Univox - Superfuzz  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM800

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Solidhex wrote:With any Superfuzz build expect a delayed blast of hiss about a split second after you hit a note or chord. If you don't like it TOUGH!

--Brad
The ones I built didn't do this.

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

salocin wrote:To those of you who have built the superfuzz- do you have much trouble with hum/noise? Just finished mine off, and there's a fair amount of hum, which i've never had much trouble with in previous builds. I did have to twist the legs of the base and collector round as I used 2SC828's but the layout was designed for 2N2222's. Could that have anything to do with it?
My layout is for 2SC828s

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

ShortScaleMike wrote:My layout is for 2SC828s
I'll certainly be using your layout for the next build, hadn't seen it when I started on this one though which is why I used the Ulysses layout from the DIYstompboxes gallery.

edit: Which schematic is your layout based off?

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

The univox one that is floating around the web. The electronic layout isn't verified yet unfortunately, the paper one I made this layout from was though.

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

ShortScaleMike wrote:
Solidhex wrote:With any Superfuzz build expect a delayed blast of hiss about a split second after you hit a note or chord. If you don't like it TOUGH!

--Brad
I've built around 13 clones and have played through 3 Orange/Blue Superfuzzes and probably around 6 different rebranded (companion, shinei, jax, Crown, etc) Superfuzz circuit equipped fuzz/wahs through all sorts of different amp/guitar combos. The weird gate hiss thing is always there to some degree from my experience with the circuit. Adjusting the trimpot will get a minimum amount of hiss when the octave is well balanced but after hitting a chord I always hear the characteristic Superfuzz hiss...

--Brad

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

Cheers for the confirmation.

How about the hum? Is this typical of them as well, or is this possibility related to my build?

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

salocin wrote:Cheers for the confirmation.

How about the hum? Is this typical of them as well, or is this possibility related to my build?
Yo

If you're getting a constant hum its most likely your build. I read up on the usual debugging processes. If you're runnning a wall wart try it with a battery.

--Brad

Kinki fuzz
Information

Post by Kinki fuzz »

Don't forget this is called SUPERfuzz, so some hiss is needed!, :lol: if not, this would be called, fuzz'whatever', but not 'super'. Make nastiness part of your live, guys!! :P

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Interesting point... but I think nastyness is present in sufficient doses in my life and in my pedals!

I have a Giannini (Braziliam Company) Superfuzz from 70's and even the layout was copied from the original.

It sounds cool and have a small portion of hum and hiss, they are there but not as an anoying factor.

graemey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by graemey »

ShortScaleMike wrote:I made designed and built a stripboard layout for this. the original layout is verified (it was a paper design), unfortunately this electronic version isn't as yet.

Here is the one I built:

Tones are footswitchable with a dual colour LED
Im putting this together as we speak...
Shouldn't one side of R3 reach up to hole h3 so it connects to Q1?
Also, isn't that a cut under R9 making 21 cuts in total?

Just thought I'd ask to avoid any mistakes! :?

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Looks like you're right on both counts there! Sorry about that, like I said my original hand drawn version is verified but this is not, I'll make those fixes shortly

Thanks!

graemey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by graemey »

ShortScaleMike wrote:Looks like you're right on both counts there! Sorry about that, like I said my original hand drawn version is verified but this is not, I'll make those fixes shortly

Thanks!

Cool!
I got my circuit finished and it sounds brilliant!
I tried germanium diodes and then swapped them for LEDs. Both sounded great so I might rig-up a footswitch to change between them both.
Think I will get a video of this one up on Youtube soon. Let you know if I do...

Thanks for the layout! :applause:

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

graemey wrote:
ShortScaleMike wrote:Looks like you're right on both counts there! Sorry about that, like I said my original hand drawn version is verified but this is not, I'll make those fixes shortly

Thanks!

Cool!
I got my circuit finished and it sounds brilliant!
I tried germanium diodes and then swapped them for LEDs. Both sounded great so I might rig-up a footswitch to change between them both.
Think I will get a video of this one up on Youtube soon. Let you know if I do...

Thanks for the layout! :applause:

Thank you for correcting it and thus making it verified (when I make the changes to it, it's on my home PC I try not to turn on since I'm in front of a computer all day. I'm glad you've got it working, it truly is a great design.

drmathprog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drmathprog »

Personally, except for the fact that it's AC powered instead of DC, I've always preferred the Univox Unifuzz to the Superfuzz. It's more versatile and useful.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Solidhex wrote:
ShortScaleMike wrote:

--Brad
I've built around 13 clones and have played through 3 Orange/Blue Superfuzzes and probably around 6 different rebranded (companion, shinei, jax, Crown, etc) Superfuzz circuit equipped fuzz/wahs through all sorts of different amp/guitar combos. The weird gate hiss thing is always there to some degree from my experience with the circuit. Adjusting the trimpot will get a minimum amount of hiss when the octave is well balanced but after hitting a chord I always hear the characteristic Superfuzz hiss...

--Brad
Hi,

my first post here so far. Even though it is just a little off topic: Brad, you're not happen to be the bass player of a famous rock band, that forced me with their special fuzz sound to build a SuperFuzz too? :lol:
Thx!

Regards!
Helge

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

Thanks for teh corrections Graeme, this is now a verfied layout:

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Fu Manchu, yeeeahhhhh. :thumbsup
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

graemey
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by graemey »

Finally got round to posting a youtube video of my Superfuzz.
Big thanks to Shortscalemike for the vero layout and, as you may see, I pinched the 'Starve' control idea also. :applause:

I used 2N3904 trannys in mine.

Check the link above. Fuzzchaos!

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Slamming job, graemey!

ShortScaleMike
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ShortScaleMike »

graemey wrote:

Finally got round to posting a youtube video of my Superfuzz.
Big thanks to Shortscalemike for the vero layout and, as you may see, I pinched the 'Starve' control idea also. :applause:

I used 2N3904 trannys in mine.

Check the link above. Fuzzchaos!
Wicked. Great job mate, I've watched a bunch of your videos before (you have some very nice gear indeed).