DSM & Humboldt Simplifier

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Hi! I have an interesting device. I started working on drawing his schematic. Everything is clear. Give me time and I'll draw a diagram. If someone already has a scheme, we will cooperate. :horsey:

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

smanq
Information

Post by smanq »

Any news?
Looking at the posted image, I've completed presence & resonance stage with component values. I've also slightly redrawn the left part of the tube switching: when the 2 switches are open, the EL34 is selected.

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

I removed each capacitor from the board and measured it. The headphone amplifier is made on MAX9722 and is not of interest. The balanced outputs scheme is standard.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Some screenshots from the ltspice simulation. All the switches in the middle position. Gain pot - 250k, mic position 50k, presence and resonance @ 1/2.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

All of the above in a single view.

jhergonz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie and Soldano SLO100

Post by jhergonz »

can someone reupload the photos? seems like they're broken.

TheKoala
Information

Post by TheKoala »

Do we know for sure that Ly-Rock's simplifier is the same as the original ?
I mean, it wouldn't be a surprise but maybe there are differences ?

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Hi! I don't have the original, it is very expensive in Russia. But this device shows the basic meaning of the scheme. I modified the circuit for my needs by adding a more detailed simulation of the speakers and replaced the preamp. Many of the ideas of the schematic are original and proved to be very useful.

My dream is to draw a schematic of "origin effects revivaldrive compact", but this device costs even more, and copies are not being made yet.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Saruman - what modifications did you incorporate into a speaker sim?

What's after the 250p cap? Balanced output?

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

What's after the 250p cap? Balanced output? - YES!

What modifications did you incorporate into a speaker sim? - Exact imitation JENSEN C 12 N-16 and 4x12 Celestion Vintage 30

Dsmnoisemaker
Information

Post by Dsmnoisemaker »

The ly rock is a ripoff of the first batch.
I have changed a lot of stuff since then, but the structure is mostly the same.

TheKoala
Information

Post by TheKoala »

Hi DSM, seeing a reply from you even "confirming" the copy is sad indeed ! Hopefully, this won't affect business much. Your pedal is an incredible and very pratical piece of gear !
Do you have any idea where they got the schematics and layout ? I have a Walrus Julianna clone of theirs, wanted to see how it was built, the layout looks like an exact copy of Walrus's. Obviously they could've just recreated it by reproducing the same exact layout, but I'm also thinkingna PCB manufacturer may have leaked it.

Dsmnoisemaker
Information

Post by Dsmnoisemaker »

TheKoala wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 06:30 Hi DSM, seeing a reply from you even "confirming" the copy is sad indeed ! Hopefully, this won't affect business much. Your pedal is an incredible and very pratical piece of gear !
Do you have any idea where they got the schematics and layout ? I have a Walrus Julianna clone of theirs, wanted to see how it was built, the layout looks like an exact copy of Walrus's. Obviously they could've just recreated it by reproducing the same exact layout, but I'm also thinkingna PCB manufacturer may have leaked it.
At first we thought it was a leak from the pcb fab. But there were some slight differences with our design. Probably it was a chinese distributor that we sent some samples from our first batch (that had some errors we had to correct by hand) . The pcb was probably x-rayed and traced. So far it has not affected us too much, and we know it's something that happens when a product is successful, so it was kind of flattering and disgusting at the same time. The chinese knockoff sometimes even works as a gateway for users to get our original stuff..the current version sounds much better than that old one, and the DLX is incredible (and the most complex thing I've ever designed).
We try to keep launching new stuff as often as possible to keep up with rippofs, too. We have now the Silver linings, the clearcomp, and soon we will be launching another one.

It was a bit different with the omnicabsim tracing, since it was my only source of income and i was struggling, so it hurt more.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Saruman - I have a question about diodes in feedback loop of the first opamp. Are these LEDs with such low forward voltage? 0.7V is rather unusual for a LED. I'm not sure if I've seen a LED with Vf lower than 1.7V (more or less).

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Yes, these are not LEDs. I soldered them out and measured. 0.7V

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Saruman - I have some questions. Can you please check private messages?

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Send /return - are OPAMP buffered.
switching wiring for the "power tubes" - Everything is right. This is a correction of the upper frequencies.
There are only 9 volts everywhere.

temol
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by temol »

Thank you for the reply. So here's another one - on a drawing of a pcb there's a 3n3 cap - circled on a pic below. Looks like it's in series with 2k2.
Also, power tubes - what kind of a switch is this? on/off/on (in the unit that you traced)? I'm puzzled a little bit because order of the switching on the schematic does not match the enclosure.
Schematic - 6L6, EL34, KT88 vs enclosure - EL34, 6L6, KT88

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

on the PCB, the switch is off/on(connects off and on)/on1 (connects on and on1). On the diagram I drew an on/off/on switch. As in the first editions of this device.

Oloorin
Information

Post by Oloorin »

Have you traced what does the "spread" switch do?