Fuzz pedal output signal effected by placement on pedal board

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
benhaynie
Information

Post by benhaynie »

Hello everyone, here is a weird one for you all!

I built a fuzz face replica for a friends dad about a year ago, built into a classic round enclosure, wired like the originals. It’s a silicon type, NPN. Hfe values were in the 300s if I remember correctly. Transistor type was a Telefunken BC107.

Anyway, he reached out to me recently to tell me that he loves the pedal but has experienced a strange issue that arises when the pedal is physically placed on his pedal board. The fuzz is after a crybaby mini wah and boss tuner, with other effects following behind the fuzz.

When the pedal is placed on his pedal board, he said it loses some high end and has some unwanted artifacts in the decay. But when the pedal is moved to the floor (still in same position of signal path), this problem goes away. He also said if he places his hand on the bottom of the enclosure, with it on his board, he can make the unwanted behavior go away…

I’ve never heard of anything like this before. Usually if there is a grounding problem, you hear people say that they can make unwanted noise INCREASE when they touch their pedal enclosure…not have it go away. Hiss and hum aren’t being described as the problem anyway.

What could be causing this?

I suggested putting the pedal before the buffered tuner and he is saying that is a no go for him.

Any insight is welcomed!

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

Fuzz should be your first pedal. If he doesn't like that, maybe he should be using something else. Fuzz after a buffer defeats the cleanup using your volume control. It does sound like a ground problem. You need to check the jacks for a ground connection.

freefrog
Information

Post by freefrog »

+1 about the fuzz in first position as being something to try. At least before the buffer of the Boss tuner and not after it. I've already heard decay artifacts apparently due to Boss buffers at the input of drive circuits. IME, an OCD does that too, for instance.

Regarding the loss in high frequencies, I'd keep in mind that parasitic capacitance at the output of a Fuzz Face circuit is no less than an external equalizer. I've devoted a topic to this question here: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/do-ca ... st-9754722
Jump to post 5 is my rambling is too tedious to read.
If I had the pedalboard here, I'd probably measure stray capacitance from the patch cable plugged at the output of the Fuzz. YMMV.

On the pedal reacting differently when on the floor or while a hand touches it: I'd also think to a grounding problem (with the player acting like a capacitor in the second case: human body is meant to measure 100pF and 1,5k in itself. Shoes and/or clothes probably rise these values). What about a grounding lead between the pedal and the floor? FWIW, I've solved more than once some issues of parasitic noise with added grounding wires - forming ideally a star grounding...

Good luck in your debugging.
Last edited by freefrog on 03 Apr 2024, 06:09, edited 1 time in total.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

mozz wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 22:46 This fuzz could be your his first pedal. This fuzz after a buffer defeats the cleanup sounds different.
Fixed it. Not all fuzzes are Fuzz Faces. Please don't perpetuate myths and sweeping generalizations.
benhaynie wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 13:00 When the pedal is placed on his pedal board
Anywhere on the board?! Is it just the "altitude" that makes a difference, not something obvious like proximity to a source of EMI?
he said
Is there a way to hear (and maybe record) this for yourself? Hearing is weird.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

stolen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by stolen »

Did you ground the enclosure?

stolen
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by stolen »

mozz wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 22:46 Fuzz should be your first pedal. If he doesn't like that, maybe he should be using something else. Fuzz after a buffer defeats the cleanup using your volume control.
C'mon don't be like that cleanup works either way just differently. Put fuzz wherever you want.

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

"mozz wrote: ↑Yesterday, 18:46
This fuzz could be your his first pedal. This fuzz after a buffer defeats the cleanup sounds different.
Fixed it. Not all fuzzes are Fuzz Faces. Please don't perpetuate myths and sweeping generalizations."

You didn't even quote my post, you changed some words and made it seem like you therefore are correcting me, which you definitely are not. Maybe in your mind oh great king.

This is what i wrote. Fuzz should be your first pedal. If he doesn't like that, maybe he should be using something else. Fuzz after a buffer defeats the cleanup using your volume control.

Umm, read the first post. He built a fuzz face replica. Maybe if you actually answered the question. It is not a myth a fuzz face cleans up. And how is it a generalization?

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

mozz wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 21:43 how is it a generalization?
Jake is a dog. Jake is yellow. Are all dogs yellow?
FF is a fuzz. FF has low input impedance. Do all fuzzes have low input Z?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

mozz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mozz »

Blocked. I really don't care for someone whom dissects your posts and misquotes you. I tried to answer the original question and i hope he gets it working properly.