How important are buffers in high voltage tube pedals?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Reachahighernoon »

This is a weird thing I noticed, the Meatsmoke preamp has a buffer at the end of the circuit and a switch that allows attenuation of the output signal
Verellen Meatsmoke.png
While various Kingsley pedals for example doesnt seem to have one
Kingsley Harlot schemtic.jpg
On the Kingsley I dont see much of signal attenuation compared to the Meatsmoke, considering this is a high voltage tube pedal doesnt this make the output of the Kingsley too hot for most pedals after it?

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:14 On the Kingsley I dont see much of signal attenuation
R11 with the volume pot are attenuating 10:1. Marginally usable output impedance, a buffer wouldn't hurt.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Reachahighernoon
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Reachahighernoon »

FiveseveN wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:36
Reachahighernoon wrote: 16 May 2022, 15:14 On the Kingsley I dont see much of signal attenuation
R11 with the volume pot are attenuating 10:1. Marginally usable output impedance, a buffer wouldn't hurt.
So R11 is the reason why the output isnt too hot, even at full volume?

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Right.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)