Dr Trebor "Pad7" ?

m_etti
Information

Post by m_etti »

Hey all,

I ordered the PCB for the Dr Trebor this afternoon. Was going over the build sheet while getting parts together and noticed this lone "pad7" (top right). I can't figure out what it's for - doesn't seem to be anything mentioned in the doc. Any ideas? I normally build on vero so this is a new experience for me. Thanks so much!

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

If it's not in the build doc, don't worry about it. Could be left over from PCB development, or a test point, or a deleted feature, or an option for a future mod.

m_etti
Information

Post by m_etti »

I'd be inclined to agree and just proceed, but I actually just heard back from them and it's a mislabelled GND pad. Posting a follow-up in case it helps anyone else with their build.

I've basically only built on veroboard - anyone know why there are so many GND pads? I'm used to just using one - do they all need to be connected somehow, or is it just for convenience?

Thanks!

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

I would guess that all GND pads are connected together on the PCB so they are there just for "convenience" like you said. Input and output jacks, plus the DC power is all you should have to hook up. In reality just hooking up the input GND to the jack and the DC power GND should be enough for it to work.
Happy Turkey Day!!!
Lani

m_etti
Information

Post by m_etti »

Thanks so much Lani - makes sense - for some reason PCB builds freak me out more than vero, but this community has been awesome as always - thanks also to Mauman for your kind assistance!

Best wishes all,
M.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

There are a few reasons that PCBs are better than Vero:
  • They tend to be neater - it's possible to line all the components up in neat rows.
  • It's quicker to construct, and you're much less likely to make mistakes.
  • It's certain that you'll get the optimum, and most compact layout - some circuits (particularly high gain ones) are susceptible to stability issues unless laid out exactly as the designer intended.
Vero wins, though in a couple of ways:
  • If you've got some Veroboard, you can quickly build prototypes to try out ideas.
  • It's usually cheaper than buying a PCB (certainly for small quantities of a project, or one-offs!)
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"