Ripthorn's MLS-5: A MIDI Controllable Loop Switcher

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

Last fall I bought a Boss MS-3, which I quite like. I rarely use, but like to have, several effects, so I thought it was perfect. Having three switchable loops was cool, too. Until I looked at all my overdrives, that is. I decided I would like to have more, so I started digging in to how to do it. I settled on using an Arduino nano-based solution that would allow me to connect the Boss MS-3 MIDI out to my switcher so that I can switch loops via patch changes or enable/disable them locally via footswitches. I have it all in a 1032l enclosure, like this:

I have decided that it works well enough to offer it to the DIY community. I have a several page build doc, perf board layout, code, etc. that can be gotten by going here: https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home/mls-5. Please let me know how you get on. Thanks, and rock on!
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

I think this is exactly what I need to expand my Switch Doctor. Thanks!

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

Having trouble opening the zip files. Could you take a look at that, Rip?
Thanks

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

I'll take a look at it. I will also be updating the build doc in the next day or two with the full schematic.

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

I had no issues on either a Mac or PC with the .zip file. However, I have just updated the build document with the schematic, so please try again and let me know if you are successful in downloading it.

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Ben N »

All good--when I clicked the "Clone or download" button instead of on the file names, I got the master file, and everything opens fine (after I updated my copies of DIYLC and Libreoffice). But I don't see an schematic, and note that the files appear to be five days old. No worries--the layout looks to be clear enough.

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

Interesting, I updated the document with the schematic today. This is my first time using github, so I don't know exactly all the ins and outside. Good luck with our!

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

A little video demo of it in action:

sirlurch
Information

Post by sirlurch »

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Any thoughts on a matrix switcher that would allow you to change the order of the effects in different patches?

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

sirlurch wrote:This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Any thoughts on a matrix switcher that would allow you to change the order of the effects in different patches?
I have certainly thought about it. It would require the use of a cross point switch chip, which is a high-pin count SMD chip that runs about $15/each. However, one could do quite a lot. I've worked on the design and code, but haven't done a board or actually tested it out yet.

yeahiii
Information

Post by yeahiii »

Thanks a lot for sharing! I am thinking about building one of those based on a teensy. Did you ground the enclosure to audio or digital ground?

dsqu895
Information

Post by dsqu895 »

Ripthorn wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 17:14
sirlurch wrote:This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

I have certainly thought about it. It would require the use of a cross point switch chip, which is a high-pin count SMD chip that runs about $15/each. However, one could do quite a lot. I've worked on the design and code, but haven't done a board or actually tested it out yet.
Hey Rip, Did you ever go any further with the matrix switching? A google search doesn't seem to bring any results for a DIY loop switcher with pedal order swapping

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

I did a little more development on it, but it's still mostly schematics and pseudo code. I should revisit it. I don't think it should be overly hard, I just keep getting distracted 😆

dsqu895
Information

Post by dsqu895 »

I don't mean to nag, but did you ever take this further?

brejna
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by brejna »

Ripthorn wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 00:54 I did a little more development on it, but it's still mostly schematics and pseudo code. I should revisit it. I don't think it should be overly hard, I just keep getting distracted 😆
Any chance for revision? :) :)
I did pcb and it works, but debounce time is killing me. Also I wish there was a PC message that turns off all loops at once.
Attachments
MLS555.jpg

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

brejna wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 18:36 I did pcb and it works, but debounce time is killing me. Also I wish there was a PC message that turns off all loops at once.
from the Build Doc
Switch Debouncing Time
In the code found in the .zip file, the switch debounce time is perhaps a little generous. I have found that this results in needing to hold the onboard switches just a hair longer than a quick tap. If this annoys you, you can reduce the debounce delay in the code and make it a little more responsive, but note that doing so may result in a higher occurrence of false triggers. I haven't found any to date, but just note that it's a possibility.
I guess this could be the line in the code

unsigned long debounceDelay = 10

brejna
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by brejna »

karul wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 19:28
brejna wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 18:36 I did pcb and it works, but debounce time is killing me. Also I wish there was a PC message that turns off all loops at once.
from the Build Doc
Switch Debouncing Time
In the code found in the .zip file, the switch debounce time is perhaps a little generous. I have found that this results in needing to hold the onboard switches just a hair longer than a quick tap. If this annoys you, you can reduce the debounce delay in the code and make it a little more responsive, but note that doing so may result in a higher occurrence of false triggers. I haven't found any to date, but just note that it's a possibility.
I guess this could be the line in the code

unsigned long debounceDelay = 10
Thanks for help. I already tried that, but is not helping. Loops are active when you step from switch and this the issue for me. If you hold switch nothing happens, only when you release it.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

brejna wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 19:40Thanks for help. I already tried that, but is not helping. Loops are active when you step from switch and this the issue for me. If you hold switch nothing happens, only when you release it.
In that case, the code for the buttons status/activity detection should be rewritten.