Guyatone - FZ-X Fuzz Monster  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

Hey folks!

Andy and I have been working on the Guyatone Fuzz Monster. I did a thread on some of the Guyatone FLIP series pedals a few weeks back at diysb, and one by one, we'll dissect them, and post the traces as we go. I have a Fuzz Monster, and Hell Monster on hand, and a Funky Box on the way from Japan. I'll be cracking them open as we go down this FLIP'd journey (pardon the pun :mrgreen: ).

For now, here is the schematic, courtesy of UKToecutter (Andy);

Please note that the power section has been modified for AC power. Normally, these pedals use a 12VDC wall wart, but I found that even the Guyatone branded wall warts are noisy, especially at high fuzz levels. They are crap, but, by adding a AC to DC scheme directly to a potential clone PCB (see Sourcing/Trading section), the noise can be pretty well killed. As for the balance of the schematic, I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb, and it matches the unit.

Go forth, and profuzzinate. 8)
No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

digi2t
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by digi2t »

PCB's now for sale in the buy/sell section.
No matter how many times I cut it, it`s STILL too short!

https://www.deadendfx.com/

B3ar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B3ar »

Anyone attempted a build guide or a BOM yet? (I ask after sending the money. :horsey: )

andymic
Information

Post by andymic »

Dino will post a link to the build guide (includes the BOM) on Monday.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I might order a PCB next fortnight..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

kujoalt
Information
my favorite amplifier: Silvertone 1484
Completed builds: Trombetta Bone Machine clone, Unidrive clone, heavily modded Boss DS1, Burns Buzzaround, many discarded projects, etc.

Post by kujoalt »

Howdy!
Is an updated link available?
Thank you!