J. Rockett Tim Pierce signature OD (traced)

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi Mauman I’ll made new (another time) do you have the Pcb scheme like this post I think is more bigger than published in the effectslyouts and I think this will more easy for me I’m not electronic and I not have experience with solder.
Many thanks and kind regards

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking me. If you used the PCB layout at https://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/202 ... drive.html , that seems to have been based on the schematic I traced above, with some changes. One of the comments there says it's verified as working. I haven't laid out a PCB.

If you can post some photos of your completed build with pots and wiring, we might be able to help.

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi Mauman, thank you very much for your help. What I wanted to tell you is that the Effectslayuot scheme is very small and I don't have much experience welding and looking at this post, the photos of the original have a different layout of the components and it seems that they are more separated and serious. Easier to solder for me and my question was if you had that pcb schematic otherwise I'll try again with the Effectslayout schematic to see if this time I have better luck again thank you very much for the help greetings from Barcelona

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi friends, I made another time this pedal, when I push for overdrive works perfectly but when I push boost not works make silence the pedal I change potenciomether of boost, the 3pdt works fine have some idea what happen? Many thanks for your help

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

hi friends it's possible that BS170 mossfet the order of pins it's wrong? in the schematics put D / S / G and seeing the schematic i thing the order is D/G/S what do you thing?
kind regards from Barcelona

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

sbdtoni wrote: 16 May 2023, 19:32 Hi friends, I made another time this pedal, when I push for overdrive works perfectly but when I push boost not works make silence the pedal I change potenciomether of boost, the 3pdt works fine have some idea what happen? Many thanks for your help
I think an audio probe would be the way to trace this problem, we need more information to help you.
sbdtoni wrote: 17 May 2023, 11:10 hi friends it's possible that BS170 mossfet the order of pins it's wrong? in the schematics put D / S / G and seeing the schematic i thing the order is D/G/S what do you thing?
kind regards from Barcelona
You can look at the data sheet for the brand of BS170 you are using. The ON Semi version is D-G-S for pins 1-2-3, and that matches the effectslayout PCB design you used. Other manufacturers may make theirs differently.
BS170.JPG

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

dear Mauman, many thanks for your help this afternoon i'll test changing the pins of BS170 and i'll inform is this the problem.
kind regards from barcelona.

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Dear Mauman finally pedal works perfectly was the order of the pins of BS170 yesterday I changed and works fine the sound it’s incredible many thanks for your help.
Kind regards from Barcelona

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Congratulations!

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

[media]
Vídeo (1).mov
video of the problem
(3.42 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
[/media]hello friends, well, not everything is fine when I move the tone potentiometer when it reaches above 8 the volume increases but when I turn it to 10 it becomes a noise and the volume goes down, I have changed the tone and volume potentiometers I have changed the capacitors and resistors and it continues to do this phenomenon attached video of the problem thanks for the help, the rest works perfectly and if I leave the tone above 8 the perfect OD sounds but I can't regulate the tone
all the best

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi friends
Any suggestion? I will be crazy 😜

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

How high is the gain set in your video? Does this noise occur only at higher gain or at all settings? One issue could be the lack of limiting resistor before the tone cap: You'll see the Timmy has a 1k5 (?) resistor between the tone pot and the tone cap-to-ground. This prevents the first opamp having to drive a cap to ground directly at maximum tone setting (which I've heard can cause oscillation).. Since the original pedal doesn't have this resistor and (I guess) does not suffer the same problem, this is maybe not the source of the problem but you could try to put a small resistor in this position and see what happens at maximum tone setting
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi Nocentelli
Many thanks for your help problem is with all gain position this resistor of 1,5k the position is put in the 2 pin of the potientomether of Tone right? Many thanks.
Kind regards

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

sbdtoni wrote: 27 May 2023, 11:04 1,5k the position is put in the 2 pin of the potientomether of Tone right?
It's not quite the same because the Timmy is DC coupled between two opamp stages, but you'd put the 1k5 between the output cap C11 and pin 3 of the tone pot
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

sbdtoni
Information

Post by sbdtoni »

Hi Nocentelli, thanks for your help i put a resistor of 1k in the pin 2 and works perfectly in pin3 not works the new many thanks for your help