Diamond - Compressor [new gut shots added]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
pedalnut
Information

Post by pedalnut »

any schematic or discussion about the diamond compressor?
they say its based on a LA2, i mean okay it could be opto...but tubes?

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

i think what makes the special characteristic of the la-2a is the optical element which is almost impossible to clone and very hard to get as an original or spare.

anyway, the insides of the pedal look very nice (there´s a pic on the manufacturer´s page). which vactrol they use is obscured by the graphics, though. looks like it might be VTL5C3, the opamp seems to be an OPA275 if my eyes are not mistaken.

cheers,
lowstar

95strat
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 95strat »

I've heard good things about the diamond. Folks are saying it preserves the initial attack and less squishy than the Keeley.

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

Courtesy of a gentleman at HCFX who took these at my request, if he requests that I take them down I will do so.

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

yay for the gutshots !

cheers,
lohstah

gtrplaya101
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gtrplaya101 »

I would love this layout!!!!!

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

There is certainly a chance to get a reverse of this. Would need some more pictures though - some nice high resolution ones and there are plenty here that will be able to help!

I am Klon.

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

I was honestly quite surprised that he was willing to take these, I can contact him to see if he'll take a higher-res picture of the side with actual components on it but there's a pretty good chance this is the best that I can provide. Anything I can do to these to try to make them better with photo editing tools?

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

Agreed wrote:I was honestly quite surprised that he was willing to take these, I can contact him to see if he'll take a higher-res picture of the side with actual components on it but there's a pretty good chance this is the best that I can provide. Anything I can do to these to try to make them better with photo editing tools?
this is going to be a harder reverse due to the dual side trace. The back side is sufficient, but the front component side needs better high resolution. A schematic can be put together but the values would still need to be known. Until then, probably pretty far away.

btw, i really like the layout of this pedal.

Agreed
Information

Post by Agreed »

Yeah, me too - looks like excellent work on the designers' part. I'm going to buy one of these in the coming month or so, expect good pics when I do. I've heard nothing but praise for this compressor's effect on the sound.

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

*bump*

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

that looks like a really nicely put together box. i know this has all been hashed over before, but i really like the ideal of board mounted LED and pots, and everything else offboard. it makes repairs easier, and less tweaking of the board as well. not to mention that the layout just looks good, and the soldering looks very professional. i'm impressed!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

One acoustic player I know really likes this circuit. I'd love to know what makes it tick.

pandadandan
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pandadandan »

Brink wrote:One acoustic player I know really likes this circuit. I'd love to know what makes it tick.
Oscillator bleed? :lol:

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Here is a great demo video - even if the guy does seem a bit of a trekky -
I WANT ONE OF THESE BOXES! So much!

I am Klon.

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

[smilie=bump.gif]

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

i want this also any updates???

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

If you want it so much you should buy it.

As soon as there is an update, it will be posted. I think that's the way this works.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

Fuzzer wrote:If you want it so much you should buy it.

As soon as there is an update, it will be posted. I think that's the way this works.
yeah i know but the problem is there are no stores here in my country that sells diamond pedals... if ill buy online it will cost almost double shipping it here and other expenses... so might as well wait for a Schematic

jessej
Information

Post by jessej »

wow. that sounds really good. must... have.... diamond...

Has anyone compared the Diamond gutshot to the "Baja LA2A Style Optical Limiter" schematics?

I use the Bomb Factory LA-2A in plugin format on vocals in ProTools often (also love the 1176) and it does work on acoustic guitars very well, but this
is all done in post processing... It would be great to have an analog unit to put before the guitar amp, seems to work like magic.

I guess the vactrol is where most of the magic mojo happens, I understand that the Teletronics LA-2A uses/used a cadmium sulphide-based vactrol
that made the release time very special... but as far as I'm concerned, that sounds like a food preservative to me. :D

I see Diamondpedals has more gutshots here: http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html

Edit: I guess if this would turn into a DIY+mods project, perhaps the wiser should also have a look at the CL-1B compressor as it is also
considered to have the same awesomeness factor as the LA-2A.