Need Help Debugging First Fuzz Face Build

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
anthrich
Information

Post by anthrich »

Im attempting my first guitar pedal build, im a novice and I was looking for help on my prototype. The circuit is more or less correct and creates the fuzz effect, but when the pedal is off there is no clean bypass. I am attempting to build it without the 9v battery. My led wont turn on, and my volume and fuzz knobs only work when the 3pdt is inactive. Any input helps, I'm sure some of you ran into this problem starting out. I will link pictures below.
IMG_5580.jpg
IMG_5580.jpg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 485 times
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg (175.4 KiB) Viewed 485 times
IMG_5582.jpg
IMG_5581.jpg
IMG_5578.jpg
IMG_5577.jpg
IMG_5576.jpg
Last edited by anthrich on 27 Nov 2022, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Hey, welcome to the forum!
anthrich wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 23:58 The effect works with no power
I'm sorry—what?!
when the pedal is off there is no clean bypass signal
Are the wires soldered to the switch? From here it looks like they're just lying over the contacts and not in the right places (as per your diagram).
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

The switch has been rotated 90 degrees so your wiring on it is wrong.

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

images.png
images.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Maybe this will help you?
Like was said before the foot switch should be oriented like the picture, with the holes facing up and down (not left to right like it looks like you have it)
And welcome to the forum!!

Bolsyo
Information

Post by Bolsyo »

I recommend never testing anything with a footswitch. It's just an unnecessary source of problems until the effect is actually being boxed. The footswitch is the last thing I wire in, and only after I know the effect works properly without it. Then it's easy troubleshooting if it doesn't work after boxing.

Imagine you get a faulty switch and spend hours trying to understand why the effect doesn't work, while in fact there was never anything wrong with the effect at all.