Craig Anderton, Tube Sound Fuzz, in: Guitar Player Magazine, February 1977 🇺🇸

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I don't have the original article, so this is like a request. There is no information or secret schematic to be discovered -- would just be nice to have the original article. This project is not in Craig's book as far as I can tell and Guitar Player Magazine is probably still copyrighted. That does not mean we cannot sample that one article for non-commercial purposes under 'fair use'.

The realisation that Way Huge's Red Llama was simply this DIY circuit, had already seeped through on the forums before freestompboxes.org started out.

If you have the original GP article, that would be cool, I search high and low, but it doesn't seems to have been digitized yet, although some GP issues are available from various sources.
tubesnd.gif
tubesnd.gif (8.3 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
s-l1600.jpeg
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

The original Hot Tubes is also this circuit with an added tone control.

I too would like to see the original article, it was the first DIY Pedal I ever built and would like to build another.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

There's an collection on archive.org Guitar Player 1967-2014, but something is wrong. Collection have 564 items. For some reason none of them is showing up. I didn't find a way how to contact the creator of this collection - archivist @dfukumori. I guess the items were removed.

https://archive.org/details/pub_guitar-player
Attachments
gp.jpg

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

I grabbed one from eBay and will scan it in once it arrives.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

aionios wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 13:43 I grabbed one from eBay and will scan it in once it arrives.
:hug:
I was going to grab it, but didn't ship cross Atlantic, and would be a bit silly and long winding.
I thought I'd ask first...

Here's is a tip: buy this book while you can still get it. It's the one that keeps my guitar playing friends sitting on the toilet for about an hour...

The main core of the book is interviews with important guitar players from all different fields. Strangely it is available at archive.org but under very weird conditions: you can borrow it online, but cannot download it... So it seems Guitar Player is aware of archive.org and stand by their copyright. They have every right to do so. I do think in this day and age, it would be advantageous to GP to allow them in the public domain. Or better still: republish it digitally themselves. It would show the younger generation the GP is not just another guitar magazine, but is just as old as the fuzz face... People love that vintage shit, even if only as eye candy.

https://archive.org/details/guitarplaye ... 7/mode/2up
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Yes archive.org has archives of ALL the guitar magazines but none of them are available to the public. Hardly an archive if everything is horded and not shared.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

It's this guy again,
Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 13.49.40.png
There are several copies of this magazine available on Ebay, all under 25 bucks.
I am quite sure Orman's credit is wrong: the Tube Sound Fuzz is certainly in the Electronic Projects for musicians book... Not sure whether is was already in there when it was first published in 1975.

From a current Ebay auction I was able to get the table of contents of the GP magazine in question:
s-l1600-41.jpg
It's not there.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

There's one on Ebay in the USA at $6.99 BIN or offers - item number 314129336424

No idea what postage is within the USA but it's silly money to the UK.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Frank_NH
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Frank_NH »

Isn't this the article in question?
Screenshot 2022-09-28 185849.png
Screenshot 2022-09-28 185849.png (173.75 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Anyone here US based want to grab a copy? I'll refund any expenses.
aionios wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 13:43 I grabbed one from eBay and will scan it in once it arrives.
Any update?
Frank_NH wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 23:00 Isn't this the article in question?
Screenshot 2022-09-28 185849.png
That's it. I need glasses. Thanks for that :D

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Done, should be here in a week or so and I'll scan the article gratis.

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Tube Sound Fuzz.pdf
Tube Sound Fuzz article in PDF
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 408 times
Tube Sound Fuzz schematic hi-res black & white
Tube Sound Fuzz schematic hi-res black & white