Drilling Techniques

Frequently asked question on the subject of designing, creating, producing printed boards, veroboards or perfboads and on point-to-point construction techniques.
PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

rapmusic wrote:That wooden stand is so clever and practical looking that I just want to smash my setup with a hammer.
Where do you guys get the small chucks from? Mine has a long shank and is inserted into chuck that came with the drill, so it just ends up being crooked as hell. If I were using carbide bits, they would probably snap every single time. Or is it more common to use drill bits with a "fat shank" for a regular chuck? I can't seem to find those either.
Dremel and other rotary tools come with small chucks installed. They use collets very much like the one you have pictured.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

Hi guys,

One of the guys in my college class just said the "proper way to drill" was to...

drill halfway through,
Turn over and line up exactly then drill through the rest of the way from the other side.

He said this gives the cleanest finish as the drill doesn't burst through the other side. Said its the proper way to drill etc.

Does anyone else agree with me that that's the stupidest thing they've ever heard? It might be applicable to wood working to avoid splintering but as far as PCBs or metal i think that is a total waste of time!

Drill straight through, then use a bigger drill bit to de-burr the other side. sorted.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Well, why would you want the inside of your enclosure to be neat? ;)
Testing, testing, won too fwee

CRBMoA
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CRBMoA »

I kinda hate it when my BEASTMASTER Ryobi decimates my enclosure with pounding whiny thunder of 12V, bursting through the frail walls of my enclosure, sending lethal shards of aluminum death.............

No. You're right. It's stupid.
atreidesheir wrote: Let's build some damned pedals!

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DeanM »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Well, why would you want the inside of your enclosure to be neat? ;)
So the jacks and stuff fit flush! Although i'm guessing thats sarcasm!

He wasn't talking specifically enclosures tho. think he meant literally anything! metals and PCBs etc.I was going to bring him an enclosure and ask how the fuck he'd fit a drill inside to drill the side of the enclosure! lol

he said its the proper way to drill stuff but people don't do it because its hard to get the accuracy right. I then pointed out that milling machines have precision accuracy and they dont do it! :slap:
CRBMoA wrote:I kinda hate it when my BEASTMASTER Ryobi decimates my enclosure with pounding whiny thunder of 12V, bursting through the frail walls of my enclosure, sending lethal shards of aluminum death.............

No. You're right. It's stupid.
:applause:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I can't think of anything less important in a build. In fact any importance given to the "cleanest finish" would be totally outweighed by the potential Channel Tunnel effect which would mean burrs could still result unless both sides matched up precisely in position and angle. And seeing as you can clean up any burrs easily and neatly by twisting an oversized bit by hand makes it time better spent doing something else for me.

So another +1 on stupid.
Last edited by IvIark on 10 Mar 2011, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

DeanM wrote:Hi guys,

One of the guys in my college class just said the "proper way to drill" was to...

drill halfway through,
Turn over and line up exactly then drill through the rest of the way from the other side.

He said this gives the cleanest finish as the drill doesn't burst through the other side. Said its the proper way to drill etc.

Does anyone else agree with me that that's the stupidest thing they've ever heard? It might be applicable to wood working to avoid splintering but as far as PCBs or metal i think that is a total waste of time!

Drill straight through, then use a bigger drill bit to de-burr the other side. sorted.
Yes I agree it's dumb.
If it was the 'proper' way to drill they'd teach machinists to do that.. and they don't.

If you're drilling thick material, there's no way you'd get the holes to meet properly.. and on thin material it's much more likely to grab if it's partly drilled from the other side.
But the main thing is there's no reason to do it.
If the part is held properly and you reduce the pressure as the drill breaks through you'll have a neat hole on both sides that just needs to be deburred.

Again, the best tool for enclosures IMO is a stepped drill.. and it can deburr and lightly chamfer the top side at the same time as it drills.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

maybe he drills a lot of aluminum 2x4s.

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

IvIark wrote: And seeing as you can clean up any burrs easily and neatly by twisting an oversized bit by hand makes it time better spent doing something else for me.
Man ... where were you when I was drilling the 100 holes in my last amp build? I hand filed every single one. :x
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DeanM »

Thanks guys for proving that common sense can prevail! lol It still baffles me how he doesn't realise how stupid that sounded! almost as stupid as when i was asked "how can that blow the fuse? its nowhere near the fuse!" by a classmate who couldn't debug his own board.
Greenmachine wrote:
IvIark wrote: And seeing as you can clean up any burrs easily and neatly by twisting an oversized bit by hand makes it time better spent doing something else for me.
Man ... where were you when I was drilling the 100 holes in my last amp build? I hand filed every single one. :x
lol dude! I hand filed the tube socket holes and power plug hole on my two diy tube amps but thats about it. even those few were a pain! actually, i had a stepped drill that went to 20mm but the socket holes needed to be 21.5 or 22mm or something like that. so on my first amp to get the extra millimeter or two i put a small diameter round file into a drill. holding the chassis, putting the drill with file into the hole, applied power and then circled the drill around the circumference of the hole while the file was spinning and applying a little pressure agains the chassis i pretty much filed the diameter from 20mm outward using a drill!

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

Now that's an operation I've never heard of. I had to do something similar because my Greenlee punches were a wee bit small for the octal sockets - I got a workout there. Probably pissed the neighbors off too with the unholy sound of file on sheet metal. I wore ear protection.
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Greenmachine wrote:Now that's an operation I've never heard of. I had to do something similar because my Greenlee punches were a wee bit small for the octal sockets - I got a workout there. Probably pissed the neighbors off too with the unholy sound of file on sheet metal. I wore ear protection.
I either use the right Q-Max cutter for the job, or open the hole out by hand with a tapered reamer. The reamer can also be used to de-burr holes after they're drilled.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

+1 for stepped drill, easy and clean!

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi chaps,
Hint ; Google *Bradpoint Drill Bit* (images)
Oh and you do use a wood block behind the sheet,, Don't you?
Will make for much cleaner cuts and helps the strees on the bit as it breaks through. 8)
Cheers, Phil.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I guess it really doesn't matter which method, or technique you use to drill a hole in any material, the end result will always be the same....a hole in the material.... :)
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

my roommate is a machinist and he would never do that. once you remove it from the vise i will never be true again (meaning lined up).

A true machinist would use a center/starter bit, then drill straight through using one bit, going slowly a the proper speed for the metal. for larger bits they might step between an intermediate size. At the end they use a deburring tool to smooth the edges.

Clean, sharp bits will insure you have a nice straight hole.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Everyone here needs a "Tapered Reamer", by the sound of it.

Best £4 I ever spent.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

DrNomis wrote:I guess it really doesn't matter which method, or technique you use to drill a hole in any material, the end result will always be the same....a hole in the wrong place.... :x
fixed.. to reflect my regular situation
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

CRBMoA
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CRBMoA »

Continuing with rocklander's theme.........................

DrNomis wrote:I guess it really doesn't matter which method, or technique you use to drill a hole in any material, the end result will always be the same....a hole exactly one gauge larger than I intended in the material.... :)
atreidesheir wrote: Let's build some damned pedals!

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

I use:

- a center punch on a properly marked up box (I like to use a small right angle measure and a fine point Sharpie).

- a "tabletop" drill press - they don't cost a lot, don't need a lot of room, and are "semi-portable."

- a small pilot hole, just to ensure that it's dead nuts lined up.

- a pair of step bits - one is for the pot and LED holes, the other is for the D.C. jack, in and out jacks, and footswitch jack.

- a tapered reamer to catch any burrs that get past a hasty pass of the step bits, or to take the any finish off the jack holes for a decent ground.

The combo of step bits and drill press help to ensure that nothing "grabs and spins." The pilot hole step can be eliminated if a good punch is used (I like the spring loaded ones), but it's actually more of a brainless procedure with them.

I've actually gone to a separate bit for the LED grommet hole, since the ones I use are a strange size that don't coincide with my step bits. It's either that or drill the pot holes a little oversized, but I don't like all that slop.

The "measure twice, cut once" principle is golden with this. I also double check when marking up the box before center punching. Aside from that rule, drilling holes undersized is preferable to oversized, since they can always be enlarged with the step bits or reamer.

I've got it down to where it takes less than two minutes to mark up and punch the box, and maybe another two minutes to drill the whole thing out. This is your "standard" setup with 8 holes.