Bigfoot FX Magnavibe  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Hi greenskull

yeah its pretty quiet now, even with a spot of EQ - for some reason the mistake in the pedal was causing another pedal to flutter, at first I thought it was the magnavibe, turn out to be my Boss RE-20.

Hope you have better luck :wink:

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

Thanks Zombie_Crush, will have to tear it apart and see what I can do.
I added an op amp input buffer to mine, maybe that's causing a problem. Sounds really good though!
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Could well be

Good luck!

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Nocentelli

any idea how i can get rid of the annoying clicking sound from the DPDT when switching on the new tremolo switching version?

am wondering if i could remedy it by wiring a ground wire to the DPDT's B1/A3 lugs - from either the - Circuit Ground or the Star-Ground on the input jack :scratch:

would that work?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Zombie_Crush wrote: am wondering if i could remedy it by wiring a ground wire to the DPDT's B1/A3 lugs - from either the - Circuit Ground or the Star-Ground on the input jack :scratch:

would that work?
A3 is already grounded (or should be!), and if B1 is grounded it will effectively bypass the 6k8 resistor from Q1's emitter when you switch to vibrato - I'm guessing this will result in a large volume increase.

Hmmmm... I'll have a think about this, maybe someone else can chip. I'm ok with curing switch pop in bypass circuits, not sure the cause of it here.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Yeah! i could see A3 is grounded to the board, but was wondering if maybe i need to do the same with B1, or B1 wired to A3

Have posted in debugging - hopefully we will get a response ... great vibe pedal all the same!

thanks again :wink:

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: my own, a redesigned princeton
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!
there's videos that totally suck of about 90 of 'em here:
http://youtube.com/666pinkster
gimme a like: http://facebook.com/pinkjimiphotonrocks

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

hey guys, anyone got any tips for my newb ass to minimize some of the background noise on this? i've noticed on the most recent pedalboard a lot of "hash" in the background when it's on...but no idea where to mess with the circuit...figure a judiciously placed cap or 3 ought to do it, right? but where? thanks in advance! ;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!

greenskull
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by greenskull »

pinkjimiphoton wrote:hey guys, anyone got any tips for my newb ass to minimize some of the background noise on this? i've noticed on the most recent pedalboard a lot of "hash" in the background when it's on...but no idea where to mess with the circuit...figure a judiciously placed cap or 3 ought to do it, right? but where? thanks in advance! ;)
Maybe not a direct answer, but the noise I was experiencing went away when using with a non-true bypass pedal (Fender Starcaster chorus).
fuck smooth tone, fuck eric johnson - Seiche

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

I didn't notice any excess noise when I breadboarded it. maybe a bad transistor? I really like this with a FET buffer in front. much clearer sound.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: so fucking many goddamn pedals it would make your ass hurt just looking at 'em all!!!!!

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

it's just kinda hissy and a little rfi happening....maybe i need to add some power supply filtering in the pedal, or tack a small cap on somewhere?
unfortunately, no power for last few days, so can't play with it...may not have ac for a week this time. hoo boy, good times.
Slava Ukraini!

sugarinthegourd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sugarinthegourd »

Was just looking at this schematic and the associated layouts (great job, all!) and I wonder if this electrolytic cap wasn't drawn backwards? It makes more sense to me the other way 'round, and that's how it's oriented on the Wobbletron.

What do you think? Can someone with the original degooped circuit verify? I am hoping to breadboard it this weekend, so I'll see what the volategs are around that cap, and if it sounds different one way or the other.

Thanks

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I have an idea that Kindafuzzy has sold the original Magnavibe - But I may be wrong. It does seem odd that that cap is reversed compared to the Wobbletron, when they are so similar in every other way. However, the Magnavibe definitely works as-is, but I've never managed to get a single wobble out of the Wobbletron...
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

All I can say is that the lfo is a phase shift oscillator in it's simplest form (thanks for that earthtones!): http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/ ... lf_osc.htm

I sidestepped this issue by using non-polarised caps 8)

I am Klon.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Haha - Now that LFO schematic has the caps oriented differently to the Magnavibe AND the Wobbletron..... :hmmm:

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Good catch sugarinthegourd, you're right, it's oriented the other way on the original, which is long gone but I took good pics, so I could confirm stuff like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/35422385@N ... 139715275/

sugarinthegourd
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sugarinthegourd »

I wonder if it matters & if these need to be polarized at all...looking at the LFO in the EA tremolo there's a similar circuit using non-electrolytic caps. May just be easiest & cheapest way to get 1uF caps...

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Board mounted pots/LED layout project attached. Should fit in a 1590B no problem.
Attachments
Magna_Project.pdf
(244.64 KiB) Downloaded 699 times

danielzink
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Too many: www.danielzink.com

Post by danielzink »

Magnavibe in a 1590a

Re-worked Dimebugg's layout a little in DIYLC.

Used one of the 99 cent optocouplers from Electronic Goldmine...spec'd out around 2meg so I tossed it in there. Works great.

http://www.danielzink.com
MoonWatcher wrote: Silent ain't better. If someone cracks the shitwind, I want to know what's headed my way. Silence is for the library and the cemetery.

rhinson
Information

Post by rhinson »

just built one of these and it's sounds pretty much like a small old magnatone amp i worked on a few yrs back. i was just wondering how to increase the depth on this circuit. are there any values in the circuit to change or is it pretty much dependent solely on the ldr and led combo? thanks. rh

also any reason to use a mpsa18 or would any other bjt type be fine (2n5088 or 5089, etc).... thanks

pinkjimiphoton
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by pinkjimiphoton »

i tried forever to get a wobbletron going. only tim escobedo himself appears to have pulled it off.

any high gain transistor should work... i'd socket and play until it sounds good.

i haven't tried it yet, but i bet a mosfet like vn2222 would probably work in there, too...
Slava Ukraini!