Caline CP-47 Pressure Tank (gutshots)

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
stolen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by stolen »

Hi, got a pressure tank, took it apart and got some pics :3. It's actually very close to the diamond comp minus the tone bypass, even down to the double coupling caps which is kinda pointless in this mlcc version but still cute. Our unit's frequency response is not very flat, especially at higher "comp" settings, which is no surprise with the LM358 (0.6uV/s slew) that works as the makeup gain amplifier (U1) in this unit. We swapped it for a TL072, and while the bandwidth still feels limited at least the dullness at high compression is gone. The phase inverter is a TL062 btw, nothing wrong with that as far as we can tell.
R26 sets the max LED current and thereby ratio, you can add parallel resistors to make it more squishy, but you might wanna increase the envelope cap C20 proportionally-ish to avoid low frequency ripple.
comp3.jpeg
comp2.jpeg
comp1.jpeg

dmc777
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dmc777 »

Thanks for the analysis. I honestly thought there’d be more interest in this considering the diamond comps reputation. I have one of these and it’s great for the price.

dmc777
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by dmc777 »

stolen wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 19:51 Hi, got a pressure tank, took it apart and got some pics :3. It's actually very close to the diamond comp minus the tone bypass, even down to the double coupling caps which is kinda pointless in this mlcc version but still cute. Our unit's frequency response is not very flat, especially at higher "comp" settings, which is no surprise with the LM358 (0.6uV/s slew) that works as the makeup gain amplifier (U1) in this unit. We swapped it for a TL072, and while the bandwidth still feels limited at least the dullness at high compression is gone. The phase inverter is a TL062 btw, nothing wrong with that as far as we can tell.
R26 sets the max LED current and thereby ratio, you can add parallel resistors to make it more squishy, but you might wanna increase the envelope cap C20 proportionally-ish to avoid low frequency ripple.
comp3.jpeg
comp2.jpeg
comp1.jpeg
@stolen I assume u1 is an smd or small chip as well? I don’t see the little bastard on there anywhere. I’d like to make mine a little more transparent as well. It sounds great but could sound better.

stolen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by stolen »

yeah, it is. it's under the "comp" pot, left/bottom-ish. after having worked on caline boards a bit more we advise to be careful when unsoldering, it's quite possible to rip off pads, if we were to do it again we'd probably use desoldering alloy to be on safe side.