Phase 90 Script and Vibe Mod Troubleshooting

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
dappsmc303
Information

Post by dappsmc303 »

Hello all, I just tried my first pedal mod so some issues were to be expected. I did the R28 Script Mod and Univibe mod using Stinkfoot's guide (https://stinkfoot.se/archives/975). The ony thing I did differently from the stinkfoot script mod was adding an SPDT switch for the R28 mod instead of just clipping the resistor. The Vibe mod seems to work as I did the R28 first and that's when I noticed the issues. Even disconnecting the switch and putting the R28 resistor back to how it came stock didn't fix it. With the switch back on, it isn't phasing. I could hear the volume boost and a tonal change but the phaser isn't phasing. With the Vibe mod I can hear the Vibe effect very slightly but still hardly at all and also there was a massive tonal change after adding it, a huge boost in the low end and low mids. I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot as this is my first mod and have had no luck troubleshooting on my own. I'll attach some photos (Only the ones I can get to be small enough files) of the PCB and link an audio example as well on youtube. The audio is my strat going into an AC30 recorded with my shotugn mic into logic pro so it is clear as I can get it, and is the reason why the audio and video aren't perfectly synced. My pedal is on my board, but I got the same results testing it by itself. If anyone has the time to take the time to help me out it'd mean a lot and will take any advice that'd be helpful going forward modding pedals!

Here is the youtube link:

(Also I'm getting ahead of myself but if I didn't damage the PCB or ruin my pedal, am looking for any sources with more elementary guidance to do Phase 90 mods for newbies like me. I'm looking to add a switch to turn the vibe on and off as well as a mix/blend knob.)
Attachments
Switch Photo 2.jpeg
Switch Photo 1.jpeg
R28 Photo 3.jpeg
R28 Photo 2.jpeg
R28 Photo 1.jpeg
IMG_9074.jpeg
IMG_9072.jpeg
C1 and C3 Top Photo 1.jpeg

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Welcome to the forum!

Could we see the other side of your PCB (the solder side)?

Did the trim pot get adjusted during your procedure? Even a small change can stop the phasing.

There is a section of stinkfoot's mod procedure page that provides a caution, could this be the issue?
"...Then locate R28 (right above the output jack) and clip one end off. You can clip the resistor out at both ends if you like, or just cut one end and raise it enough to break the connection. Do not desolder the resistor! I can’t stress this enough – one of the through-plated holes also serve as a pathway between the two sides of the circuit board, and it is very easy to damage it (leaving you with a dead pedal). ..."

Regarding other mods, once you get it working again, you can search this forum for "phase 90 mod" to get some other ideas.