Seamoon - Funk Machine  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

FUNK MACHINE

GUTS - TRACE SIDE

SCHEMATIC

It seems that some people have had trouble building from the schematic. If one of you guys has "component side" board photos it would go a long way toward confirming the schematics accuracy.

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

This isn't my pic so someone better save it.

http://www.studio1525.com/catalog/image ... 9-07-5.JPG

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Professor SourTone wrote:This isn't my pic so someone better save it.

http://www.studio1525.com/catalog/image ... 9-07-5.JPG

Saved ! I'll try to put together a composite today.

Thanks !

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Are there sound samples anywhere? I did a half-hearted Google search but didn't see anything. $450 is an awful lot to spend just to check one out.
The television will not be revolutionized.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The Rotagilla wrote:Are there sound samples anywhere? I did a half-hearted Google search but didn't see anything.
You can compare it with the EH Doctor Q or Coron Funk Box.
$450 is an awful lot to spend just to check one out.
You can build your own much cheaper with this schematic from R.G.:
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/seamoon.gif
The only mistake is the 13k resistor which is in reality a 33k resistor.

Difference between v1 and v2 is that in v1 the combination 47k + 5M pot is a fixed resistor of 470k.

analogguru
Attachments
Seamoon - Funk Machine
Seamoon - Funk Machine
seamoon.gif (8.56 KiB) Viewed 10196 times
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

analogguru wrote:[
You can build your own much cheaper with this schematic from R.G.:

Difference between v1 and v2 is that in v1 the combination 47k + 5M pot is a fixed resistor of 470k.

analogguru
The schematic is listed in the original post.
Thanks for listing the errors...that will definitely help people get more successful builds.

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Thanks for the corrections AG.
The television will not be revolutionized.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

Resize to 25%.

10uF*** is not presented in the schematic.
1M Resistor is added for pop elimination, not sure it may help in this circuit thought. You may obsolete it if you like.

5M Pot was replaced with 1M with OPT1, OPT2 and OPT3 added for range selection with SP3T selector.
If this option is used, cut the thin trace connecting OPT1 to the POT.

If you want to build Version1, Just ignore OPT2 and OPT3...leave it blank.

Transistor used is 2N5088. No sure how it would affect the tone. NTE95 is the alternative to 40006 transistor. Be careful on the layout though.
Dual op-amp used instead 2x 741 op amp.

You will not get the vintage replica from this.
But if you like to go ahead to build and share your build report here.

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

analogguru wrote: You can build your own much cheaper with this schematic from R.G.:
Not bad for over ten years ago, though I guess. :lol:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

R.G. wrote:
analogguru wrote: You can build your own much cheaper with this schematic from R.G.:
Yes, yes..... but.... how should I say it.... The feedback resistor (and added trimmer) on the Phase90 schematic still connects to the wrong phase stage.... it should connect to the inverting input of the next stage.... have a look at the corresponding thread and some guts.... :roll: :wink:

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

analogguru wrote:
R.G. wrote:
Yes, yes..... but.... how should I say it.... The feedback resistor (and added trimmer) on the Phase90 schematic still connects to the wrong phase stage.... it should connect to the inverting input of the next stage.... have a look at the corresponding thread and some guts.... :roll: :wink:

analogguru

errh...you mean this schematic is not working?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

What is the difference between a Seamoon Funkmachine and a Mxr Phase 90 ?
In this thread, where is talked about the Funkmachine and where about the Phase 90 ?
In this thread, what did I say about the schematic of the Seamoon Funkmachine ?
In the schematic of the Funkmachine, can you find the Phrase "Phase 90" ?
And finally, does there exist a schematic of a "Phase 90" at Geofex and is there a link to it in this thread ?

analogguru

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

analogguru wrote: Not bad for over ten years ago, though I guess. :lol:
Yes, yes..... but.... how should I say it.... The feedback resistor (and added trimmer) on the Phase90 schematic still connects to the wrong phase stage.... it should connect to the inverting input of the next stage.... have a look at the corresponding thread and some guts.... :roll: :wink: [/quote]

:lol: :lol: Say it any way you like. :lol: :lol:
I was doing this ..... over..... a decade ago.... (to make creative use of multiple periods - a true ellipsis is only three of them like this: "...") when there were no other threads and no guts being shopped around. :shock: :wink: :lol: :shock: :? :P :D

In fact, there were remarkably few digital cameras around to do gut shots, so that had to be done by taking film shots and scanning. In fact, sometimes there was a pedal I had for fifteen minutes to trace before the owner knew it had been opened. :? :o :) :D :wink: :lol:
Sometimes I never got to see the pedal, or guts at all, only someone's scratchings on a piece of paper to try to make something out of. Sometimes the old pedals were simply unavailable, there not yet being networks of people who'd curdled out into knots of special interests to feed info to me.

It was a fun time. I got to pioneer a lot of stuff that have become so common that people think they've always existed. I did the first effects parts store, to my knowledge; got bored, because I'm not a shopkeeper at heart. Popularized using PNP for effects PCBs. Put effects layouts on the net. In fact, as far as I've ever seen, I came up with the technique of using multilayer photo shots of a PCB to nail down traces and components in a combo shot to do tracing. I'm sure I'm not the first to ever think of that, but I've never seen an earlier reference, just as I'm sure that someone, somewhere put up PCB layouts on the net before I did. I've just never seen it, and I was watching.

Besides, I thought getting a lot of other people involved in DIY effects would be a good thing to do, so I worked hard at that. I did about half of the first internet effects schematics archive, back when web pages were a rarity, not more common than human beings. I published the schematic and PCB layout for the univibe clone before there were web pages that anyone off-campus could get to, only uusenet. I was threatened, in public on a forum, if I disclosed the circuit of the Rangemaster (I did it anyway :lol: ), much to the enablement of the booteekers. :scratch:

I did a lot of the earliest groundwork for the effects scene on the internet today, so I forgive myself the occasional mistake. What the heck, I'm human, and I make them. Most humans do every now and then.

I'm reminded of the old joke about two friends on a tiger hunt. One of them wakes up one morning in the tent, and his partner is not anywhere to be seen. He crawls out of his sleeping roll and stands up looking out the open back of the tent, then the open front. In the distance, there is a bobbing head - it's his partner, running as hard as he can. As the partner gets closer, yelling and whooping, he can see that there is a tiger behind him, intent on making a meal of him. The partner reaches the tent, tosses the late-sleeper a gun and yells as he runs through the tent "Here! You take this one! I'll go find another one for me...!

I do appreciate your diligent work in nailing down any loose ends. It's a good thing you do. Keep up the good work. :roll: :wink: :lol:

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

analogguru wrote:What is the difference between a Seamoon Funkmachine and a Mxr Phase 90 ?
In this thread, where is talked about the Funkmachine and where about the Phase 90 ?
In this thread, what did I say about the schematic of the Seamoon Funkmachine ?
In the schematic of the Funkmachine, can you find the Phrase "Phase 90" ?
And finally, does there exist a schematic of a "Phase 90" at Geofex and is there a link to it in this thread ?

analogguru
My appologize.
You don't have to be so fume...i just don't get your topic.
And the question that you listed up was exactly the question that i find myself can't connect to.
Perhaps i shall read your post more carefully.

I don't mean to be rude or anything.
I just done the layout and shared immediately. It is not even shown up in my blog yet.
So i want to make sure i'm not dumping rubish into your forum.

Anyway....thanks for your good sharing always.

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

lynessmy wrote:errh...you mean this schematic is not working?
No. I believe he means that there is possibly one and only one resistor value he believes is incorrect. I do know the schematic is correct, because people have built them from that schematic and have made working units. It is possible that (a) I read a value wrong on the unit I reverse engineered or (b) there were two different models/versions that were issued. In either case, a layout done from the schematic works. At worst, if I mistook one resistor value, that one resistor would have to be exchanged for another value. The connections are the same.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

RG....thanks for clarifying....i had change the resistor value to 33k after reading some post. The layout i posted has the value recommended.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

I have a Seamoon Funk Machine, the black sheet metal box (v1 on my site: http://filters.muziq.be/model/seamoon/funkmachine), if there are any things I should look at...
EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

lynessmy wrote:RG....thanks for clarifying....i had change the resistor value to 33k after reading some post. The layout i posted has the value recommended.
Hey, don't just take my word for it. Independent verification is always good. AG has thoughtfully provided a gut shot which shows a 33K. As I mentioned before, I thought the one I saw was 13K, but that's been almost ten years ago, and the conditions for getting that value may not be the best. Just put in the space for a resistor there, and try both values. Use whichever one sounds best, gives the best range, etc, etc, etc.

That's what DIY is all about - get it the way YOU like it.

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

analogguru wrote:Image
Yeah, cool. Looks like that unit has a 33K there, if that's the position for that resistor; at least it is in that unit, perhaps or perhaps not the one I looked at long ago and far away. It's always possible the one I looked at had been tinkered with too.

The longer I mess with this stuff the more I realize that there is no absolute reality, no razor's edge of black and white, other than the ones we set up in our own minds. :lol: