Inverting Op Amp Low Output (What am I missing?)

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Eet3m
Information

Post by Eet3m »

Hi,
I'm trying to make an inverting op amp buffer as I want to flip the phase and buffer the signal. I've attached a photo of my breadboard and the circuit I'm trying to follow.
When I connect it all up, the output is super low, -30dB or so from where I started, and it looks like my signal is being low passed. I've tried a few different resistor values from 1M to 10k for both resistors with more or less the same result. Also tried a TL072 op amp, also no luck.
I assume I'm missing something pretty obvious here since the circuit is pretty much as simple as it gets.
Should I be using a different op amp, different resistor values? Have I wired it backwards or am I missing some other key component altogether?

Thanks in advance!
Dan
IMG_0912.jpg
Op amp.png

blackboarcult
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: one that works.

Post by blackboarcult »

I think you should have the noninverting input connected to Vbias and not ground, since you are not powering the opamp with a bipolar voltage source.
Also, I'd put a coupling cap (100n to 10u depending on what resistor values you have or what comes before) between input and Rin.

Eet3m
Information

Post by Eet3m »

Great thanks for that, I’ll give it a try this afternoon.