Emma - PisdiYAUwot?

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
doctord02
Information

Post by doctord02 »

as high gain pedals that sound pretty 'amp-like' go, this is a better than average example. Anyone have any ideas what this circuit is? Of course, it's gooped, but I find it interesting that its a relatively small area that the goop obscures. In the promo video on the Emma website for this pedal, you can briefly see one getting assembled, and it appears to a really low parts count... a few SMD components and it looks like a single 8 pin DIP ic and a single can style transistor or similar package component...

I cant degoop this one, but thought I'd share what I could to get the conversation started... these are fairly high rez, but dont tell very much... there are a few SMD components under the gain knob, but I couldnt get them in focus/lit.
p_topside.jpg
p_underside.jpg

andrewkirsanow
Information

Post by andrewkirsanow »

Just watched the video in your link and sure enough, that's a nice sounding pedal!! Definitely couldn't afford that sort of price though!! It's hugely expensive for a handfull of components, some pots and a case!!!!

Would seriously love to clone it though!!! Anyone got any ideas what the circuit is???? And, what's with the name??? Is that supposed to mean something?

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Gut shots get to go in the circuit analysis section. :thumbsup
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

kusi
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kusi »

bha, this goop is soooo laborious to remove.... ;)
degooping the reeza was pure pain.

regards kusi

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Hi,

please do it! Degoop this beast! I realy love that Emma stuff - in my honest opinion highly underrated Pedals. The do look ugly but sound mostly pretty awesome! The reeza does sound killer!

Helge

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

andrewkirsanow wrote: Would seriously love to clone it though!!! Anyone got any ideas what the circuit is???? And, what's with the name??? Is that supposed to mean something?
Here is the answer:
Watch all the other videos of them. Despite they build good sounding devices the are pretty humourus people. I realy laughed my ass of watching their pedal board assembling video.:D

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

andrewkirsanow wrote:Just watched the video in your link and sure enough, that's a nice sounding pedal!! Definitely couldn't afford that sort of price though!! It's hugely expensive for a handfull of components, some pots and a case!!!!

Would seriously love to clone it though!!! Anyone got any ideas what the circuit is???? And, what's with the name??? Is that supposed to mean something?
Shame on them for charging a reasonable price for their labor and r&d time. Everyone knows you are only supposed to charge customers for the cost of the electronic parts in the circuit.

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Whoismarykelly wrote:
andrewkirsanow wrote:Just watched the video in your link and sure enough, that's a nice sounding pedal!! Definitely couldn't afford that sort of price though!! It's hugely expensive for a handfull of components, some pots and a case!!!!

Shame on them for charging a reasonable price for their labor and r&d time. Everyone knows you are only supposed to charge customers for the cost of the electronic parts in the circuit.
:applause:
Furthermore not to say that living in Denmark ist quite expansive.:D

caspercody
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by caspercody »

Kusi,
Are you degooping one? Would love to know what makes this sound so good.

Thanks in advance!
Rob

kusi
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kusi »

caspercody wrote:Kusi,

Thanks in advance!
Rob
soory no way ;) i will never touch a emma-pedal again to degoop... it was a nightmare with the reezafratzitz ;)

regards, kusi

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

kusi wrote:
caspercody wrote:Kusi,

Thanks in advance!
Rob
soory no way ;) i will never touch a emma-pedal again to degoop... it was a nightmare with the reezafratzitz ;)

regards, kusi

Hm, but at least you've made it -with great success. One thing that comes to my mind: If the most of the capacitors is also in smd its gonna be also a nightmare to desolder and measure them. :cry:

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

666 print on the back of pcb? This thing is satan approved,would'n dare to degoop it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

freq67
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by freq67 »

mrkaploca wrote:666 print on the back of pcb? This thing is satan approved,would'n dare to degoop it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Umm A hole!!! :evil: :roll: It's 999!!..............Get it right! :P

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

freq67 wrote:
mrkaploca wrote:666 print on the back of pcb? This thing is satan approved,would'n dare to degoop it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Umm A hole!!! :evil: :roll: It's 999!!..............Get it right! :P
Bollocks
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

mrpickle
Information

Post by mrpickle »

freq67 wrote:Umm A hole!!! :evil: :roll: It's 999!!..............Get it right! :P
So you reckon the bass clef symbol is upside-down?

A hole.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

Every time this thread gets bumped up I think to myself "yey, some useful information about this interesting effect". Then you guys come along.
You're all A-holes :lol:

BTW, if the goop is too solid maybe radiography can at least give us a hint about the topology.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

freq67
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by freq67 »

mrpickle wrote:
freq67 wrote:Umm A hole!!! :evil: :roll: It's 999!!..............Get it right! :P
So you reckon the bass clef symbol is upside-down?

A hole.
[smilie=a_doh.gif]

doctord02
Information

Post by doctord02 »

FiveseveN wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped up I think to myself "yey, some useful information about this interesting effect". Then you guys come along.
You're all A-holes :lol:

BTW, if the goop is too solid maybe radiography can at least give us a hint about the topology.
Find me an X-Ray technician with some spare time and nobody looking over his/her shoulder...

:thumbsup

doctord02
Information

Post by doctord02 »

By the way, I have a guess... I think it's using cascaded jfets in a DIP-14 package, like a TL084CN quad JFET... so maybe two cascaded jfets, then a different distortion circuit and then two more cascaded jfets...

I'm gonna try and extract a still frame or two from the video of Jan Behncke assembling one... I can see a quick glimpse of a large DIP ic package in the center with several SMD components around it, and I can see the top of a cylindrical package sticking thru the goop... Does any one else recognize that in my top side photo? it looks like it's marked:

i9

8)
Last edited by doctord02 on 03 Dec 2010, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

The cylinder is an SMD electrolytic capacitor. I didn't see any through-hole connections on the back side of the board - you get a good view of that in the video - so I don't think there are any dips on the other side...