Diezel VH4- Channel 3 Preamp Idea

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
ReverendBow
Information
my favorite amplifier: the BME V-12 I built
Completed builds: Tube Amps:
15 Watt (6V6GT Push pull)
3 Watt (6AK6 Push Pull)
Fire Fly

Fuzz:
Mosrite Fuzzrite Clone
Roland AF-60 Bee Gee Clone
Ampeg Scrambler Clone

Other:
Surfy bear Reverb tank
Boss Slow Gear Clone

Post by ReverendBow »

Reachahighernoon wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 04:00
Lol, though channel 3/4 switch seems like a good idea

And my board works too, though it's channel 4, insane levels of gain and compression though again I did not include the post tonestack cathode follower
I am going to try the Post Tone Stack stages... more tubes look cooler.... and you tone, the way it looks effects the tone...
8)

Also, I have an 6V6 power section amp that the preamp is 4 gain stages, no Cathode follower before the tone stack... it is a gain beast

dorrisant
Information

Post by dorrisant »

Any progress on this? I have a request for something similar, 50 watt amp though.

I was wondering if there was a drawing for the dropping string. Maybe the power tube plate tube voltages would be enough of a clue to get the preamp up to 400v.

ReverendBow
Information
my favorite amplifier: the BME V-12 I built
Completed builds: Tube Amps:
15 Watt (6V6GT Push pull)
3 Watt (6AK6 Push Pull)
Fire Fly

Fuzz:
Mosrite Fuzzrite Clone
Roland AF-60 Bee Gee Clone
Ampeg Scrambler Clone

Other:
Surfy bear Reverb tank
Boss Slow Gear Clone

Post by ReverendBow »

dorrisant wrote: 13 Jun 2023, 04:49 Any progress on this? I have a request for something similar, 50 watt amp though.

I was wondering if there was a drawing for the dropping string. Maybe the power tube plate tube voltages would be enough of a clue to get the preamp up to 400v.
Hey dude,

I have the board made up and populated. I have been traveling a lot for work so I haven't had a chance to move forward on it

leandrooliveira
Information

Post by leandrooliveira »

bmxguitarsbmx wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 18:19
Reachahighernoon wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 16:34 I was actually wondering about the post tonestack stage and how much it affects the overall sound of the amp because from what I saw of solid state versions in pedal form the only thing that exists post tonestack is a small booster buffer and the Deep/Presence controls

I designed my own version but of the channel 4, based on the same schematic you posted, if you want I can share it
VH4 ch4 is insane gain. I would say you don't need the post tonestack overdrive. It all depends on your personal preference though. I want a certain amount of percussiveness in the attack even for lead tones. We'll see what ReverendBow says about the levels of gain of ch3 the way he is setting it up. CH4 is very cool. It has so much gain that it sounds synthetic. Very processed, but in a cool way. The level of gain is similar to a evh 5153. Like useful gain values are between 0.9 and 3 for either amplifier and I hate to say it, but the 5153 has a more useable rhythm tone. So, I would say skip the post tonestack clipping for both CH3 and CH4. It just so much gain. But, if you like liquid tones without a lot of attack, the post tonestack clipping might be cool. That being said, It doesn't add a whole lot. Not nearly as much of a tone change as overdriving the fx return on a two channel mesa dual rectifier.
Hey, bmxguitarsbmx. Sorry for the novice question, but here it goes, nonetheless! I like the idea of skipping the v3 altogether (who needs more tubes if you can live without 'em, right?!). So, should I just ignore anything that comes after the 680k/47k divider and go straight to my output? Or would I still need the .22uf, 100k/4.7k resistors?

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Hey Leandro,

I would recommend building it as-is up until the Tonestack, then instead of a 470k dropping resistor and a 470k master volume, do a 1M dropper and a 100k master volume. This will give you FX send level signal. Buffer this before sending it out 40 feet of cable, or directly connect this to your power amp or computer interface.

One note about the VH4. The best tones are had by running the Tonestack bass controls very low, even at zero! Then get your bass response by turning up the Deep/Resonance control. Very similar to how you would run a dual rectifier in "modern" mode. A good FX send buffer might be to use the op-amp presence resonance circuit from the Diesel VH4 pedal. You'll get killer tones!

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

The 680k/47k voltage divider gives you roughly FX send level. I prefer just a touch more level. I shoot for 700mV too 1Vpp. In my recommendation of a 1M dropper to 100k master volume, I am rolling that whole series of post tonestack attenuation into one attenuation that gives you a good FX send level. Hope that makes sense

leandrooliveira
Information

Post by leandrooliveira »

Totally does! Thanks, bmxguitarsbmx! You rock.
:worship: