Belcat PHS-605 Phaser Questions

A forum devoted to mod, tips and suggestions for upgrading and rehousing your VERY CHEAP commercial stompbox to near boutique excellence.
Freakorama
Information

Post by Freakorama »

Hi folks,

I've bought a cheap Belcat PHS-605 Phaser and it arrived some days ago. The build quality and sound is okay for 34 bucks, A bit too much flux is the only thing to complain about. I really dig the sweet graphic design and clear knobs.
It didn't work at first so I opened the housing and found a trim pot. It turned out that it wasn't set by the manufacturer at all.
I setted it by ear. A little tricky, but it worked for me. I used the Rate ​​in the middle and depth all the way up setting to find the right sound. Was that ok? The trim pot only reacts in the last quarter of the range, from just very light phasing to a very deep swoosh.
Any mod recommendations are welcome.
And maybe someone can tell me what kind of clone this is ? My first thought was MXR because of the color but also maybe a Boss PH-1 ? Added some pictures for you. Thanks.

Image Image

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

And maybe someone can tell me what kind of clone this is ?
Hard to say without pics of the other side of the PCB.

Freakorama
Information

Post by Freakorama »

I'll take the PCB out tomorrow and make some pics of the Front.

Freakorama
Information

Post by Freakorama »

@Lani
Hi, I tried to get the PCB out of the enclosure, but I'm afraid I'll damage the PCB. I wonder how they even got the PCB in there :hmmm: It's so tight, I can't move it out without breaking it.

I suppose that it's a four stage phaser with an extra depth control. You can see the the
three soldering points of the fets on the right and left. Similar to a MXR phase 90.

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

Freakorama wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 22:45 :hmmm: It's so tight, I can't move it out without breaking it.
All the hardware is board mounted.

You would need to take all 5 nuts off to free the board. Both sockets, both potentiometers and the switch.

By the lack of solder on the board it looks like there's a fair amount of smd components on the other side which can make it more difficult to trace with pictures alone.

Shouldn't be hard to see the topology though if that's all you're after.
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920

Freakorama
Information

Post by Freakorama »

cspar wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 06:39
Freakorama wrote: 12 Nov 2022, 22:45 :hmmm: It's so tight, I can't move it out without breaking it.
You would need to take all 5 nuts off to free the board. Both sockets, both potentiometers and the switch.
That's what I did, I removed all 5 nuts, but the PCB is not really movable, because the sockets are plastic and to long. Can't get it out of the holes without breaking it🤷🏻.
The nuts are like screws, they go into the sockets instead of staying outside of the enclosure.

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

If you take the input and output jack nuts off too and it still won't come out then yeah, would have to unsolder the jacks in order to get it out. If you say it's fet based then take a look at this schematic here
download/file.php?id=39045
Could be similar but without the feedback control.

Freakorama
Information

Post by Freakorama »

@Lani
Yes, you are right. I can't get the PCB out without desoldering the jacks. I think this is easy, but soldering it back in place is much more difficult. So I better leave it alone.
The pedal is brand new and I won't forgive myself if I break it. That would be 40 dollars for the garbage can.

I thought I might learn a little more about the pedal, but it's not that important. Thanks for your help and the schematics. Appreciate it :) .