Devi Ever - Aenima  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
hazelwould
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hazelwould »

Scruffie wrote:I'm veroboarding it tonight, along with pimpin' out my Daphon E20DL, so many projects... so little time.
Awesome! Let me know if you run into any issues.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Right we have fuzz!, a fine start, the transistors work in any order... so I need to find out the datasheets (if someone wants to do it for me that'd be nice!) some transistor positions the Fuzz screamed like mad, other positions they were just sorta normal fuzz (thank god for sockets although I hope they don't die, this happened to a fuzz face build before, the transistors worked for weeks the wrong way round and then it just stopped working properly... funny world electronics)

The input pot didn't do anything at first... then the solid core wire snapped off (this build was reallyy quickly and badly put together with a nasty hangover lingering from earlier, just to test the layout) so I dunno if it's the layouts fault, the transistors orientations or if it needs moving (which I think it might so the input cap is infront of it... or perhaps it needs grounding, have to try tommorow when I resolder it, but for now, that layout works! wether i've somehow made my own schematic that fuzzes, well thats a differen't story as I didn't get far enough to find out if it sounded like the Aenima.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Right I think I see where the schematic confused me and I went wrong, I think the Input caps and pot need re shuffle I put them after where they should be before... Can anyone else chip in on my vero layout?

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

i ma take a shot at this build.... I found this..

"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Hmm I thought I already posted up the corrected layout, think that the forum update may have removed it though, here it is though ala Frequency Centrals help.

I have the build downstairs, it isn't working yet but I had fuzz before I moved the input components around so I think it's just a loose connection somewhere...

Anyway heres the corrected version.
Attachments
Devi Ever Aenima Should Be Correct.gif

Dr.Pain-MD
Information

Post by Dr.Pain-MD »

Has anyone else got it working yet? I'm planning to do an all out Aenima/TP/US/Neverdrive build soon. Cheers.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

That last vero is now verified! However swap lugs 1 & 3 around at the input (which is your tone pot) And make sure to find the schematic and pin outs for your transistor as this Will work with a variety of transistor orientations but give you different Devi pedals...

With a reshuffle of the output and a bit of close cutting this will also fit into a 1590B or 111x60x30 enclosure, I would alter this but i've lost the DIY file...

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox Valvetronix Series
Completed builds: Super Hard On
Fuzz Factory
Aenima/Torn's Peaker (2 in 1 box with toggle switch)
Valvecaster Deluxe (Boost before VC)
Proco Rat (Mod to power jack, and input cap changed)
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

i'm gonna have a go at a salvage version of this, from whatever components i have lying about (i should have them all... ;) )

I did come across a SPST switch. after reading through this thread, i'm a little confused on whether or not i can use it for that torn's peaker switch mod thing? anyone wanna help me out?

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

im not 100 percent sure but im pretty sure if you did this it would work, again, not sure, but that sure as hell would make sense

btw, the black dots are the points on the pcb, the colors apply to the schem devi posted, and those things on the end are resistors

edit: and doctor molly is it possible that q1-3 are backwards?
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (5 KiB) Viewed 4916 times

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
Fuzz Factory
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

hey teej ;)

i'm having a strange situation with my build, which i think is why i'm getting no output.

i checked mine against scruffie's vero, and it's all spot on. At the last capacitor before output (C7) i'm using my DMM to check for problems. At the emitter of the transistor just before it, the 2N2222, I'm getting a voltage, BUT, on the other side of the transistor, the part that goes to the pot, i'm getting a voltage of 0.

wtf? :scratch:

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

muse message boards not workin for me!

and dr molly, i tried you pcb, i wired it all up and all i got was a very velcro-y type fuzz, i dont know if it was me or the layout.

im almost positive that the transistors 1-3 are backwards, cause on devi's schem e goes to ground, but in your layout c goes to ground...

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

Doctor molly's layout/ pcb confirmed, except remember to flip the two mpsa18's and the one 2n2222 (the one closer to the input). those are all backwards, just as i suspected ;)

thanks alot doc.

sound sample: http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 0&start=45

bottom of that page

Dr. Molly
Information

Post by Dr. Molly »

Hi

Thanks for verifying the layout and I'm sorry for the thing with the transistors. Somehow I always get that wrong! :slap:

Dr Molly

TheAttackman
Information

Post by TheAttackman »

heres a verson of the pcb with mounted pots.

the transitors are just in the right spot
not direction....
Attachments
aenima pcb.gif
aenima pcb.gif (2.86 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
ae tp us nd.gif
ae tp us nd.gif (11.09 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
Last edited by TheAttackman on 30 Jul 2009, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

trad3mark wrote:hey teej ;)

i'm having a strange situation with my build, which i think is why i'm getting no output.

i checked mine against scruffie's vero, and it's all spot on. At the last capacitor before output (C7) i'm using my DMM to check for problems. At the emitter of the transistor just before it, the 2N2222, I'm getting a voltage, BUT, on the other side of the transistor, the part that goes to the pot, i'm getting a voltage of 0.

wtf? :scratch:
Well i've just noticed something up with my build too which may mean it's not verified, when I switch the 2N2222A the other way round I should get the Never Drive or the Aenima either way... but I don't... only get fuzz with the 2N2222As in one direction :hmmm:

trad3mark
Resistor Ronker
Information
Fuzz Factory
87% PillowStone
87% GlassJaw

Post by trad3mark »

having another go at this, seeing as how i've been debuging a big muff for 2 weeks (gave up, i'm buying one in 3 weeks anyway). Any ideas how i'd wire a dpdt to switch back and forth between the Aenima/Torn's Peaker mod? Last time i tried with a spdt, i failed.

stanimal08
Information

Post by stanimal08 »

Skarrgus wrote:Here you go...

I'm not sure which of the unused solder pads are connected to the spst for "chaos", but I'm guessing between R7 and C1.

Hey Skarrgus, I just built an Aenima using the above layout you posted.... drew it freehand on copper board with a sharpie (heard this rumor that it would work and it did actually) but needed Devi's schematic to really figure it out....

here are the details of the adjustments if you want to make changes to a now verified layout...

Q2, Q3 need to be flipped (MPSA18's)

for the second pot (i used a B100K) Lug 1 goes to Ground, Lug 2 to your OUTPUT and Lug 3 connects to the Switch at output, acts as a volume type control

here's where the fun begins, i took an SPST switch and would play around with various oscillation points... TOTALLY COOL and lots of fun to find one you like (there are a few on this somewhat small circuit)... i settled for putting one wire on the solder point of the base of Q4 and the second wire to the output solder joint for what i consider a screaming (literally) oscillating fuzz that gives the fuzz factory a run for it's money....

regardless, i am a new HUGE fan of Devi Ever pedals, people might call them garbage but this is delving into a new arena of sonic power and i am all for it, cannot wait to have enough money to buy the real thing....

thanks for the leg work on this Skarrgus!

Underhill
Information

Post by Underhill »

stanimal08 wrote:
Skarrgus wrote: here's where the fun begins, i took an SPST switch and would play around with various oscillation points... TOTALLY COOL and lots of fun to find one you like (there are a few on this somewhat small circuit)... i settled for putting one wire on the solder point of the base of Q4 and the second wire to the output solder joint for what i consider a screaming (literally) oscillating fuzz that gives the fuzz factory a run for it's money....
I went ahead and built some versions on vero from the schematic at the ilovefuzz devi forum.

I had wonderful (- if screaming, dying cattle can be regarded as wonderful) results with putting a single diode in series with the feedback loop. lot's of added texture and weird glitchy ocave up-down arpegiating nonsense decaying into stuttering. I used 1n4001's and 1n4148's. also a couple of them in paralel give different results. Also try experimenting with the polarity of the diode...

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ieatyouforbreakfast »

any idea on how to tame the high end a bit on the torn's peaker?

Motter
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Motter »

I noticed a few issues with the layout posted above by TheAttackMan (e.g., the signal is grounded at C3 and C4, standing resistors, etc.), so I redid it a bit and built one yesterday on perfboard (so my layout is verified). I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else could benefit from it:

I do have a bit of high-pitched oscillation on mine, particularly when the texture pot is all the way down (least amount of bass). I was thinking about putting a small pf cap somewhere near the output, but I'm not sure if I should just send it to ground or put it in the feedback loop of the last transistor. I don't have much experience with this, so I'm wondering what the fine folks on this board would suggest.