Q.A. Rice, Guitar Note Expander, Electronics Today International, April 1981 🇦🇺

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

PDF:
1979-4 Guitar Expander - Electronics Today International 1.jpg
1979-4 Guitar Expander - Electronics Today International 2.jpg
1979-4 Guitar Expander - Electronics Today International 3.jpg
1979-4 Guitar Expander - Electronics Today International 4.jpg
1979-4 Guitar Expander - Electronics Today International 4.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Why post these cheapo circuits from ETI, which at best were crap at the time???

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

So everybody can see they are crap with their own eyes and need not obsess about it?
But you probably have a point.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

There are sometimes interesting ideas that may not be executed well, that can be expanded on. Other times they are just bad and fun novelties. You can bet some booteeker is building them and selling them as the next magik boolet though.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

This post reminds me that I have this pedal slumbering in the depths of my collection, a reason to wake it up and get it running.
I am putting it in the queue for refurbishment.

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

I'm grateful that you post old magazine articles Modman. Thank you.
:worship:
CheapPedalCollector wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 21:34 There are sometimes interesting ideas that may not be executed well, that can be expanded on.
I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot while breadboarding old diy circuits regardless of if I ended up building them or not.

This one is pretty interesting. I don't remember ever seeing a compressor or an expander with a similar cmos topology.
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920

Lani
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Bassman 5f6a
Completed builds: .....ummmm yeah. Too many to list.....

Post by Lani »

cspar wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 05:52 I'm grateful that you post old magazine articles Modman. Thank you.
:worship:
I agree, keep em coming. Thanks Modman!!

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

uncleboko wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 16:08 Why post these cheapo circuits from ETI, which at best were crap at the time???
Yes they were crap at the time and they haven't improved with age but it is nice to see them again.

At that time I was in a job where half the time we were insanely busy, the rest we sitting around with virtually nothing to do. Our boss said that in case anyone important walked into the lab we should be always be looking busy and would fund small projects out of the department budget.

Most of the pedals that I built out of the Elektor, ETI, Practical Electronics, and Practical Wireless were so underwhelming that they never got boxed up and were immediately stripped for parts.

I did use a digital echo for quite some time that sounded like a ring modulator above the 12th fret because the sample frequency was not fast enough. Our rhythm guitarist used a treble booster for a while (I couldn't tell if it was on or bypassed but he seemed to like it so who was I to argue).
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I bought the used pedal in March 2018 and started to make the PCB clone for it, still missing the component values I will put in.
I forgot about it, first now through this topic I remembered.
Guitar Note Expander PCB Shot.jpg
ETI Guitar Note Expander Layout.JPG

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Here the finished PCB clone.
Next I will reassemble the pedal and make some measurements.
ETI Guitar Note Expander Layout.JPG
Ready-to-Print PDF-files:
ETI Guitar Note Expander Components Side.pdf
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
ETI Guitar Note Expander Solder Side.pdf
(5.29 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
SprintLayout6.0 file:
ETI Guitar Note Expander Layout.zip
(26.01 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

deltafred wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 16:48
uncleboko wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 16:08 Why post these cheapo circuits from ETI, which at best were crap at the time???
Yes they were crap at the time and they haven't improved with age but it is nice to see them again.
There are several errors in the published circuit. My take on this circuit did away with the rotary switch, and had two options - compression or smoothly distorted compression (with remarkably little intermodulation distortion). The levels of the two modes were quite wildly different, so I had a switched compensation circuit, using a preset to equalise the levels. The CMOS IC used is somewhat vulnerable to static, so I built a buffering input interface....

When I built it, I expected it to be the usual let-down - a slightly unusual circuit, but nothing special....

It actually sounds great! What a surprise!

I'll see if I can find my modified version of this circuit, and I'll post it here.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Just stumbled across this thread. I remember the author of the article above - Quentin Rice worked in the same place as me at the time! My take on the circuit (which really wasn't all Quentin's work) was a simplified version without the rotary switch, but with two DPDT footswitches: Effect / Bypass and Compression / Overdrive. My prototype (which is around here somewhere) was built into a small diecast box, and had an internal jumper for single coil / humbucker. It sounded really good, and was recorded many times. I've built a few dozen of them over the years:
Overdriving_Compressor_Sch.png
Overdriving_Compressor_Sch.png (7.81 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
The only further modification I'd do these days is to use a relay or even a 3-pole double throw footswitch for mode change to allow two "effect" controls to be selected too, allowing a better range of control in the two modes, and add a proper buffer stage to both the input and the output to isolate the CMOS from the outside world.

It's cheap enough to build, and it sounds pretty good.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Interesting story!
Is the second MOS fet also a BS170?

cspar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cspar »

Manfred wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:33 Is the second MOS fet also a BS170?
Looks to be the Q1 portion of the 4007ube. Mictester would know for sure though.
"Just because the forgoing circuits have produced results there is no reason experimenting won't lead to added results." L. E. Darling, in his article containing the earliest published vacuum tube synthesizer circuit, Popular Science Jan 1920

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

cspar wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:59
Manfred wrote: 30 May 2023, 10:33 Is the second MOS fet also a BS170?
Looks to be the Q1 portion of the 4007ube. Mictester would know for sure though.
You're right, if I had looked closely I could have seen that from the pin labels. :slap:

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

The finished versions of this circuit I've built lately have had additional transistor buffers on the way in and the way out. The 4007 is quite a sensitive beast, and easily killed by large voltage spikes. The transistor buffers ("emitter followers") completely eliminate the problems at very little cost. The buffers do not change the "sound" of the circuit at all. I'll sketch the additional bits later today and post them here.