Heavy Spam Attacks - manual account activation  [RESOLVED]

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Hi all,

As some might have seen (or as I hope: not) there were some fierce AI powered spam attacks that came through. There was a lot, but most of it should be deleted by now. Most of it originated from mailaccounts like targettmail.com or trendesmail.com -- so they were easily caught.

For now, new account require manual activation by me, but I will be checking the board daily at least of the next few weeks.

I'm so sorry about the inconvencience
Johan
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

Good job in finding and fixing this, Johan. For those who didn't see it, it was pretty bad for a day or two. Mike

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Had a look through the settings, but thanks to Big G, we've now found a way to prevent the bulk of the spammers from signing up -- through email filtering.
Please don't hesistate to report new attacks, but also refrain from reporting any other issues with post than spam. Working with the broad brush these days...

Any other issues than spam, please contact me by pm.

Thanks again for your patience!
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

We managed to ban all signups from dodgy email addresses, but there are still the signups using Gmail or Hotmail account, which is theory could represent valid users.
Email activation is active again, but I may have to switch back -- email registration is not able to hold out the AI spam accounts, and the only thing to do is to manually look through the accounts and activate them.

For any new members trying to sign up -- please create some consistency between your email adress and username -- for now that's the only way for me to tell the difference between a spam account and a real user...

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

We've upgraded the spam measures and added the 3D Captcha... all seems to be cool