Drilling Techniques

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
bencoles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bencoles »

Hi there
can anyone help me! I've just started to make my own pcb's and wonder what size drill bits you all use? HELP im clueless!

:slap:

YuGi
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by YuGi »

0,8 mm for little components like opamps, resistor and capacitors. 1 or 1,5mm for wires :wink:

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

That's fairly easy to work out,I have a small container of drill bits specifically designed for drilling PCBs,they range in sizes(metric) from something like 2mm down to maybe .25mm.... :)

Anything from about .6mm to say .8mm is good for making the holes for resistor leads,capacitor leads,and IC pins,try looking in an electronics parts store,they usually stock PCB drill bits,you might find a set of them... :)

Hope that is of some help.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

PhillyWill
Information
Completed builds: GGG Dist+, Neutron, Tap Tempo Trem

Post by PhillyWill »

I use the #62 bits since that's what came with an amp mod kit a started out with. I did have to get a smaller collett for my Sears Craftsman branded version of the Dremel tool. They're at the upper end of the sizes mentioned previously at 0.97mm.

You can get 'em for a couple bucks: http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PRO ... uge/D-BS02

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

I mainly use 0.8mm for the hookup wiring and components like resistors, caps etc, 1mm for connectors and diodes with thicker leads, 1.2mm for 3PDT switches when they're PCB mounted, and 1.5mm rarely for the odd mains connector or whatever.

And if you don't have one already, you might want to get a drill press! Before I bought one, I'd break those teeny lil drill bits frequently. You may have better hand-eye coordination than me and fare better, but after using a drill press I don't break bits all that often these days (touch wood, although I'm sure I've jinxed myself now... :D ).

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I soooo need to get a drill press myself,oh and also a combined sheet metal shearer/bender/folder too,then I can start making my own pedal cases out of either sheet aluminium,or mild steel,then I won't be so constrained with the diecast aluminium Soanar boxes I normally use for my pedal cases.... :)

Okay,a complete electronics workshop with woodworking and metalworking facilities would be on my ultimate want list.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

bencoles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bencoles »

Thanks for everyones help! Just got a my drill press through the post! Guess what I'm doing today!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Don't be hurry when you make the holes and you'll save a lot of drill bits. Be sure to hold the board in place or the little bit will travel across.
Well etched PCB's help a lot.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Here's a pic of all my PCB Drill bits,for anyone who wants to know what they look like..... :)
Attachments
PCB Drill Bits
PCB Drill Bits

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

a decent question for the FAQ section! I'll move it over there.

oh yeah- try drillbitcity.com. they have great deals on resharpened bits.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

rapmusic
Information

Post by rapmusic »

I noticed that there are plenty of tutorials out there on PCB etching at home, but had a lot of trouble finding detailed advice on actually drilling the boards. So what devices and parts do you use? Where do you get them from? What are your experiences with what you've used?

I recently purchased a Proxxon Micromot 50e, along with the MB 140 stand, and a foot pedal. I use this chuck to hold HSS wire gauge drill bits purchased from widgetsupply.com. The stand is pretty sturdy and stable, but the pedal looks and feels a little cheap. The tool itself works just fine, but the bit seems to draw circles around the motor's axis instead of spinning on it, but this is probably the fault of the chuck. It isn't a problem if you just lower the bit to your target before activating the drill. The HSS bits went through the FR4 with no trouble at all.

I feel like I did okay, considering my budget and the fact that this is just a hobby, but I feel like I could have done better. What do you guys use?

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

I use a dremel with a drill press attachment. Similar to this (but much older):

“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

lyngaaskhan
Information

Post by lyngaaskhan »

I just built this. About $12 in materials from Home Depot and a $19.00 rotary tool from Harbor Freight I bought a while back.

Simple, cheap, and it gets the job done without breaking the bits. I broke a lot of bits drilling by hand.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

PokeyPete wrote:I use a dremel with a drill press attachment. Similar to this (but much older):

+1.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

lyngaaskhan wrote:I just built this. About $12 in materials from Home Depot and a $19.00 rotary tool from Harbor Freight I bought a while back.

Simple, cheap, and it gets the job done without breaking the bits. I broke a lot of bits drilling by hand.
:D Genius! I like how you've designed it so that the angle of the rotary tool stays vertical as it's pressed down. I should get around to getting a drill press for my Dremel knock-off. I use my medium sized regular drill press for PCB work, but it does the job.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

lyngaaskhan wrote:I just built this. About $12 in materials from Home Depot and a $19.00 rotary tool from Harbor Freight I bought a while back.

Dude, that is real DIY. Kudos!

DaveKerr
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg M-15
Dynacord Preference 500
Completed builds: Fuzz Face (2)
Tonebender MKII (3)
ROG Tri-Vibe
PAiA Ring Mod kit
Ring Mod based on Tim E schematic (2)
Rangemaster
CNO
ROG Splitter-Blender
Clari (Not) cubed deluxe

Post by DaveKerr »

I've got a used cheapo Sears benchtop drill press that I use. I've found that if I use double-stick tape to attach the board to a scrap piece of MDF it makes it easier to place the board under the bit.
... multiple LFO waveforms (saw up, saw down, triangle, square); a more flexible envelope with attack/release controls as well as inverted envelope. I am afraid it will have more knobs than the TGP annual convention - frequencycentral

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

Awesome DIY press.
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

dbeeson
Information

Post by dbeeson »

I've read in some threads that a drill press doesn't spin fast enough, but I use a cheap one and it works really well.

rapmusic
Information

Post by rapmusic »

That wooden stand is so clever and practical looking that I just want to smash my setup with a hammer.
Where do you guys get the small chucks from? Mine has a long shank and is inserted into chuck that came with the drill, so it just ends up being crooked as hell. If I were using carbide bits, they would probably snap every single time. Or is it more common to use drill bits with a "fat shank" for a regular chuck? I can't seem to find those either.