First Time Member...Help with wiring up a Newmarket Transistor amplifier circuit

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
9 Volt Licker
Information

Post by 9 Volt Licker »

Hello future home to my serious nerdy mind :)

I'm pretty new to circuitry. I have built some kits and recently re-housed and modified a JHF1 Dunlop Fuzz Face. Works awesome. I'm a germanium transistor collector and have learned a bunch over the past year. I just bought a Newmarket Transistor amplifier circuit (pre-made) from the 60's. The Reverb ad said something about being a Deacy amp. It has a basic schematic diagram for the wiring but I've tried a bunch of different things an I can't get the thing to work. I figured I would ask if someone can help me understand what wires go where and where to solder them on the jacks and the only pot. I figure I'll mod it later but I just want to make sure it works first.

Pics are attached.
Q's
1 - Where does the input jack signal go to? The pot? Which lug? Which is in and which is out? Do I need to ground the pot? Do I need to ground the input jack?
2. Where does the pot wire/signal go in the circuit? Hole C?
3. Which hole is ground? Where should I solder the circuit ground wire? A jack?
4. Where do I solder the 9 volt red positive and black negative? Do I need to have an on/off switch?
5. I'm not attaching wires to a speaker like the outline shows. Where do those two wires go? The output jack? Do I need both wires?
6. Two holes look like they indicate 'lamp'. Does that mean I can add an LED through one of these holes?

I really appreciate any help anyone can give. I'm about to smack my head off a wall as I don't know what my neck steps should be after doing an ineffective troubleshooting.

Cheers
Attachments
urpsmfsjpjm4gyy61zeq.webp
sr5agpgsjytupmozpdth.jpg
sr5agpgsjytupmozpdth.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 535 times
nbugg4dfaouuyqkc2den.jpg

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Welcome to the forum!
9 Volt Licker wrote: 30 May 2023, 05:52 Q's
1 - Where does the input jack signal go to?
Signal to lug C, ground to lug A.
The pot? Which lug?
If you want a volume control, wire it in before the signal hits the PCB. That's the "VOLUME CONTROL" schematic. 5k pot, C (reverse audio) taper, wire the incoming signal to pot lug 3, then volume pot lug 2 to PCB C, volume pot lug 1 to PCB A (which is also power ground.)

Which is in and which is out?
C & A are in, D & E are out.
Do I need to ground the pot?
Yes, lug 1 to ground.
Do I need to ground the input jack?
Yes, shield to pot lug 1 and PCB lug A.
2. Where does the pot wire/signal go in the circuit? Hole C?
Yes
3. Which hole is ground?
Lug A
Where should I solder the circuit ground wire? A jack?
Make the ground common to PCB lug A, volume pot lug 1, and the 9V negative terminal.
4. Where do I solder the 9 volt red positive and black negative?
9V negative to ground as above. 9V positive to PCB lug D.
Do I need to have an on/off switch?
Optional, if you do, wire it as shown between battery + and PCB lug D.
5. I'm not attaching wires to a speaker like the outline shows. Where do those two wires go? The output jack? Do I need both wires?
This is an amp, not a pedal, so PCB lugs D and E go to the terminals of a speaker. The schematic calls for 15 ohms, but 16 ohms would be fine. PCB lug D is also connected to +9V, but lug E is NOT connected to anything except the speaker (no ground.)
6. Two holes look like they indicate 'lamp'. Does that mean I can add an LED through one of these holes?
"Lamp" almost certainly meant "incandescent" at that time, so I'd start with a 9V or 12V incandescent bulb, once you get the rest of the circuit working. You can also use a meter to determine what's sitting on those two lugs (PCB B & F?). Probably voltage on one and ground on the other, but maybe not.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I'd like to add that it's wasn't accurate for them to call it a "Deacy" amp. The Deacy amp circuit uses two small transformers: one to drive the push-pull output transistors, and the other is the output transformer. You see this alot in old transistor radios.

If I had this, first thing I'd do is pull the heatsink off the two output transistors and see if they're NKT275s. If they are, you probably got some $$$. :lol:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran