Snarling Dogs Whine-O Wah  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
prehistoric
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by prehistoric »

my original theory. the 33k parallel the 470k AND the missing 33k that coincindentally has one node common to the aforementioned?

i believe it was a quickie music store crybaby mod ( lift one resistor leg and tack it onto another, 20 seconds?) that someone copied without knowing what or why, then gave the chinese the schematic and said, do it exactly like this. presto.

i asked kenny about it, he did not recall the thing i was talking about.

he also told me he chose linear pots and designed the wide throw to use linear for ease of getting wide selection of pots.

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: my own, a redesigned princeton
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!
there's videos that totally suck of about 90 of 'em here:
http://youtube.com/666pinkster
gimme a like: http://facebook.com/pinkjimiphotonrocks

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

RG Keen has some projects where you can use multiple resistors in parallel as well.
the point is, yes, it's cheap crap (which sounds pretty good considering) but playing devil's advocate for a minute, 30k isn't a "standard" value.... or rather wasn't necessarily all that many years ago. you'd see shit like 10k,47k, 100k etc at your local rat shack... depends on what/ you buy, what ya have on hand.and that seemed to be a fairly low-budget operation. the only reason i could see for "charlie" doing that would be cuz that's what he had on hand, and that's it. beats me. i see tons of weird and stupid shit every day.

or, "i believe it was a quickie music store crybaby mod ( lift one resistor leg and tack it onto another, 20 seconds?) that someone copied without knowing what or why, then gave the chinese the schematic and said, do it exactly like this. presto."

that makes as much or more sense than anything else ;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

scoogr
Information

Post by scoogr »

I have a similar wah, the Whine-O without the added features. There's a lot that I like about it and a couple things that bug me.
One of my complaints is the all the time boost... I could use unity sometimes.
Moustache00, did you get around to swapping R13 (12k) for a lower value? I'd like to get just below unity so the volume knob could used...

Just in case another schematic would be of use here, I tried out DIYLC and dished one up. I can't get it to upload though. Not sure what to try...

ciao -Scott

scoogr
Information

Post by scoogr »

Msuydam
Information

Post by Msuydam »

This is my favorite wah, but the stomp switch has just failed and though I thought I'd documented it right, I'm still missing a connection. Can somebody post a diagram of their stomp switch for the 3PDT version? I see the photos at the start have a DPDT switch, which might work for me as well, unfortunately I'm still new to wiring things up. I've printed the image on the previous post and it looks like it may diagram everything, but will need to study it a little before I know what's there.

scoogr
Information

Post by scoogr »

The link to the schematic went bad + I figured out how to attach it here.
Msuydam, the switch is wired Brown-Red-Orange across the top, empty-black-yellow across the bottom. Maybe your wah has the same coloring scheme? HTH
Attachments
SD WOW schem scooco 2.png

peaceland
Information

Post by peaceland »

Did you ever solve the noise issue? I just got one of these bad boys and it is awsum, however, just like you... geez... I need a modification or add a noise gate circuit or something. It's pretty bad. Here's hoping you figured it out and I can send it to you for "repair"... HELP(#$%@#$%#-Noise)!!! Thank you!

HunkFunkPedals
Information

Post by HunkFunkPedals »

scoogr wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 21:29 The link to the schematic went bad + I figured out how to attach it here.
Msuydam, the switch is wired Brown-Red-Orange across the top, empty-black-yellow across the bottom. Maybe your wah has the same coloring scheme? HTH
Which version of the whine-o is this?

I'm looking for more information on the older, less feature rich version.

Do you have pics of an unmodified pcb? It's nearly impossible to find any. I'm working on one right now and it has signs of modification.

scoogr
Information

Post by scoogr »

It's the older, simpler one.
Let me know if the photos do it for you, or if you need something else.
Attachments
IMG_8439.jpeg
IMG_8438.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0209.jpeg

HunkFunkPedals
Information

Post by HunkFunkPedals »

Thank you so much, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread and I really appreciate the response.

The pcb I have (I'm replacing the 9v and i/O) seems to have more going on. I'm wondering if that's a new inductor?
Attachments
Snarling dogs
Snarling dogs

scoogr
Information

Post by scoogr »

Yeah, that's a different inductor. Mine only has one inductor and it's attached via the 2 very thin red wires you see in my photos 3 & 4, taking off from the bottom of the pbc.)
Does your pedal kick in with a lot of boost?

HunkFunkPedals
Information

Post by HunkFunkPedals »

I'm gonna get it back together and let you know for sure.

My initial tests where insanely noisy.

But there are a bunch of lifted traces, so I got to get it 100%.

HunkFunkPedals
Information

Post by HunkFunkPedals »

There is a Ton of boost. Not my favorite style of wah but an interesting pedal.