Schematics to PCB Layout Software Automation?

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
Noguffay
Information

Post by Noguffay »

Total newbie here. Never used a PCB layout app in my life. I can read schems, I can build some electronic devices and paint by number DIY pedals. I'm pretty good at soldering and reworking. But I've never delved into PCB layout apps.

Here's my question:

Can PCB layout software/apps now take a schematic and "Automatically" create a PCB layout from it? If so do free apps do this? Do any do this? Is it possible? I get that there will always be constraints. Like: I/O placement, PCB shape, footprint sq-inch, single sided, two sided or more...etc. That said if the user were to create the shape, the size, the I/O placement/type, the controls, the number of sides, wouldn't it be pretty simple to program a app to use algorism to create pretty accurate traces, that then could be tweaked here and there if need be? This must exist. Like I said I just have never ever used PCB layout apps, and I want to start and I was hoping for a leg up with a app that had this automation

Noguffay
Information

Post by Noguffay »

So what would we really be talking about here? The ability to take a "specific" type of schematic file, a gif? bmp? pdf? a spice file? etc. Read the component model numbers and all specific values and params, place said components according to "stages" pcb size and shape constraints, then place the most efficient traces possible according to param constraints and, operating conditions?

This must exist, I'm just 20 years behind the ball here, right?

Noguffay
Information

Post by Noguffay »

I guess it does exist. I just have to find the one that will work for me at a cost or free that works for me also.

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/ ... pcb-layout

Which free PCB layout apps offer some schematic capture ability?