PSK SMT-2 Super Metal

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

As I continue my quest of identifying cheap vintage boss clones I found this pedal.

And from what I traced it is... a boss HM-2 Heavy Metal clone. Layout is almost identical, the only difference I saw is the fact that the PSK only has one tone knob, what happens in the circuit is that the tone pot on the pedal is the HM-2's high pot and it's acting as if the low pot was maxxed out, but the cap linked to it (C35 on the HM-2 schematic) is 1µf instead of 1.5µf. A little less low then, easy mod to add it.
Apart form that, it's identical... same IC's (M5218), same Germanium diodes, etc.

Muzzatron5000
Information

Post by Muzzatron5000 »

Hi,
Thanks for posting this!!!
Picked mine it up way back in the 90s. I used to run my bass through it cause It always had some good low end. Sounded massive.
You never see them around, so must be fairly rare these days? i had always wondered what it was. Kinda a strange pedal.
That tone knob is crazy, though never liked it much TBH.
I dug it out the other day and was wondering if it was worth modding somehow? I was thinking about bypassing the tone like you can do with a Big Muff. I dunno..

aurvoy
Information

Post by aurvoy »

Hi,

I have an old smt 2 but some of the wires have come off around the pots. If there any chance you could post some pictures of the wiring for me please?

Cheers!

Alexis

Matlevo12
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Matlevo12 »

aurvoy wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 22:10 Hi,

I have an old smt 2 but some of the wires have come off around the pots. If there any chance you could post some pictures of the wiring for me please?

Cheers!

Alexis
Sorry I just saw your message. Did you sort it out already ?