Lovepedal - Purple Plexi 800 [goop-alarm]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
grolschie
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by grolschie »

orogeny wrote:Uh, oh. That sputtering decay you guys are talking about is a deal killer for me. I was going to build this pedal but now I don't see the point.

BTW LOTS!!! of pedals seem to do this. The blues driver was the first one that caught my ears. Ever since I heard it, any pedal that doesn't pass the smooth decay to silence test is gone.
The LM386 based pedal I built has a crackle on the decay. Sounded quite good until the I let a note ring out.

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

grolschie wrote:
orogeny wrote:Uh, oh. That sputtering decay you guys are talking about is a deal killer for me. I was going to build this pedal but now I don't see the point.

BTW LOTS!!! of pedals seem to do this. The blues driver was the first one that caught my ears. Ever since I heard it, any pedal that doesn't pass the smooth decay to silence test is gone.
The LM386 based pedal I built has a crackle on the decay. Sounded quite good until the I let a note ring out.
Yup, but when I put the JRC386 in, no sputtering. Now, anyone wanna help me figure out how to add a Marshall Tone Stack to this pedal? I wired one up to some perfboard, and have tried it in different spots, but I'm not sure what the "right" way to do it is - if there is one. I'd also like to try this w/ the DLS. But I have the PP800 on the breadboard now.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

ciccius wrote:Hi

Any body had my same pb the when the gain is to 10 the pedal hiss? The original pedal don't hiss. I think that the pcb is not correct.
I have an original ProValve, and it hisses very much. I think it depends on what chip you use.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Fuzzed
Information

Post by Fuzzed »

mine doesn't hiss.
try other chips but the same model. ;)

any subs for this one?

I like its sound, but the decay isn't very pleasing, still nice OD / Dist kinda pedal.

I really need to buy a new guitar though.

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

Anyone put together a vero for this one yet? Nevermind. Found it within the PDF.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

highway jones wrote:Anyone put together a vero for this one yet? Nevermind. Found it within the PDF.
Share with us then :)

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

sinner wrote:
highway jones wrote:Anyone put together a vero for this one yet? Nevermind. Found it within the PDF.
Share with us then :)
page 4, bottom of the page.

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

finish mine hmmmm.... same problem withe others cant use 10 on gain making a a weird noise it wistles.....and decay is not smooth... is there a way to smoothen the decay???.....

rousejeremy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rousejeremy »

I breadboarded this and had the same issue. High pitch whistling kind of sound. I also had the exact same problem with a Lovepedal Eternity build. Shielded wire trimmed as short as possible helped.
I don't think I will build this circuit though. There's nothing Marshall about it. It actually reminded me of the distortion channel in a Peavey Bandit I used to have.

dergroovemeister
Information

Post by dergroovemeister »

My build sounds great. Just like the clips on youtube. Also no squeal on max gain. I really like this 'Marshall in a box'!

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

Mine sounds great as well. No squeal or funky artifacts.
Granted I tweaked it to work better with a low to high gain range
on the gain knob as opposed to the small mid, high range as stock.
I changed the tone control as well....
Sounds marshall esq to me.

John

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

this thing sounds like a solidstate marshall MG series theres some good sound but the distortion is not what im after...good thing theres a D A M sonic titan here that uses almost the same parts will recycle the parts :)

running this thing on a 50watt tube head thru a 4x12.... it made my all tube head sound cheap oh well... i wonder how the original purple plexi sounds like

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

i have been building circuits with the 386 for over a decade and you can get some really good sounds out of them. but you need to socket that bad boy. if you don't you will get some serious disappointment possibility's. the resistor they put between the pins 8 and 1 don't always spec out to be the same. way over 5% tolerance. i used to sit and measure these things and sort them out for different purposes i would actually have to sort them out for high gain, booster and worthless.

some of the best sounding ones actually had a really nasty decay to them that was impossible to get out. you could change the voltage up or down. regulate it try to filter it out. no one i know succeeded in getting them to stop doing it once they did. pity cause they really sounded good till the crapped out. this was with all of them including the jrc386 but mostly the lm series. i used to think the n-1 hung the moon till i got a bad batch that did the crappy decay to it then so i started using the n-3 and n-4 the four is my baby for higher voltage stuff. but i stuck with the three's. i was building a pedal that touted the marshall sound for some time utilizing that chip as well.

i pretty much stopped that though cause was tired of getting compared to a smash drive. but you can do some fun shit with it. i prefer to hit it with a booster first to make it really scream you can get some jcm 800 slash boogie stuff.

ed

dergroovemeister
Information

Post by dergroovemeister »

@John,
How did you change the tone control?

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

...getting ready to put one of these together on vero using an NJM386. Can this build drive a small speaker based on the PP800 circuit?

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

I took out the whole tone section and put in a variant of of the SWTC (mark hammer's stupidly wonderful tone control.) Search for it at DIYstomp.

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

update: i upgraded all my caps to panasonic electrolytic and metallized box fim this thing sounded GREAT!!!! this build is the best so far.... at first it was a disappointment but upgraded all the cheap caps and POW!!!! this thing rocks truly is a marshall in a box

minatour87
Information

Post by minatour87 »

highway jones wrote:...getting ready to put one of these together on vero using an NJM386. Can this build drive a small speaker based on the PP800 circuit?
you can use the pp800 to drive 2 LM386 in parallel. look up 'run off groove Little Gem MK II' amp.

highway jones
Information

Post by highway jones »

I built this with a JRC386 and it sounds fantastic! I had none of the issues I have seen described by some others here. However, the max gain is bunched up at the very end of the gain pot's rotation but, I don't really use that much gain anyway. The only thing I would like to change is to lower the gain at the lowest pot setting. Where is a good place to start to address this? The 470R resistor?

elrengofa
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by elrengofa »

I leave here my version of the PCB.
This PCB is based on the schematic that left in this forum.
I hope this helps someone:)

Translated by google, sorry for the inglish :slap:
Attachments
purple plexi.PDF
(866.46 KiB) Downloaded 1059 times