Report Forum Problems and Make Forum Wishes Here...

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Ben N wrote:Yup, shit's gone--as if it was never there at all. Was it all just a bad dream?
Looks like Modman was here and designed Mr. Dirk Hendrik in charge to cleanup this kinf of spam.

masonsjax
Information

Post by masonsjax »

marshmellow wrote:Considering your long post history... you think your judgment is well placed?
Hah! Yes I'm new to this forum... but not to the internet! No personal offense intended to anyone, just not a great first impression as I'm sure you can imagine. Here's to better days ahead :P

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

masonsjax wrote:Is there seriously only one mod for this forum? How has a single user been allowed to dominate this site for this long? Unbelievable.
Because nobody else had the balls to face:
-DCMA complaints
-pissing off every garage soldier jockey, while you could be rubbing shoulders with the greats...
-paying for hosting without getting anything back

All moderators were dismissed at one point to equal out the field. I am convinced that moderators should not participate in discussions, or use a different user. Yes, the forum could do with some updates and overhauls... but I have neither the time, nor the inclination to make freestompboxes more attractive. I don't know what could be done to present the information to the public in a better way and still make it open to discussion.

Still I think there is nothing to moderate: I don't want a forum dominated by ego's with special privileges... only the argument counts. That partly why I also started refraining from participating in discussions.

In the same way that science is never conclusive, discussion is never done and no schematic is final. It's always possible that another unit shows up with a few components different. There is a facebook freestompboxes.org and it's incredible how many people sign up expecting build information on facebook, or even debugging. That is not the place to do that. Google your question, read forums...it's the only way.

I saw Wampler's youtube channel once... where do you think he gets all his content and attitude towards pedals from? I think a large part of his business is thanks to the relaxed attitude he displays in these vlogs come from the early freestompboxes.org days. I'm sure he's here. He started as a DIY-er and did great (still don't understand how he did it)...

People really did and still do build businesses off freestompboxes.org -- and then the pedal builders will yell to me "but you built a business off our original products". This is not the case: we had some google and Ebay ads one time to pay for hosting fees, but I did away with that. Once FSB because something commercial, it may become worth while to sue us. As long as we have no money coming from commercial activities, we are safe as cherry pie.

Any weakness is a strength and vice versa.

But spambots are a problem: if you see spambots, you know the forum is dead. I temporarily assigned mod rights to Dirk, but will try and find a way to spread these privileges to more of the regular visitors.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

A big thanks for doing a great job modman :wink:
freestompboxes.org will always be my chosen forum - cannot remember the last time i visited the "other" forum - :lol:
All the best and keep on doing what you are doing.
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

bajaman wrote:A big thanks for doing a great job modman :wink:
freestompboxes.org will always be my chosen forum - cannot remember the last time i visited the "other" forum - :lol:
All the best and keep on doing what you are doing.
cheers
bajaman
+1

I was searching for information on Music Man preamps back in 2010 and found bajaman's thread on them. I joined up that day and have visited almost daily since.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

modman wrote:I temporarily assigned mod rights to Dirk.
Let me say that Dirk Hendrik keep the forum exceptionally clean during this first week.

Congratulations !!!! :applause:

Jose

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

hi plush,
thanks, and btw, I empowered you to one click ban user yourself. Use the force wisely ;-)
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

modman wrote:
hi plush,
thanks, and btw, I empowered you to one click ban user yourself. Use the force wisely ;-)
:horsey:

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

September 23, 2019.

Spam bot massacre near Freestompboxes Square.
15 or more killed, 0 injured, no civil casualties as for now.
Active hostilities continue in the area.

[smilie=rlp_smilie_312.gif]

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

plush wrote:September 23, 2019.

Spam bot massacre near Freestompboxes Square.
15 or more killed, 0 injured, no civil casualties as for now.
Active hostilities continue in the area.

[smilie=rlp_smilie_312.gif]
Great work.
Found two more that spoke Spambotian ("Thank you for the information") - no mercy!

Andy2No
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Andy2No »

I haven't been getting reply notifications - a common problem on forums.

I did get notified of a thanks, by modman (thanks for the thank :)) so that may be the best current way to get a reply to your post - thank the person you want a reply from, with the thanking thumb button.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Andy2No wrote:I haven't been getting reply notifications - a common problem on forums.

I did get notified of a thanks, by modman (thanks for the thank :)) so that may be the best current way to get a reply to your post - thank the person you want a reply from, with the thanking thumb button.
Thanks for the message, I will be looking into this. You are probably aware that you can manage these settings from the User Control Panel.
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.36.36.png

Andy2No
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Andy2No »

modman wrote:
Andy2No wrote:You are probably aware that you can manage these settings from the User Control Panel.
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 12.36.36.png
I am, yes. The problem with that is, that I can never work out where those settings are - there are so many different tabs.

I even had trouble finding the User Control panel, because I don't use it very often - I accidentally logged myself out instead :)

:whappen:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

It on the top left, which is not so logical.
ucp.php

However, with the upcoming update this will change to the new phpbb 3.3.0 layout. This project is ongoing, but after some thorough testing it seems our current server is simply not fast enough to run the new software efficiently. So we will be rehosting too... stay tuned!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 13.34.08.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 13.34.08.png (72.21 KiB) Viewed 40599 times

x-tn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by x-tn »

Just saw this:
"[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]"
viewtopic.php?p=275759#p275759

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

x-tn wrote: 10 May 2020, 17:18 Just saw this:
"[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]"
viewtopic.php?p=275759#p275759
Great call! bmp as image extension added... thanks

Ichabod_Crane
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ichabod_Crane »

Great update!
I got one odd thing. I have a 1 next the Private Message button, but I have no new message. My last one was in April.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Very minor point. What happened to the logo in the page header (the hand grasping a soldering iron), I'm pretty sure it was there yesterday but today it has been replaced by "phpBB"

Edit - I love the new look and it is certainly faster, great job Modman and Gabriel.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012