EHX - Hot Tubes (original version)

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
User avatar
astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 548
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 01:30
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Post by astrobass »

I think I misread the circuit earlier and the second op amp provides somewhat more gain than I'd thought but this doesn't change my advice.

User avatar
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 2918
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 20:29
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.
Location: Somewhat closer to Amsterdam than before!
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 833 times
Contact:

Post by mictester »

Nocentelli wrote:
mictester wrote:The vast majority of visitors to a site like this have nothing to offer - they just take.
Wow. I didn't think you came to this website because of what you thought other people had to offer - I thought you came here to dispense wisdom on circuits you were familiar with from decades of experience, shared circuits you (claimed to have) invented, and consistently insist that all new parts sounded better than old ones, all capacitors of the same value sound the same, and slam those booteek boobs. Next you'll be telling us that germanium transistors really so sound better than silicon.
Having designed, indeed originated, a number of guitar effects, and having designed for many of the "big names" over the years actually gives me licence to rip into the Boutique Boobs and to "dispense wisdom" to anyone bright enough to understand. However, I'd always hoped this would be a two-way transaction, with others providing the benefit of their experience and experimentation.

The issue I have these days is that some deeply insecure "designers" have decided that my experience is to be derided, that anything I have to offer is wrong, and that I'm arrogant (the last bit's true, but I can afford to be).

So, in closing, all capacitors of the same value sound the same as long as they're used within their voltage specification, germanium transistors are a waste of time and money, and in both live and recording situations, professional players can't tell the difference, and modern components are infinitely more reliable (and cheaper) than their ancient predecessors, and sound no different!

Oh, and "mojo components, "tropical fish" capacitors, "mustard" caps, carbon resistors and all the rest were only used because they were the cheapest parts available at the time, not for any sonic properties. If you can hear a difference between components it's either because their values differ or you're deluding yourself!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

User avatar
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4182
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 08:44
Location: Old Amsterdam
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 882 times
Contact:

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

.... :roll:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

User avatar
uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 508
Joined: 25 Mar 2008, 20:19
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Post by uncleboko »

mictester wrote:
Nocentelli wrote:
mictester wrote:The vast majority of visitors to a site like this have nothing to offer - they just take.
Wow. I didn't think you came to this website because of what you thought other people had to offer - I thought you came here to dispense wisdom on circuits you were familiar with from decades of experience, shared circuits you (claimed to have) invented, and consistently insist that all new parts sounded better than old ones, all capacitors of the same value sound the same, and slam those booteek boobs. Next you'll be telling us that germanium transistors really so sound better than silicon.
Having designed, indeed originated, a number of guitar effects, and having designed for many of the "big names" over the years actually gives me licence to rip into the Boutique Boobs and to "dispense wisdom" to anyone bright enough to understand. However, I'd always hoped this would be a two-way transaction, with others providing the benefit of their experience and experimentation.

The issue I have these days is that some deeply insecure "designers" have decided that my experience is to be derided, that anything I have to offer is wrong, and that I'm arrogant (the last bit's true, but I can afford to be).

So, in closing, all capacitors of the same value sound the same as long as they're used within their voltage specification, germanium transistors are a waste of time and money, and in both live and recording situations, professional players can't tell the difference, and modern components are infinitely more reliable (and cheaper) than their ancient predecessors, and sound no different!

Oh, and "mojo components, "tropical fish" capacitors, "mustard" caps, carbon resistors and all the rest were only used because they were the cheapest parts available at the time, not for any sonic properties. If you can hear a difference between components it's either because their values differ or you're deluding yourself!
Absolutely, and frankly anyone who believes otherwise has been wearing too many "Emperor's New Clothes"!!!

User avatar
astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 548
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 01:30
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Post by astrobass »

If you're really finished visiting a forum, just delete the bookmark. There's no need for an announcement.

User avatar
Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 671
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 12:59
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue
Location: Dorset, UK
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Post by Lucifer »

I for one will be sorry to see you go, MicTester.

Many of us can only bring enthusiasm to the forum, but you brought wisdom, experience and expertise.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I personally have benefitted greatly from your contributions, and I thank you sincerely.

The place won't be the same without you.

All the best.

Lucifer
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

User avatar
uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 508
Joined: 25 Mar 2008, 20:19
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Post by uncleboko »

Lucifer wrote:I for one will be sorry to see you go, MicTester.

Many of us can only bring enthusiasm to the forum, but you brought wisdom, experience and expertise.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I personally have benefitted greatly from your contributions, and I thank you sincerely.

The place won't be the same without you.

All the best.

Lucifer
I agree.

User avatar
HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Dec 2008, 00:13
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Post by HEAD »

Lucifer wrote:I for one will be sorry to see you go, MicTester.

Many of us can only bring enthusiasm to the forum, but you brought wisdom, experience and expertise.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I personally have benefitted greatly from your contributions, and I thank you sincerely.

The place won't be the same without you.

All the best.

Lucifer
I second that, too.

User avatar
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1492
Joined: 20 May 2009, 01:45
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Post by Duckman »

Sorry, but I can't see the line where mictester states that he's leaving the forum... :scratch:

User avatar
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4182
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 08:44
Location: Old Amsterdam
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 882 times
Contact:

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

mictester wrote:Having designed, indeed originated, a number of guitar effects, and having designed for many of the "big names" over the years actually gives me licence to rip into the Boutique Boobs and to "dispense wisdom" to anyone bright enough to understand. However, I'd always hoped this would be a two-way transaction, with others providing the benefit of their experience and experimentation.

The issue I have these days is that some deeply insecure "designers" have decided that my experience is to be derided, that anything I have to offer is wrong, and that I'm arrogant (the last bit's true, but I can afford to be).
What exactly is new in the above Mic?
All you wrote above is an issue you ran into when you joined this place a few years ago and keep on running into. And it keeps getting you angry. Why?

You, for your own and probably good reasons, decided to ensure no reference to your work for others ever showed up. Those big names therefore always remain unclear. Same thing for the circuits you designed for those big names. Never was any of those circuits mentioned by name. You've designed kits (sold in South America wasn't it?) and series of boxes for local heroes. However, never ever was one of these kits or boxes shown and members from South America still struggle to get their parts from somewhere else becasue ther's nothing for sale in South America. You manage to get bargain prices nobody else can, not even in superbulk and take those as a reference for what "the price" should be, critisizing others when they pay a buck more (but never giving a lead on how to do better). And considering those years of experience all PCB and vero layout's you posted do not show that experience. They're not better, and sometimes even worse, than some "newbies" work.

Is everything you have to offer wrong? No, on the contrary. But much you do offer lacks the meat to support what you claim to be the only truth. You want to share experience but discard experience from others in a second when it doesn't fit you opinion, not even wondering if this other may be right as well. Do you think it's odd that when this happens again and again people start wondering who this clown is. There's a big difference between being arrogant and being unable to do a critical self reflection.

So, with that in mind the compliments and credits some above this post give you are a job well done considering that lack of meat. Really.
If I were to apply for a job, claiming years of experience in the most fantastic disciplines, and would show up with blank piece of paper being my CV, would you think I would be hired? Or even invited for a job interview?
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

User avatar
uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 508
Joined: 25 Mar 2008, 20:19
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Post by uncleboko »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
mictester wrote:Having designed, indeed originated, a number of guitar effects, and having designed for many of the "big names" over the years actually gives me licence to rip into the Boutique Boobs and to "dispense wisdom" to anyone bright enough to understand. However, I'd always hoped this would be a two-way transaction, with others providing the benefit of their experience and experimentation.

The issue I have these days is that some deeply insecure "designers" have decided that my experience is to be derided, that anything I have to offer is wrong, and that I'm arrogant (the last bit's true, but I can afford to be).
What exactly is new in the above Mic?
All you wrote above is an issue you ran into when you joined this place a few years ago and keep on running into. And it keeps getting you angry. Why?

You, for your own and probably good reasons, decided to ensure no reference to your work for others ever showed up. Those big names therefore always remain unclear. Same thing for the circuits you designed for those big names. Never was any of those circuits mentioned by name. You've designed kits (sold in South America wasn't it?) and series of boxes for local heroes. However, never ever was one of these kits or boxes shown and members from South America still struggle to get their parts from somewhere else becasue ther's nothing for sale in South America. You manage to get bargain prices nobody else can, not even in superbulk and take those as a reference for what "the price" should be, critisizing others when they pay a buck more (but never giving a lead on how to do better). And considering those years of experience all PCB and vero layout's you posted do not show that experience. They're not better, and sometimes even worse, than some "newbies" work.

Is everything you have to offer wrong? No, on the contrary. But much you do offer lacks the meat to support what you claim to be the only truth. You want to share experience but discard experience from others in a second when it doesn't fit you opinion, not even wondering if this other may be right as well. Do you think it's odd that when this happens again and again people start wondering who this clown is. There's a big difference between being arrogant and being unable to do a critical self reflection.

So, with that in mind the compliments and credits some above this post give you are a job well done considering that lack of meat. Really.
If I were to apply for a job, claiming years of experience in the most fantastic disciplines, and would show up with blank piece of paper being my CV, would you think I would be hired? Or even invited for a job interview?
"there's nothing for sale in South America" - really?? plenty of steak and dulce de leche :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 671
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 12:59
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue
Location: Dorset, UK
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Post by Lucifer »

For Duckman and any others who missed MicTester's 'leaving statement', see his posting on page 2 of this current topic, in which he states:
mictester wrote: I'm not going to bother with this site (and the others) any more.

See you around (or not.....)
That's why some of us have posted our regrets at his leaving.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

User avatar
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1492
Joined: 20 May 2009, 01:45
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Post by Duckman »

Thanks, but... those words are from 8/11 and you can see in his profile that this wasn't his last post or visit in the forum, hence my question. Nevermind, it's a free forum :thumbsup

User avatar
Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 671
Joined: 06 Apr 2011, 12:59
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue
Location: Dorset, UK
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Post by Lucifer »

Hi Duckman. I guess MicTester just had a few more things to get off his chest before closing the door.

Your question was valid and well intentioned, and so was my reply. :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

User avatar
MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information
Posts: 715
Joined: 28 Jul 2008, 12:27
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Post by MoonWatcher »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
mictester wrote:Having designed, indeed originated, a number of guitar effects, and having designed for many of the "big names" over the years actually gives me licence to rip into the Boutique Boobs and to "dispense wisdom" to anyone bright enough to understand. However, I'd always hoped this would be a two-way transaction, with others providing the benefit of their experience and experimentation.

The issue I have these days is that some deeply insecure "designers" have decided that my experience is to be derided, that anything I have to offer is wrong, and that I'm arrogant (the last bit's true, but I can afford to be).
What exactly is new in the above Mic?
All you wrote above is an issue you ran into when you joined this place a few years ago and keep on running into. And it keeps getting you angry. Why?

You, for your own and probably good reasons, decided to ensure no reference to your work for others ever showed up. Those big names therefore always remain unclear. Same thing for the circuits you designed for those big names. Never was any of those circuits mentioned by name. You've designed kits (sold in South America wasn't it?) and series of boxes for local heroes. However, never ever was one of these kits or boxes shown and members from South America still struggle to get their parts from somewhere else becasue ther's nothing for sale in South America. You manage to get bargain prices nobody else can, not even in superbulk and take those as a reference for what "the price" should be, critisizing others when they pay a buck more (but never giving a lead on how to do better). And considering those years of experience all PCB and vero layout's you posted do not show that experience. They're not better, and sometimes even worse, than some "newbies" work.

Is everything you have to offer wrong? No, on the contrary. But much you do offer lacks the meat to support what you claim to be the only truth. You want to share experience but discard experience from others in a second when it doesn't fit you opinion, not even wondering if this other may be right as well. Do you think it's odd that when this happens again and again people start wondering who this clown is. There's a big difference between being arrogant and being unable to do a critical self reflection.

So, with that in mind the compliments and credits some above this post give you are a job well done considering that lack of meat. Really.
If I were to apply for a job, claiming years of experience in the most fantastic disciplines, and would show up with blank piece of paper being my CV, would you think I would be hired? Or even invited for a job interview?
Thanks so much for posting this.

While I also generally like what Mic has (or had) to say, there's just too often the situation from similar types that I'm aware of like him. By his own words, he feels he has a right to be arrogant and overly critical. I've agreed with him where I felt he was putting forth something helpful to this community, I always wanted to flag something even if it was not popular, or I might get slammed by his followers. Even if I was wrong, there's always room for a balance of opinion. It can only help to further the dialog, as long as someone cares to not respond either defensively or childishly.

I think that whether or not Mic wants to admit it, he wants to be graciously and repeatedly appreciated by other posters. This isn't a flaw - it's part of being human. Whether or not someone is very knowledgeable on a subject doesn't make them exempt from it.

For me, it finally came to just accepting that Mic would offer lots of ideas without being able to accept the possibility of a suggestion of something else, or his inability to handle almost any criticism. And yes - no proof of his accomplishments beyond his word. Some will have a problem with that, but probably only because of the great lengths that he's gone to, to highlight it. So be it. I don't know who he designed for what, who his special clientele are, or any of that. The information that any forumite gives out basically has equal merit for me until I conclude otherwise. Possibly the only ones that I can't imagine ever questioning are Dirk, Bajaman, Soulsonic on the rare occasions he posts any longer, and a few others (SORRY if I didn't name ALL of you who fit this category).

I really doubt that Mic will ever leave. He "takes his ball and goes home" periodically but always seems to come back. I think the fact that again he's announced he's leaving almost emphasizes he will return. So this is good news for those who see no problem with his posting style here.

I just have to remember to sit on my hands when Mic insists that any use of a TL072 or similar op amp should have an input buffer to protect it (and no other form of protection instead), to not respond. It's clearly part of the reason he gets aggravated and leaves periodically.

User avatar
Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1492
Joined: 20 May 2009, 01:45
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 134 times

Post by Duckman »

MoonWatcher wrote:I really doubt that Mic will ever leave. He "takes his ball and goes home" periodically but always seems to come back. I think the fact that again he's announced he's leaving almost emphasizes he will return. So this is good news for those who see no problem with his posting style here.
+1

User avatar
Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
Posts: 1214
Joined: 24 Aug 2007, 07:36
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR
Location: Losser.........
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 726 times

Post by Bernardduur »

I got another one in. I noticed my old schematic was removed or the link died.

So here is the schematic:
Hot Tubes EH3075B 1980.JPG
This unit is the EH3075B version; what should be the EH3075 version?

Pic of my unit are on my blog / see my sig
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

User avatar
Lukasen
Information
Posts: 42
Joined: 25 Oct 2023, 17:41
Completed builds: Completed build: Buffer (Sziklai/Complementary type).
Mini OD-1 (modified copy of Boss OD-1 without buffers)
Location: Czechia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Post by Lukasen »

Thanks for the schematics.
I'll just add for lifelong beginners (like me): I think the second opamp has reversed input markings.

User avatar
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 4182
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 08:44
Location: Old Amsterdam
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 882 times
Contact:

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Bernardduur wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 22:21 I got another one in. I noticed my old schematic was removed or the link died.

So here is the schematic:

Hot Tubes EH3075B 1980.JPG

This unit is the EH3075B version; what should be the EH3075 version?

Pic of my unit are on my blog / see my sig
I'd say the 20k resistor for U1B should go to Vbias after you have corrected the mistake Lukasen mentioned ;-)
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

User avatar
BMS1971
Solder Soldier
Information
Posts: 172
Joined: 31 May 2020, 14:18
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Post by BMS1971 »

I used to have one, great pedal. I was quite disapointed with new version with tube....
Benoit

Post Reply