Dunlop - Eric Johnson Signature Fuzz Face EJF1  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
polifemo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by polifemo »

Skreddy wrote:I use the standard 33k emitter resistor for Q1
Q2's bias is set thusly: an 820R to 9v, which is where I tap the output signal to the volume pot (and I use a .047uf cap to make a 100k pot sound the same as a .01 cap into a 500k pot) and a 1.8k resistor in series with a 10k bias pot.
Thanks.

I've been going for more of a "distortion tone" this time using 43k for Q1 (1,2v) and biasing Q2 somewhere between 5v-6v. I also ended up with BC109c's (hfe at about 500) in both positions whereas I'd normally have a BC109b in Q1.
Some additional tweaks here and there and the pedal do sound great, but your fuzz sounded much better.
Really nice tone shaping, a great focused fuzz character and very well thought out features.
Congrats to a great pedal :applause:

Now back to the EJ Fuzz! (sorry for the hijack...)

angelodp1
Information

Post by angelodp1 »

Very useful info for an EJ fuzz. Why not use the Sunface route with the trimmer up top? Any downside to puting in a 5k or 10k pot that has a place up top?

A

yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

So what is that cap across the feedback resistor for again? And why did you guys omitted it from your EJ FF schematics?

Chris Brown
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Chris Brown »

It's been a long time but I think was a HF rolloff to prevent oscillation