Replica Industries - Fuzzrite by Mossrite

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Blues Junior
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

OK I have some time now to start uploading pictures. Hopefully they will show up correctly. I've had problems with broken links when I try to show pictures in bbcode forums. And I really need to crop and resize most of them, so they might be slow loading. Also brighten them up a bit. Therefore I'll just post these three of the Fuzzrite to see if everything is working ok before uploading any more, ok? Anyway, as you will see, my little "micro studio" is a mess. It's ten pounds of gear in a nine pound box and I am also in the process of moving it. That's why it was such a pain in the butt to get the pictures done. I took these first pics last week, and already it looks completely different in that room. However I've moved some pedals into camera range that were not in it last week, so if I had mentioned something that you don't see I do plan to take a few more later and add them. I was not able to get pictures of everything, but you can see probably 90% of my pedals and assorted other things. Now, if anyone sees a pedal in these pics that they need gut shots of, please request it and I will post it/them as soon as I can. I hope that my little collection has something to offer the big dogs that hang around here, it may not be the biggest or the best but I have a few that would be prizes in anyone's collection. Finally - nothing is for sale/trade. And everything is for sale/trade. I'm sure that you all know how that goes. Now it's time for me to shut the f*** up (finally) and get to the candy!

Replica Industries Fuzzrite The Replica Industries Fuzzrite is crudely built. The circuit board looks like it was cut with a dull knife (it probably was), and it's not even cut squarely. It's held on only by the switch, which goes through a hole in the circuit board that looks like it was hacked out with the same dull knife. When I got it, the entire circuit board was wrapped in electrical tape. If anyone can tell me anything about this pedal, or Replica Industries, I'd love to hear it. I acquired the pedal cheaply, and on a whim, several years ago when I was not really collecting pedals per se; I know nothing about it and the only reference to Replica Industries that I could find anywhere was my own post here.
[img]http://www.zshare.net/image/51665759498432ad/]Replica%20Industries%201.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.zshare.net/image/51665872ac4c46d6/]Replica%20Industries%204.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.zshare.net/image/5166589877f16471/]Replica%20Industries%207.JPG[/img]

OK let me see how these worked and I'll make any necessary adjustments. Thanks for your patience.
Last edited by Rorer714 on 29 Nov 2008, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: None yet. Some successful repairs though, which is a step in the right direction.

Post by Rorer714 »

They didn't work!!! Aaarrgghh! What am I doing wrong here? If you copy and paste the link it takes you to the picture. It must be something very simple. I checked the main bbcode website and according to what I saw there I did it right. I used the img tab and placed the link inside of it as shown but they don't work. There's not much to do wrong here, but obviously I am doing something incorrectly. I made my first website in 1995 and I can't do this? WTF???

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

I posted them as links. You had an extra "]" in the IMG address. For some reason Zshare won't allow me to just post the images. Links work fine though.

You can also upload them as "attachments" directly from your computer.

http://www.zshare.net/image/51665759498 ... es%201.JPG
http://www.zshare.net/image/51665872ac4 ... es%204.JPG
http://www.zshare.net/image/5166589877f ... es%207.JPG

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:I posted them as links. You had an extra "]" in the IMG address. For some reason Zshare won't allow me to just post the images. Links work fine though.

You can also upload them as "attachments" directly from your computer.

http://www.zshare.net/image/51665759498 ... es%201.JPG
http://www.zshare.net/image/51665872ac4 ... es%204.JPG
http://www.zshare.net/image/5166589877f ... es%207.JPG
Thanks for noticing the typo and posting them. As for links instead of pics, that's what I ended up doing in the past on other sites. But it should not be that way. They should just open in the thread. Why does that happen? It has to be a Z-Share thing. I used Z-Share with no problems on a different site that is for people from my home town (Miami, FL). I posted tons of pictures there and it worked flawlessly. In fact that is how I found Z-Share, because they all used it there. But it seems that on forums that look like this one and were evidently created with the same program that Z-Share does not work well. The strangest thing is that sometimes they DO work. The same exact link sometimes shows as a photo, sometimes as a link, sometimes as a broken link. So it MUST have something to do with Z-Share. And I spent all that time uploading pictures and recording the URL's and the delete URL's if I need them etc. Several hours of work. But I am going to have to fund a different solution because it's not working.

What free file hosting sites do you guys use? Actually I can upload to my own server, well the server of the company where I have some sites hosted. I was using Z-Share etc. for convenience. I don't have to administer my sites and open programs etc. just to send a few pics up. So I can do that but I'd rather just use a quick and easy service like Z-Share. So who should I use? OR - you said that I can attach? On other sites like this one I could not attach. I guess that it would create too many storage issues. But this is a relatively small site so perhaps it is ok here. Certainly I will just attach them if I can! That's what I'd prefer! fact. I'm going to have my dinner now and I'll look into this later on. Thanks again.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

They should just open in the thread.
12 MB (automatically) within a thread ?
Do you know how long this takes to open the topic, especially for people who may not really be interested in the pics ?
If somebody is interested in a specific picture, he should click on the link....
Why does that happen?
Maybe god had mercy ?

I don´t understand too, why this pictures must be 4MB in size - as syou can see below, they ca be reduced to approx 150k without a significant loss. Anyway, thanks for the pics...

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

any lead on that jordan pedal?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Thanks for those pictures!

I can't wait to see the others :D
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

Thank You!

IMO posting links to the pics is best.

Just curious... is the stomp switch the only thing holding the board in palce? Also, what’s on the underside to keep it from shorting to the case?

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

RLBJR65 wrote:Thank You!

IMO posting links to the pics is best.

Just curious... is the stomp switch the only thing holding the board in palce? Also, what’s on the underside to keep it from shorting to the case?
Yes it's just the stomp switch holding it there. The board has a crudely cut hole in it and the switch goes through that and when tightened it holds the board tight. As for what is on the underside, there's nothing there. The board is mostly suspended a little bit off of the metal but actually it does touch in some places. I am going to redo that part of it to where it can't touch. I am not sure if the pedal works or not. When I got the pedal I plugged it in one time. I got sound but no effect. But I did not spend any time troubleshooting it, it could be anything. Probably something simple. That was several years ago and the pedal has been collecting dust ever since. But since I finally gave my little studio a cleaning and reorganizing last week, I took all of the pedals that I kept putting the repairs off on onto a table and I am doing them all one by one. I have 10-15 that need to be either repaired, sold as projects, or scrapped for parts.

Does anybody know anything about Replica Industries? Was it connected with Mosrite in any way? It does say Mosrite on it. And does that circuit look like anything that a Fuzzrite would have? I am not a Fuzzrite expert. I have the Zach Bass FuzzBrite that I use for fuzz, it's the only modern fuzz pedal that I have tried that actually sounds like a real sixties fuzz, well that and the reissue Fender Blender, which is a lot fuzzier than I ever expected it to be.

BTW, I did all of the studio reorganizing after I had snapped the previous set of photos that I had trouble uploading. I am taking a whole new set and you will be able to see everything much better now. So it's just as well that I had issues with those photos. I will get the Jordan and the Twister guts up soonest, as those had been requested first. Sorry for all the delays, but if you were here at my home then it would make sense to you. I am in the midst of several things going on at one time. Feast or famine, you know. Or when it rains, it pours. Choose your own idiom. With all of this buildup I sure hope that you guys like my little collection, but it's no Tony Scrambler type of thing. It's just the bottomless hole where I store my money.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

analogguru wrote:
They should just open in the thread.
12 MB (automatically) within a thread ?
Do you know how long this takes to open the topic, especially for people who may not really be interested in the pics ?
If somebody is interested in a specific picture, he should click on the link....
Why does that happen?
Maybe god had mercy ?

I don´t understand too, why this pictures must be 4MB in size - as syou can see below, they ca be reduced to approx 150k without a significant loss. Anyway, thanks for the pics...

analogguru
I never realized that they were coming out of the camera at 4MB until now. That would explain the problems. I figured they were around 150k or something. I usually edit photos a bit before posting, and I would have caught the size at that time, but there was no photo editing software on the computer I was using. I can lower the camera's resolution, but I want it high for the closeups. The better option is for me to load some basic photo editing software on this computer and edit the photos before uploading next time, and that is exactly what I will do. I've got software, that's not a problem.

The main thing was that I never realized how large they were, straight from the camera, now that I know I don't think I'll have problems on the next ones. Sorry 'bout that!

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

RLBJR65 wrote:Just curious... is the stomp switch the only thing holding the board in palce? Also, what’s on the underside to keep it from shorting to the case?
I forgot to mention that when I got the pedal the entire circuit board was wrapped in electrical tape. That's what kept it from shorting out to the case.

PS - Hey Discofreq I figured that you would have the pictures of this on your site by now! You don't have one of these there. I have a couple more coming up that you don't have either. I would be honored to be a contributor to your site!
Actually though since you haven't posted these yet you may as well wait for a better picture of the outside of the box, the word "Replica" is obscured by the flash in this photo but it is clearly there otherwise. I've snapped a better one and will up it with the rest that are coming.

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

It's in my "to do" folder :)

I need to find some more info about Replica Industries, or do you know more about them?

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

DiscoFreq wrote:I need to find some more info about Replica Industries, or do you know more about them?
I was hoping that you did!

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

Rorer714 wrote:
DiscoFreq wrote:I need to find some more info about Replica Industries, or do you know more about them?
No :D

Any idea how old your pedal is?

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Your image didn't display because you had spaces in your image's file name. Remove those and the forum software can parse the links.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

Sickle wrote:Your image didn't display because you had spaces in your image's file name. Remove those and the forum software can parse the links.
Aha! Thank you! I've been having this problem an other boards too that must use the same software because they look about the same. This should get me all fixed up! I like to name my files the same as what they are for easy reading, but I can put underscores in them or remove the spaces for web forum posting.

Again, thank you so much! You have no idea how long this seemingly easy question has gone unanswered on many forums. I should have figured it out, heck I made my first web site around 1996. But I never had any problems with my images and they were named like these. It must be specific to forums made with this type of software.

Rorer714
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Rorer714 »

DiscoFreq wrote:
Rorer714 wrote:
No :D

Any idea how old your pedal is?
Nope. I won it on eBay around 2005, and it looked exactly how it looks right now. It was a whim purchase for me. I particularly like obscure pedals. The guy who was auctioning it said that he bought it from the man who made them, and the man said that if it ever broke to bring it back and he would repair it. He also said that he did not know if it worked or not (which usually means not); and if I recall, when I plugged it in it passed audio when the effect was bypassed but nothing when it was engaged. I'd like to know who made it so I could get him to fix it! But I put it on the shelf and it has been collecting dust ever since. I do plan to eventually diagnose and repair it. A couple of things that the guy auctioning it stated did not add up. For one, why didn't he take it back to the guy who made it (but I am almost certain that he said that he moved away and lost track of the guy). Also, the way that he described it made it seem like he did not know much about it, but it sure looks like somebody was well acquainted with it! But no matter, I didn't pay a lot for it and I did get the overall impression that he was telling the truth and describing it accurately. But he also came off as young and not experienced with pedals etc; and that does not jibe with an old, beat up looking fuzz pedal. But who really knows, anyway I didn't care. It's not like it cost hundreds of dollars.

There is NO information about the pedal, or Replica Industries, on the internet. However, oddly enough, I did recognize the name Replica Industries when I saw the auction. I recalled a brief mention of the pedal on a website when I was researching fuzz pedals and trying to find a newer one that was affordable and sounded like real, raunchy 1960's fuzz; not like a slightly dirty distortion pedal as almost all new pedals with the fuzz name attached to them. In particular I was looking for opinions about Ashley Bass's FUZZbrite Fuzzrite clone (which I eventually bought, and imo it is the closest modern pedal to the real deal). So I had looked that up and along with it found a mention of the Replica Industries pedal. I didn't pay much attention to that though, as I did not see any for sale. I vaguely recall that they said that the pedal was very good but made in extremely limited quantities. I also vaguely recall a figure of around $190 being related to the Replica Industries pedal but I don't know now what it pertained to. Maybe you can find that web page by searching for modern fuzz pedals, or FUZZbrite. I did try that and could not find it, although I didn't try too hard. But if I know myself it would be on the first page of the search results and would almost assuredly have been a search for something like I mentioned above. One thing of note to me is how it says both "Mosrite" and "Fuzzrite" on it, and it has the on/off switch. Which, to me, makes it seem like it was connected to the real thing somehow. But Ed Sanner, the Fuzzrite's designer, still makes the Fuzzrite under his own name so I don't know how there could be another "authentic" Mosrite Fuzzrite.

I like these mysteries though! If you do too then here's another one: I have a Harmony H1720 Tremelo Reverb. It's a solid state unit of amp-top size, wrapped in dark blue padded vinyl (looks very 1970's). I cannot find a single reference to this thing anywhere. It actually sounds very good, although not as a tremelo or a reverb particularly. The reverb is so-so, but I am replacing the tank. The springs are pretty flabby and I have a nice 60's NOS replacement for it. And the tremolo does not function at all. I'll diagnose and repair that eventually. But it makes an awesome distortion! I don't know if that's because of the non-working tremelo, but if you crank the levels up it becomes a lovely vintage distortion. I did not pay much for it, it was around $50. I'll post pictures soon. As I said there is nothing out there that I could find about this one, but we did get lucky because it came from Harmony with a schematic sticker pasted on the bottom. I am going to scan it and sharpen it up, then post it here so you can add the box along with schematic to your site if you wish. I might have a couple more items that aren't on your page, when I finally post photos you can check to see which ones you need, or whch gutshots you need, and I'll snap them.

PS - I am getting better all the time at fixing this stuff, but I am still not proficient at diagnosis of problems beyond the simple things. So, by looking at the pictures here, can anyone tell me what they would look for in order to fix this thing? It passes audio when the effect is bypassed, but nothing when the effect is engaged. I -think- that I checked the switches etc. back then and they were ok.

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Rorer714 wrote:
Sickle wrote:Your image didn't display because you had spaces in your image's file name. Remove those and the forum software can parse the links.
Aha! Thank you! I've been having this problem an other boards too that must use the same software because they look about the same. This should get me all fixed up! I like to name my files the same as what they are for easy reading, but I can put underscores in them or remove the spaces for web forum posting.

Again, thank you so much! You have no idea how long this seemingly easy question has gone unanswered on many forums. I should have figured it out, heck I made my first web site around 1996. But I never had any problems with my images and they were named like these. It must be specific to forums made with this type of software.
No problem. Its a glitch with phpBB v2 code(this forum). v3 will parse it regardless. If you use underscores, you'll be fine, just insert those where you would a space and you're good to go.

:mrgreen:

The forum also won't parse tildes ` and dashes - just so you know.

Cheers,
D

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Rorer714 wrote:PS - I am getting better all the time at fixing this stuff, but I am still not proficient at diagnosis of problems beyond the simple things. So, by looking at the pictures here, can anyone tell me what they would look for in order to fix this thing?
Check the bottom of the circuit board for cold solder joints, etc. Also, check your capacitors, as they usually take a dump first if they're poor quality ones.

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

analogguru wrote:Maybe god had mercy ?
You're too much, man..