Shin-ei - FY-2

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Caillan
Information

Post by Caillan »

Hello all,

I am working on building a Shin-ei FY-2 clone (based on the uzzfay page here), but I'm having the commonly reported problem of volume loss, has anybody found a way to fix this while keeping the tone as similar as possible??

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Stick a booster after it as done here:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/ind ... &Itemid=26

The schematic there will show you a one transistor clean boost tacked onto the end of the circuit. I've had this on my breadboard messing with other things and found that a boost before the circuit adds undesirable color to the sound. I've yet to get back to the breadboard to put one behind it to observe it, firsthand. I would recommend the Mark Hammer scoop lift pot mod, though: Image

It gives you more variation in a circuit that has almost none, standard. I also used BC141 metal can transistors; they sound much more growly than a BC550 sort of transistor. I don't have any of the original types, but I would have to guess they just used a generic medium gain japanese transistor that was readily available at the time. I've got a few other things to try as well.

Caillan
Information

Post by Caillan »

Excellent, thank you so much I shall have a play with this circuit and see what I come up with!! :D

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

Anytime. Enjoy!

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Arrr

The way the "fuzz" knob is wired drives me nuts for some reason. I keep wanting to see it with the .0022uf wired to lug 1, output to lug 2 and .0033uf from q2's collector wired to lug 3. Like a Fuzzrite.

--Brad

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Solidhex wrote:Arrr

The way the "fuzz" knob is wired drives me nuts for some reason.
Me too!

Fix it and ditch the filter section = loud grainy happiness.

Sigh, but then it's not an FY-2.
Dick joke has expired.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

How sound this pedal ?

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

The output boost from the GGG project works well also. That's what I used on the one I built.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... sc_bst.pdf

Low gain transistors sound best in the circuit.

How does a FY-2 sound? Not my cup of beer but some people really dig it.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

timhulio
Information

Post by timhulio »

Here's the one I've just built. It uses an LPB-1 derivate to boost the output. I used 2N3904s in this, which sound good enough (this pedal does sound awful).

THE_SCORPION
Information

Post by THE_SCORPION »

If you want to hear one in action, listen to Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy Album

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

I made on the last week, god ! that sounds like a cold shit. I'm really disapointed about that, I would a real cool fuzz and I had that.
If you want to hear one in action, listen to Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy Album
Yeah after I've made mine, I go listen to some Jesus and Mary chain's songs, that's absolutely that sound.

timhulio
Information

Post by timhulio »

Yeah I always try to pass-on the "it doesn't sound that great" proviso with this pedal. I actually found a setting on the Boss FZ-2 that nails this effect pretty well. However that's not a great sounding pedal either.

Thaxt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Thaxt »

You can always use the AMZ mod of a 10-50K/L pot between ground & the midscoop section. That way you can vary this fuzz's scooptones with more midrangey-ness.

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

THE_SCORPION wrote:If you want to hear one in action, listen to Jesus and Mary Chain's Psychocandy Album
you'll have to be more specific :)
they used the FY-2 on some tracks and the FY-6 (Fuzz-wah) on others
'Just like Honey' is a good example of FY-2 action
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Companion Psychedelic Machine
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

Thaxt wrote:You can always use the AMZ mod of a 10-50K/L pot between ground & the midscoop section. That way you can vary this fuzz's scooptones with more midrangey-ness.
if you want ultimate control, sub a 50K and 100K pot respectively for the 10K & 15K in the scoop.

btw, I was over a friend's yesterday and he told me his favorite fuzz was a Kimbara Fuzz

Is it exactly the same as the FY-2, just rebranded?

Thaxt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Thaxt »

On the midscoop section, try doubling the value of the .001uf cap by putting a 2nd one in parallel to it, bringing things up to .002uf. This should give more heft & body to the resulting fuzz.

Then, reverse the positions of the 10K & 15K resistors on this tone shaping area, placing the 15K resistor closer to the output stream of the circuit. The 10K will now be on the opposite side of the midscoop. Makes a diff as far as I can hear.

Tweaking the values of any of the major midscoops - the FY-6, the Univox Superuzz, the Bee Baa, & some of the newer circuits on the net that are variations on these, the results can be startlingly good.

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Mosrite Fuzzrite (Si), Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge)[2], Get Lo-Fi Fuzz, Fuzz Face (Ge) [2], Fuzz Face (Si) [3], Mos-Face, Vox Tone Bender, Kay Tremolo, Os Mutantes Fuzz [2], Psychedelic Fuzz, Smokey Amp, Sunn Buzz, Jen Fuzz, Fancy Fuzzbox, Muff Fuzz (op amp) [2], Buzz Box, Fuzz King, Rangemaster [5], Maestro FZ - 2/3, Ruby Amp, Orpheum Fuzz (Ge) [4], Great Destroyer, Schizo, Carlsbro Suzz, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (si), DOD 250 Gray [2], Super Dirt Fuzz, Fuzz Factory, Jordan Boss Tone, Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx, Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz, Olson New Sound Fuzz, LRE Fuzz Sound, Green Ringer, Vox Super Beatle (Ge), Colorsound One Knob (Ge), Demon Buzzz [2], Demon Wasp v1, Demon Wasp v2, Super Hard-On, Bazz Fuss, Burns Buzzaround [2], Selmer Buzztone, Shin-Ei Companion Fuzz (Ge), Fuzz Face/FY-2 (Ge), Zonk Machine, Univox Squarewave, Demon Fuzzz, Mosrite Fuzzrite BG-500/1000 (Ge), Univox Superfuzz, Marshall Supa Fuzz, Demon Monster, AA Overdrive/ Retro Fuzz, Tone Bender MKII, Psychtar, Jordan Vica Vibe, etc...

Post by LucifersTrip »

...you can always build the germanium version and get a very loud brutal fuzz right off!

my final version:

have a blast

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

CooL!

Didn't even know there was a germanium version of this....... is it as buzzy as the silicon version???
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

LucifersTrip
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by LucifersTrip »

Bernardduur wrote:CooL!

Didn't even know there was a germanium version of this....... is it as buzzy as the silicon version???
I honestly never considered the si version buzzy, especially with that midscoop...but no, it doesn't sound like that. The ge version is a Fuzz Face variant that sounds nothing like a FF.

It is 10 times as loud as the si version, dirty, mean, & fuzzy...closer to a fuzzrite. It's also one of the easiest fuzzes to get to sound killer and you don't even need high gain ge's

You can easily mod a FF to sound similar...it will sound nothing like a FF.

JustinFun
Information

Post by JustinFun »

LucifersTrip wrote: It is 10 times as loud as the si version, dirty, mean, & fuzzy...closer to a fuzzrite. It's also one of the easiest fuzzes to get to sound killer and you don't even need high gain ge's
I can vouch for this - breadboarded it over the weekend and spent a happy couple of hours plonking practically every germanium transistor I own into it - I even got good sounds with a GT108v with an hfe of 24(!) in Q2. Best results were around 70, though.

I had nothing better to do as we were snowed in without electricity or heating for most of sunday...