Custom braided cables

Posts on strange stompboxes on ebay, old amps from a garage sale, new boutique businesses, great deals, all these topics go in here.
skysurfer
Information

Post by skysurfer »

Hello all,
Been a member for a long time just low on the activity level. At best I'm a mediocre musician but have always enjoy playing with the equipment. Something that has gained a bit of traction lately with some encouragement from an old friend is making custom and cool braided cables. I bought the machinery awhile back mostly as a curiosity and just neat thing to have and this is the direction is seems to want to go.
A couple of examples, one jokingly dubbed McPlaid and the other I've taken to calling Voxblood.
Any feedback, suggestions, good idea/bad idea.

Thanks,
Austin
Attachments
mcplaid.jpg
voxblood.jpg

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

I think that's really cool. A video of it weaving would be nice to see. Are you also taking any orders?

skysurfer
Information

Post by skysurfer »

Here is a couple of videos, with fiber cores something less expensive than cable while I was working out the process. I have lots of shoelaces now.
The stars and stripes is a 1x1 pattern, not quite ready for production yet. Waiting on a gear to increase the fill without getting too bulky.
I am working on getting a site set up, in the meantime I have some listed on ebay or send a PM and take it from there. Have some angles I'm working on 12 foot instead of 10 on a "standard" guitar cable. I'm weaving onto the cable, much of what I've seen of similar cables are sleeves with the cable inserted into it. Also in the works are shorter and 3.5mm connectors for synth patch cables, I'm old and need 5U with 1/4 connectors myself but Euro is still all the rage.

skysurfer
Information

Post by skysurfer »

A couple more patterns I've worked out. Rasta and a purple synthwave fade.
Attachments
Rastastripe.jpg
synthpurple.jpg

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

Pretty cool! A fan of braided cables myself (had Spectraflex cables when they first came out, used them for a long time)
This made me laugh: :)
skysurfer wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 09:38 I have lots of shoelaces now.
Pretty cool machine, deceptively simple actually, so the pattern is determined by the position and repeating a certain colour? How are you incorporating a coax cable, can you just run it through the center when braiding?
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

skysurfer
Information

Post by skysurfer »

Jarno wrote: 10 May 2023, 12:46

Pretty cool machine, deceptively simple actually, so the pattern is determined by the position and repeating a certain colour? How are you incorporating a coax cable, can you just run it through the center when braiding?
Altering the positions changes the pattern. This is the same 12 spools of Terra Cotta and 12 spools of Old Gold just with their positions changed.
Yep the core wire is just fed through the center.
Attachments
20230515_160033rs.jpg

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Opamp and FET buffers
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses

Post by Jarno »

Very cool!

I suppose termination of the cable (putting on connectors) will need some care to prevent fraying, might be best to use the adhesive lined heat shrink tubing, to keep everything in place?

By the way, I said deceptively simple earlier, but those bobbins are moving around?!? Wildly complex is a more appropriate description then, can't quite fit my mechanical brain around that :shock:

This helps:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4038540

skysurfer
Information

Post by skysurfer »

Jarno wrote: 16 May 2023, 07:21 Very cool!

I suppose termination of the cable (putting on connectors) will need some care to prevent fraying, might be best to use the adhesive lined heat shrink tubing, to keep everything in place?

By the way, I said deceptively simple earlier, but those bobbins are moving around?!? Wildly complex is a more appropriate description then, can't quite fit my mechanical brain around that :shock:

This helps:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4038540
The cables are braided at length with a wrap of double stick tape like 300LSE about an inch from the ends, add a drop or 2 of CA right at the join before stripping secures the ends nicely. So each run is a finite number of cables/lengths. Repairs, I've worked out a procedure and has to be followed to the letter and not in a rush or you'll end up with 700+ feet of the worst tangle you've ever seen. A 10 foot cable has a bit over 720 feet of thread wrapped around it.

The bobbins are moving around and with a stop motion ratchet that is released by tension. As it runs around the tension is constantly on and off the slack being taken up with springs and slides, when the tension gets to a certain point it releases a ratchet pawl letting the bobbin rotate feeding more thread.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Opamp and FET buffers
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses

Post by Jarno »

Thanks for the explanation!

Wrt. Modular synth, I think euro is mainstream, and 4u is the hip standard these days, so maybe also look into banana cables, easier to terminate :D