Zvex - Box of Rock  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
sadrew
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sadrew »

My pcb layout (without the boost section)

Verified!
Attachments
Box Of Rock.zip
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 964 times

Trigger
Information

Post by Trigger »

On Torchy's layout, C6 is a 1UF electrolytic. Does it matter if this is a non-polarized cap. I mis-ordered and don't have a polarized cap and can't get one locally. Thanks for the help. This is my 1st pedal build, should be interesting. The components are alot smaller than the tube amps I usually build.

Torchy
Information

Post by Torchy »

Non-polar should be ok.

Trigger
Information

Post by Trigger »

Thanks Torchy. Also thank you for your layout. Great work. I appreciate it.

Ed G.
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ed G. »

Some time ago, I breadboarded my bsiab with a marshall 3 band tone stack. Didn't care for it at all. Think about it. My super reverb already has a scooped tone response. Add more scoop, and you have the equivalent of the grand canyon of tone scoopage.

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Ed G. wrote:Some time ago, I breadboarded my bsiab with a marshall 3 band tone stack
I tried it too some time ago and didn't like it, I think it doesn't add much more to that circuit and it gets too much complicated to handle.
BTW ED G., have you ever tried the bsiab II with a higher Voltage (I 'm thinking about using a max1044 or something like that)?
thank you

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Apparently, you will like the double voltage my friend, read here;

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1482&p=37454&hilit=okko#p30996
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

nooneknows
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by nooneknows »

Very interesting, thank you. I think it's about time to build it again, I dont' have my original one anymore to test it with 2 batteries.

sandmannn69
Information

Post by sandmannn69 »

Anybody tried building a box of rock with a Super Duper 2-in-1 instead of a Super Hard-on for the boost section? Seems like it would make 3 pedals in one with just another 3PDT (and a few parts) to switch between SHO or Super duper for boost.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

Ed G. wrote:Some time ago, I breadboarded my bsiab with a marshall 3 band tone stack. Didn't care for it at all. Think about it. My super reverb already has a scooped tone response. Add more scoop, and you have the equivalent of the grand canyon of tone scoopage.
I'm going to have to agree. I haven't liked the Marshall 3-band tone stack in any of the pedals I've tried it in. The mid scoop just doesn't really work well with my amp (Fender Blues Jr.). It might be good if you're looking for a scooped metal tone, but I don't see it working for anything else.

B_of_H
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B_of_H »

Can the BOR take more than 9v?

the reason i'm asking is that i'm planning on putting one in the same box as an OCD which i'd like to run at 12v or higher if I can and I don't want to run to DC jacks in the pedal if I don't have to.

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

I've been wanting to revisit this circuit lately, for some reason. So, I made my own schematic/layout drawing. Let me know what you think.

It's unverified, but checks out in Eagle.

>Z'Irritating Container of Mineral Matter<

paparoni
Information

Post by paparoni »

^hi Mr. G.. isn't it there is another diode in series with the 9v? well based on the original schematic posted on the 1st page there's this '5187' diode connected to 9volts..

is it ok if i disregard it? if not can a 9v zener can be possibly used for it?

the layout posted by madbean do not have the '5187' diode and the 82ohm resistor on 9v..
and the one posted by sadrew doesnt have the 82ohm resistor that's connected in series with '5187' diode..

will this pedal still work even if the said is not present, vice versa?

i've made my own version of this pedal based on sadrew's layout and there seem to be a problem on my built, there's this annoying BASS humm which i think coming from the gain area of the circuit (with the 3 mosfets), because when i tweak the gain knob, it sounds like squeeky, i tried to replace my pot for it but then still same problem occurs.. turning the pot to lowest increases the BASS HUMM.. what seems to be my problem?

btw, i used a special cap for the 470pf, i baught a 470pf labeled as 'high voltage' 4000v, will this be the issue? :hmmm:

hope someone can help me, im a newbie in this forum..

thank you guys! :D

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

paparoni wrote:^hi Mr. G.. isn't it there is another diode in series with the 9v? well based on the original schematic posted on the 1st page there's this '5187' diode connected to 9volts..

is it ok if i disregard it? if not can a 9v zener can be possibly used for it?

the layout posted by madbean do not have the '5187' diode and the 82ohm resistor on 9v..
and the one posted by sadrew doesnt have the 82ohm resistor that's connected in series with '5187' diode..

will this pedal still work even if the said is not present, vice versa?

i've made my own version of this pedal based on sadrew's layout and there seem to be a problem on my built, there's this annoying BASS humm which i think coming from the gain area of the circuit (with the 3 mosfets), because when i tweak the gain knob, it sounds like squeeky, i tried to replace my pot for it but then still same problem occurs.. turning the pot to lowest increases the BASS HUMM.. what seems to be my problem?

btw, i used a special cap for the 470pf, i baught a 470pf labeled as 'high voltage' 4000v, will this be the issue? :hmmm:

hope someone can help me, im a newbie in this forum..

thank you guys! :D
On my build I put the 82ohm resistor off the pad for the 9v then just soldered the wire from the resistor.
I think the 5187 resistor just prevents from using the wrong voltage adapter. as long as you don't try and put the battery on backwards or use the wrong adapter you should be fine.
What do you mean by "SQUEAKY?"
The crackle noise is normal as it is on the original.
The only problem I have with mine is it is really bass heavy but I think I might remove one of the .002uf resistors and see if that helps.

sliberty
Information

Post by sliberty »

A Marshall is a very bottom heavy amp, and so the pedal, being modeled after a Marshall, has lots of bass as well. (I use the word "modeled" very loosely). I thnk this isa good thing, but YMMV. Look through this thread, and you will find a guy who added a full Marshall tone stack to his build - maybe that would be more pleasing to your ears.

paparoni
Information

Post by paparoni »

mattpas wrote: On my build I put the 82ohm resistor off the pad for the 9v then just soldered the wire from the resistor.
I think the 5187 resistor just prevents from using the wrong voltage adapter. as long as you don't try and put the battery on backwards or use the wrong adapter you should be fine.
What do you mean by "SQUEAKY?"
The crackle noise is normal as it is on the original.
The only problem I have with mine is it is really bass heavy but I think I might remove one of the .002uf resistors and see if that helps.

squeaky, umm when i turn the gain pot, whether high or low, it sounded like it is broken, a scrappy sound..
but i used three of it still the bass hum is too loud, and the scrappy pot sound is still there..

i also tried both 2n7000/bs170 but the same problem happens :(

do this clone sounds near to the original?

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

squeaky, umm when i turn the gain pot, whether high or low, it sounded like it is broken, a scrappy sound..

Sounds like "crackle ok" to me. are you aware that the knob is meant to make crackle, scratchy, crunchy noises?
The Drive and Boost controls are based on my original Super Hard-On gain control, so they may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal.
quoted from Zvex himself.
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

paparoni
Information

Post by paparoni »

moltenmetalburn wrote:

Sounds like "crackle ok" to me. are you aware that the knob is meant to make crackle, scratchy, crunchy noises?
The Drive and Boost controls are based on my original Super Hard-On gain control, so they may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal.

really? :? im not aware, well i guess its normal as you said so :D thanks! :)

about the bass thingy, how will i able to decrease the bass freq? because it has too much bass.. together with the hum on my built..

sliberty
Information

Post by sliberty »

Fix your hum problem before you attack the bass response. Make sure it is working correctly before you make changes.

Then, once it is all working correctly, reducing bass is just like reducing bass in any other circuit. Look at the capacitors in use at various places in the audio signal chain. Reducing the size of some of them is the most likely way to reduce your bass response. Although I think you should just turn up the tone pot and not mod the pedal. You will want that bass response in some situations.

mattpas
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mattpas »

paparoni wrote:
moltenmetalburn wrote:

really? :? im not aware, well i guess its normal as you said so :D thanks! :)

about the bass thingy, how will i able to decrease the bass freq? because it has too much bass.. together with the hum on my built..
Since this is somewhat based on the BSIAB I think if you remove one of the .002uf caps it should open it up more. If it is still too bassy remove the other one.
If this does work for you whatever cap you remove you can remove the 10k resistor with it and just jump it.