Wampler - Triple Wreck  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

Although this is insufficient material to trace from,it is all I could find...

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

Interesting that the LM386 spot on the board is vacant. What is the source of the photo - do you know?

I'd think that that chip would be how the pedal is capable of the loose and fuzzy tones.

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

MoonWatcher wrote:Interesting that the LM386 spot on the board is vacant. What is the source of the photo - do you know?

I'd think that that chip would be how the pedal is capable of the loose and fuzzy tones.
I think adding the right capacitor to a JFET's source pin could also produce those fuzzy tones...

quaternotetriplet
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by quaternotetriplet »

im interested on this one.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

quaternotetriplet wrote:im interested on this one.
Definitely. I had one of these units a year or so ago and it was quite fantastic, not sure why I got rid of it. Wouldn't mind fiddling around with this one.

Sikor
Information

Post by Sikor »

I have Triple Recstortion (which is Triple Wreck is based on)
and can do a photo of the guts if You guys are interested :)
Practice cures most tone issues - John Suhr
--
My Musikmesse 2012 gallery and more...

fuzzmax
Information

Post by fuzzmax »

totally!! :D and if you appear to have a plextortion or super plextortion, that would be awesome too!!

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

I also am very interested in this one. Would love to build this, so if anyone can make a schematic, thanks in advance! I think I read this was similar to the op amp Big Muff?

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

DahakaNishoba,
The Pinnacle project is here:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=8428

I have built this using a BSIAB2 pcb, and changing the values in the greyed areas (on the schematic). And than adding the large greyed out area at the end on a seperate pcb.

DahakaNishoba
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DahakaNishoba »

Ye ye already have all files for the pinnacle...
Just asking for personal experiences for both on a fat strat
Love the sobd of the pinnacle but the triple looks way more usable in a lot of ways
The way electronics work in a stompbox is like the way pixels move in a videogame
it's Magic, in Technology

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

I'll save ya some trouble.
All IC based except for the boost stage, which is a npn boost into a big muff style control (cream/crunch). The boost hit's the front end of the distortion circuit.

input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output

jimini
Information

Post by jimini »

Thanks for the info

Now at least I know why I play your pedal every day(well,almost)

The guvnor was on my pedalboard too,some time ago.

Greets

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Thanks for the info Brian! Did you use a 386 in this project? The picture shows a empty spot where one would go? Curious where the NPN boost goes in your explained stages (input - buffer - 1st gain stage....)?
Thanks
Rob

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

caspercody wrote:Thanks for the info Brian! Did you use a 386 in this project? The picture shows a empty spot where one would go? Curious where the NPN boost goes in your explained stages (input - buffer - 1st gain stage....)?
Thanks
Rob
I know someone who got one early on, and IIRC, his had the 386 installed. Putting it just about anywhere other than the tail end of the circuit does not seem to make sense, IMO. Remember that it was designed to be a power amp.

It wouldn't make much sense to put a tranny boost prior to the input buffer.

Since it's a double sided board, you can only trace what that side reveals from the photo. I don't recall the pinout of the 386, as I've never had much luck with using them (maybe that's why Brian didn't mention it - perhaps he no longer uses it in newer ones?).

Between the traces that we can see and the values of the resistors connecting the pins and leads of the op amps and trannies, you could probably work up a basic circuit based on the combination of traditional circuit elements that Brian provided. From there, it might make more sense just to "bridge the gaps" to taste, until someone want to provide more photos of their TW. IMO, cascaded op amp designs with multiple filterings (passive Muff blender/Baxandall/twin T/LP "tail end rolloff") really come down to preference - just gander at all of the mods for the MT-2.

...And we can see the clipping diodes, so it would be pretty straightforward to determine which ones are shunted to ground and which are in a TS style neg FB loop.

Just some things to do until we get more pics, unless Brian wants to offer more details.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

indyguitarist wrote:input - buffer - 1st gain stage similar to guv'nor - inverting gain stage - diodes to ground - non inverting gain stage with diode soft clipping - baxandall - non inverting gain stage - twin t filter - inverting gain stage - LP filter on toggle - output
Sweet jesus! That's like half of all possible dirt box tricks in one circuit! :lol:

Sikor
Information

Post by Sikor »

I now, I am late, but could do photo earlier :slap:

Here is my Triple Recstortion:

--

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

What happened to the tranny boost that Brian mentioned? Is this a stripped down model (didn't know there was one)?

Those resistors look pretty clear in the photos - might be able to tell what is what just by making a list of their values and their proximity to the different op amps. For instance, the inverting stages are going to be more sparse. The initial stage will probably look very similar to what you have in a Guv'nor.

I'm guessing that all of the bigger caps are 1uF that are probably on the output of some of the op amp stages. If they are used as a HP filter, they will probably be connected to a small resistor to keep the HP adequately high. For instance, look for the semi-standard MT-2 type setup of something like 1uF/470R.

Twin T filters and Baxandall stuff typically "give themselves away" with groupings of resistors and caps that are duplicated, or "doubled and halved". Look at some generic examples to see what I mean.

If those photos could be labeled with cap values, that would provide a lot of answers as well, that would not require pulling the PCB out, most likely.

Edited to add: I can barely make out some cap values of 560pF, 470pF, etc. - those will almost always be in the neg feedback loops to bleed off some excessive top end, so they will give clues as well.

hewie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hewie »

MoonWatcher wrote:What happened to the tranny boost that Brian mentioned? Is this a stripped down model (didn't know there was one)?
The photo posted is of the Triple Recstortion, which was the earlier limited release version, before the improved Triple Wreck.

Sikor
Information

Post by Sikor »

caspercody wrote:Thanks for the picture. Anyway to get one of the other side??
caspercody wrote:Actually, a picture of both pedals trace side what be great??!!

Thanks
Rob
Sure it will be great, but I don't think I can flip the board without desoldering, so it's not gonna happen :(
--

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

hewie wrote:
MoonWatcher wrote:What happened to the tranny boost that Brian mentioned? Is this a stripped down model (didn't know there was one)?
The photo posted is of the Triple Recstortion, which was the earlier limited release version, before the improved Triple Wreck.
:slap:

That shows you how much I keep up with some of these newer pedals. The single 3PDT should have been an instant clue.