Cili War Big Muff clone - pedal dies and produces weird static noises

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
justaguy
Information

Post by justaguy »

Hello everybody, so, recently i built Civil War Big Muff clone with schematics from tagboardeffects. All the components that I used have the same values like the ones in the schematics. For transistors i used kt3102em and for diodes kd521a.

First build was not working from start, i was not getting any fuzz, just a slight distortion. I noticed that when i rolled off the sustain (distortion) potentiometer that I would get constant, high pitched buzz (sounding kike synth), after a minutes of playing i noticed that static noise and grounding problems started to appear. And from that point on, it was getting louder and louder to the point where pedal stopped working and everything i was getting was loud static noise.

So, I decided to build a new board because I have some components laying around, this time I got the best sounding fuzz i ever heard. All the potentiometers were doing their jobs, there was no noise at all, no hum, no grounding problems. I thanked god 20 million times and prayed a little bit before i decided to put it in enclosure. Only thing that i did was shortening some wires so that it fits snugly. And thats when god decided to take it all away from me. As soon as it was in the enclosure, the same problem started to apper, just like in first one. Grounding issues, static noise, sustain pot was again acting like a synth when rolled off and after a few minutes the noise got so loud and there was no guitar signal coming out.

I tried replacing transistors and diodes bunch of times and it did not help.

I never encountered this problem and I cant sleep at night thinking that i had it working properly and there is one little thing keeping me away from it. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a video that shows the noise i am getting:

and pictures of build:
https://ibb.co/hDyTTMJ
https://ibb.co/8g7nY4t
https://ibb.co/n6W60pt

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Does it get better or worse if you wiggle the transistors in their sockets?
The synth noise when you roll down the drive is going to be some kind of oscillation. Oscillations in high gain pedals are nearly always caused by layout issues. You said it wasn't making that sound when it was outside the box? Maybe something about the position of wiring after its inside the box coulc be causing the trouble.
I think it would be better to have the transistors soldered directly to the board in any case. There's no reason to use sockets with these kind of BJT transistors, unless you were planning to reuse them in another project later.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran