Rift Amplification - EL34  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Manfred wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 23:25 I think it would have been even cooler to build the circuit into an old EL34 tube like a ship in a bottle. :lol:
Something similar as the nixies displays:

Cheers,
Jose

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

OP-Amp type analyzer with nixies display. :lol: :thumbsup

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Manfred wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 23:25 I think it would have been even cooler to build the circuit into an old EL34 tube like a ship in a bottle. :lol:
I am now obsessed with this idea, when i find a broken EL34 i try to build the thing for fun. :twisted: :idea:

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Manfred wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:12
I am now obsessed with this idea, when i find a broken EL34 i try to build the thing for fun. :twisted: :idea:
I have 4 that I had to replace in a 100W tube amp that had lost its bias voltage so they red plated but they will be a bit expensive to post to you.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

deltafred wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 21:46
Manfred wrote: 10 Jun 2022, 20:12
I have 4 that I had to replace in a 100W tube amp that had lost its bias voltage so they red plated but they will be a bit expensive to post to you.
I think shipping it would be more than a bit expensive.
Don't worry i found one in my collection.
Now I have to figure out how to separate the socket and the bulb without destroying anything.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Manfred wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 08:47 Now I have to figure out how to separate the socket and the bulb without destroying anything.
Hi Manfred,

Perhaps you can buy a laboratory glass tube (those employed in a chemical or medical labs), if were manufactured at required diameter:

Cut to the apropriate lenght and glue to a discarded bakelite tube socket.

Cheers,
Jose

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I ordered a diamond cutting disc for my Dremel and/or Proxxon machine, with it I will try to cut open the glass bulb along the edge of the socket.
What fun you do not do everything. :)

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Manfred wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 15:34 ... I will try to cut open the glass bulb along the edge of the socket.
Take into account that a valve (even if don't pass a functional test) still have vacuum into their glass envelope.
Perhaps the first action will be remove the adhesive using acetone or similar solvent, unsold each pin wire, and carefully cut the glass spigot that are hidden at the center of the socket.
When the vaccum were removed this way the operation to cut the contour of the tube will be attempted, I think... :roll:

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Take into account that a valve (even if don't pass a functional test) still have vacuum into their glass envelope.
Perhaps the first action will be remove the adhesive using acetone or similar solvent, unsold each pin wire, and carefully cut the glass spigot that are hidden at the center of the socket.
When the vaccum were removed this way the operation to cut the contour of the tube will be attempted, I think... :roll:
Thanks for the hints i will follow your instructions.

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

ppluis0 wrote: 13 Jun 2022, 16:08 ...unsold each pin wire, and carefully cut the glass spigot that are hidden at the center of the socket.
Apologize for quote myself... :mrgreen:

There is an image of the mentioned glass spigot of an octal tube at this link:
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-018.htm

I think that if we gentle cut at this point the tube can be dissected.

Cheers,
Jose

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Hi Jose.
Thanks for your efforts.
I have taken a close look at the EL34.
The gap between the glass bulb and the pin base is very narrow, so it is difficult to get a solvent to flow in there.
The socket was pushed onto the wires from the bulb with the glue as shown in the article and then the wires were soldered to the pins.
If I could also manage to suck the solder out of the pins it will be difficult to pry the socket out with heating each pin.
But there is no stable support for the glass bulb where you can place the screwdriver like on the metal case.
another way is to take two tubes and get intact glass bulb on one and intact pin base on the other and then put the two together later.
To insert the circuit into the bulb I have to cut the glass all around anyway.
That is where I got myself into a bit of a mess. :lol:

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Would an octal pin base be useful? Such as used to build bias testers and solidstate valve rectifier substitutes:

https://www.mojotone.com/Octal-Tube-Bas ... y=1&page=1

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Build circuit point to point in 3D as to fit a vacuum tube
Make sure all external connections (in, out, pots) are on one side
Make a mold using an EL34
Suspend circuit inside mold and pour clear epoxy resin
Mount epoxied circuit to tube base, connections soldered to tube pins.
Get Hammond box, mount tube base inside
Connect in and out jacks etc to the proper tube base pins
Now you can plug in any circuit like it's a tube...

Completely unnecessary, but probably a hit...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

modman wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 10:27 Build circuit point to point in 3D as to fit a vacuum tube

You could do a whole plug-and-play board like this. Unfortunately you've really only got enough pins left for one pot, so you'd want to design circuits based around a common pot value.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

modman wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 10:27 Build circuit point to point in 3D as to fit a vacuum tube

Your suggestion almost meets the way I intend to implement, only I do not want to pour the interior. :thumbsup
I plan to build the circuit between thick stable wires, possibly made of brass, and then push it into the glass bulb.
I will also add an LED for illumination. But that will take some time until I get to it. First let's see if the EL43 survives the disassembly.
Maybe someone else is so crazy to dare to the project. :?:
I agree, totally unnecessary, but I would say that is a marriage between art and electronics.
There have been things in galleries that no one thought would find their way there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 15:23 I think its cool. It's cooler than JHS or Wampler copying everything, including DIY projects and products of smaller builders for their entire careers.
Sorry there friend, but not quite accurate. I can't speak for Josh but as far as Wampler is concerned some things are derivatives and some are not. All of this is driven by the market, and sometimes just by what I think is fun to play through. However, I've always been very clear about this.

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

It's just my opinion that a meticulous wiring of a circuit that's not new is cooler than a mass produced version of something not new.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 21:42 It's just my opinion that a meticulous wiring of a circuit that's not new is cooler than a mass produced version of something not new.
I'd have to agree on many levels - it's one of the reason I love Reeve's stuff so much - the inside is a work of art.

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Everything is derivative so who cares, small changes can make big differences. That's a silly argument to make.

I can appreciate the artistic side of this kind of thing, but I don't appreciate the false marketing claim and that seems scummy to me. From a repairman perspective, it's dumb and when it breaks it goes in the parts bin. I've never been a fan of form over function, these are tools to make art, not the art itself other than the art of making a circuit that sounds pleasing to the ear or serves a purpose. It's also an art to make a product that will last forever and be easily maintainable, see Fender amplifiers from Leo.