TC Electronic Sustain + EQ low volume

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Stevenrb718
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stevenrb718 »

I have a vintage TC Electronic Sustain + Par. EQ that has low effect output volume. I already replaced the bad 10uf caps. The bypass signal is fine but the effect volume is significantly lower. I know this isn't inherit to this pedal, so I'm looking for a repair, not a mod. What component/area should I look to next?

mauman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by mauman »

For continuity and to assist troubleshooting, here's a thread on this pedal: viewtopic.php?t=9043

Various posts there include links to the layout, BOM, service manual and schematic. Below is Harald Sabro's redrawn schematic with his notes. I would suspect either the compressor or noise suppressor function is causing your low-volume problem, but I'm not that conversant with compressors so that's about all I can contribute.
Schematic by Harald Sabro
Schematic by Harald Sabro

Stevenrb718
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Stevenrb718 »

mauman wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 14:43 For continuity and to assist troubleshooting, here's a thread on this pedal: viewtopic.php?t=9043

Various posts there include links to the layout, BOM, service manual and schematic. Below is Harald Sabro's redrawn schematic with his notes. I would suspect either the compressor or noise suppressor function is causing your low-volume problem, but I'm not that conversant with compressors so that's about all I can contribute.

sustain_parametric_eq_no_switching.png
Yeah I'm not sure where the issue is. I've repaired one of these in the past and this one definitely has a significantly lower output. I'm not good enough with reading the schematics to tell where an amplification or something takes place. I'm guessing there's a resistor somewhere that has gone out of spec, as rare as that is.