Devi Ever - Aenima  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i got this one a while ago- sorry for the shitty cell phone pix. i'll try and get some with a better camera soon.
it'a a 4 tranny fuzz with 2 2n222A's, and 2 MPSA18's configured in a rather odd way. maybe i'll try and give it the old RE soon, or if i can get some better pix we can all give it a shot.

nice sounding fuzz though, too bad about the e-tape!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Cool, I'll be interested in this scheme. I'm surprised not to see MF resistors in there, which I would think well suited to a glitchy fuzz
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

I'd be interested in this one too, theres no DE pedals on here so it would be good to start on them.
We need a high quality photo of both sides of the PCB, a list of components and a shot of the wiring.
Seems like aen (dwarfcraft) caught his tape sickness from devi! :mrgreen:
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

e45tg4t3
Information

Post by e45tg4t3 »

hi there,
well i´ve got no schematics for the aenima but some other stuff from devi´s abadoned designs... for those who are interested here´s the archive: http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=JOMCJ1P4

Benny

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

Yea, all that stuff is posted on the DE forums.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

e45tg4t3
Information

Post by e45tg4t3 »

yeah i know... but i thought may not everybody knows that^^...

Benny

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i don't really know when i'm going to get around to better pics, because the only access i have to a digital camera is my girl's, and it's extremely complicated. one of these days though we'll get it going and i'll get pics of the aenima, my time machine boost, the dunlop octavio, and my austone fuzz nuts. i think we still need all of those here. due to the high quality camera they should be nice and clear.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

I'd like to say thanks for posting the layout collection...except that trying to read them makes me want to punch someone in the face! [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif]

Are they looking down on top of the components, or from below?

e45tg4t3
Information

Post by e45tg4t3 »

i think it´s from above... but don´t be scared i´m at redrawing the whole bunch...

Benny

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

They are set out weird but you can easily just make it on perf or PCB exactly how its set out if you have trouble converting it. I converted the doomsday device to schematic once, it still looks weird, devi uses transistors like I've never seen them used before.

e45tg4t3
Information

Post by e45tg4t3 »

yeah that´s true^^... devis schematics are totally wierd... not even z.vex ideas are that crazy... :D but what the hell... that´s the evolution^^ about70 years ago nobody expected a distorted guitar signal would sound nice :mrgreen:

Benny

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

celadine wrote:trying to read them makes me want to punch someone in the face! [smilie=a_makeitstop.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif]
i'll second that emotion. [smilie=wtf.gif]

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

if you dont have a camere man you could always scan both sides of the PCB etc, scans usually result in high quality pics.....

celadine
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by celadine »

After having some time to draw out the schematics, I'm not feeling so violent anymore. 8)

It seems like the designs were done 'graphically' on a breadboard, then drawn as they appeared on the breadboard. Some connections make no sense electronically, but they do follow a pattern that repeats through the layouts. The internet has spoiled me - I expect instant schematic gratification without allowing for individual idiosyncracies. :block:

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

Yeah like the effect input going straight into the emitter, I've never seen that other than devi's abandoned circuits. Call me an electronics n00b, which I am by AG, dirk hendrick, and soulsonic standards, but its just not common on effects to see this. I've been into DIY for around 2-3 years and I've never seen this, nor the way devi sets out the layouts, they do look like a weird bread board layout BTW which makes it hard to read and draw a schematic from IMO. Maybe someone should teach tim shortnacy how to draw schematics. :D

Skarrgus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skarrgus »

More guts... I'll get this one traced today or tomorrow.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i was finally going to get on this as well. i'll see how far i can get.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

skar are you gettin this too? this shit is freaky! [smilie=a_holyshit.gif]

i'm just glad there there is someone else out there to verify this weirdness for me.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Skarrgus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skarrgus »

RnFR wrote:skar are you gettin this too? this shit is freaky! [smilie=a_holyshit.gif]

i'm just glad there there is someone else out there to verify this weirdness for me.
Pretty much, I think some of my cap values are different, though...
I can't read them because of the angle, but'll get at 'em later tonight. Looked like they say 25kv? And, my volume pot is wired in a typical fashion at the output with the 2nd lug going to the cap, cap going to "return" on the 3pdt.

P.S. Does your board have the empty tranny spot, too? I kind of want to toy around with it.
Last edited by Skarrgus on 15 Jan 2009, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

:scratch: :hmmm: :shock:
Wtf! I can't understand what happens to the signal just from the beginning! :?: