Increase low end response from CE-2 Clone

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Eightsevenzero
Information

Post by Eightsevenzero »

I recently built a Cephid chorus from PedalPCB (CE-2 clone). Works great and all component values were tested before building to make sure everything was in spec. I compared it to a Danelectro Cool Cat 18v (cs-505 clone) and the cool cat had a bit more bass response which I tend to favor. Does anyone know what caps I should modify to get a bit more bass response out of a ce-2? I have attached a schem. Thanks!

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

The C12 cap is critical for the bass amount in the wet signal.
For the CE-2 (for guitar) is 33nF, in the CEB-2 (for bass) the low end are slightly cut for a more focused lowest notes, and it use a 12nF, indeed.
In the CE-3 that cap is a 68nF. In the CE-5 (a bit different because the chip) there's a 1uF.
So, you can make some experiments with that cap, but I don't know how many difference you can hear.
I can't tell you more than it, but let us to know.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

C14 on the BOSS CE-2/CE-2B schematic, C21 on CE-3, C17 on pedalpcb

CE-2/CE-2B
viewtopic.php?t=4862&hilit=boss+ce+2+bass

CE-3
viewtopic.php?t=471

https://www.electrosmash.com/boss-ce-2-analysis
Attachments
ce-2.webp

Eightsevenzero
Information

Post by Eightsevenzero »

Thanks!

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

You are using it with bass or guitar? For bass you may consider implement the effect level pot (turning it in CE-2B), insert 250k pot between C17 and R35. For guitar there were some mods, take a look over here:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=101

There were some other mods like led LED blinking at the same rate as the LFO etc..Search you will will find them.

Eightsevenzero
Information

Post by Eightsevenzero »

Guitar only