Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Haunt Fuzz

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
G.Bisson
Information

Post by G.Bisson »

Old Blood Noise Endeavors - Haunt Fuzz v1 tracing. This came from an early pedal with low double-digit serial number in a light blue enclosure.

Notes:
1) Enclosure labels for 'Low' and 'Mode' appear to be reversed. Documentation states that 'mode' switches between two different silicon transistors. I found these transistors are actually connected to the toggle switch labeled 'low'. There is a difference in breakup and gating at each transistor setting. The 'mode' toggle switches between two different capacitors connected to ground in the tone circuit.

2) Q7 is a 2N5485 JFET. Markings on the pcb say 2N5457.

3) Markings for C6 & C7 electrolytic capacitors were not visible. These were determined by process of elimination. There's a 50-50 chance their actual pcb markings are reversed from what I've shown in the schematic.

4) There's a 100K resistor soldered directly under Gate pot leads 1 & 3. I've labeled this as R24 on my schematic.

5) D2 anode is soldered directly to the chassis of the Fuzz pot.
GBisson_HauntFuzz_PCB_01_Top.png
GBisson_HauntFuzz_PCB_02_Bot.png
Green dots are terminations to ground plane.
Blue lines are traces on the top component side of board.
Magenta lines are traces on the bottom solder side of board.
GBisson_HauntFuzz_Trace_02.png
GBisson_HauntFuzz_BOM.png
GBisson_HauntFuzz_schematic.png
Last edited by G.Bisson on 21 Apr 2023, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Here's another gutshot V.2
https://effector-hakase.com/fuzz/1562/
Attachments
71DMA2ene0L._AA900_.jpg

G.Bisson
Information

Post by G.Bisson »

karul wrote: 20 Apr 2023, 16:09 Here's another gutshot V.2
https://effector-hakase.com/fuzz/1562/
I see the trace between R1 and the left toggle center-lug was removed. This toggle is called 'low' on v1 and 'range' on v2 versions. I also see a trace added around R1 and R3. These traces may still connect to the same components and may have just been moved to other sides of the pcb.
The trace between Tone-3 and and the right toggle center-lug was revised, but appears to still connect the same. This toggle is called 'mode' on v1 and correctly named 'low' on v2 versions.
Q7 is accurately labeled 2N5485.
I can't see any differences between v1 and v2 versions except for fixing the enclosure labels for the toggle switches.

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

https://thejhsshow.com/articles/everyth ... ise-pedals
Alpha Haunt Fuzz

The Alpha Haunt has a super cool story to it– though, sadly, not a ghost story –and I’d be remiss if I didn’t tell it properly. Basically, the Alpha Haunt was based on a pre-OBNE pedal called the Gatekeeper. Brady made the Gatekeeper in the late 2000s while he was still working at Keeley Electronics by taking an interesting but unsophisticated circuit that was fairly close to ZVEX Woolly Mammoth fuzz and began manufacturing it himself. He and Seth transitioned that circuit into the Haunt when OBNE launched in 2014, and sold off all the remaining Gatekeepers to fund their new business.

In 2018, they upgraded the Haunt circuit with a three-band slider EQ and a preamp section, and re-released it as the Alpha Haunt. Simply put, the Alpha Haunt is mad versatile. This may be the last fuzz you ever buy. It was so successful that they released a compact version of the same circuit at the end of 2020.

I also want to take a minute to brag on this enclosure design, which was crafted by my good friend Daniel Danger. Basically, Brady saw one of Daniel's paintings in a gallery and asked, “Could we use it for a guitar pedal?” Daniel scanned the painting, cut out a bunch of wolves out of it, pasted them on the pedal enclosure and the rest is history.

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

no dc path to the collector of q4?

G.Bisson
Information

Post by G.Bisson »

guiddruid wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 08:01 no dc path to the collector of q4?
In the v2 photo I can barely see a trace between Q4 collector and C7. I'll probe the circuit to confirm and follow up later. This would join R4, C5 and Q2 collector to match typical layout of a Woolly Mammoth.
Also spotted a typo on the schematic at C5. C5 is 10nF, this was shown correctly on the BOM.

G.Bisson
Information

Post by G.Bisson »

Schematic and tracing have been updated. I confirmed the trace between Q4 and C7. Also moved R1 in series with GATE. Fixed C5 and Q7 labels.

krystal
Information

Post by krystal »

That "mix" configuration is new to me. Interesting that the wiper is going to power rather than ground too.

ieldredge
Information

Post by ieldredge »

is it just me or is this circuit absolutely wild, looks traditional at first glance but many odd choices made

Tink
Information

Post by Tink »

If anyone is interested dirtboxlayouts did a strip board version of this circuit. Do you have voltages for this circuit recorded? Thank you for the trace. I've been curious about this fuzz for some time.