
The indexes were made long time ago, and I really should delete them, because they are not up to date.

But you can turn any of the main folders immediately into an index, simply by using the SORT FUNCTION on SUBJECT / DESCENDING - at the bottom of the page.
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 18.02.35.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 18.02.35.png (66.33 KiB) Viewed 23600 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 18.02.52.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 18.02.52.png (21.51 KiB) Viewed 23600 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 18.04.39.png
viewforum.php?f=19&sk=s&sd=a&start=10