Dunlop - JBF-3 Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face  [schematic]

All about modern commercial stompbox circuits from Electro Harmonix over MXR, Boss and Ibanez into the nineties.
Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

It's all in this thread, pick the trimpots to get the right voltages at the collectors.

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Hi,
here are some pictures of my JBF-3 clone and self made PCBs.
About the sound of the Fuzz I can only say: IT'S AMAZING!!!! I love this pedal so much! You can get so much different sounds using your volume and tone control on your guitar! Now, I know why Joe Bonamassa never plays his Les Paul with volume and tone at 100%. You can get much more cool sounds if you try different volume and tone settings in conjunction with this Fuzz pedal!!

Thanks guys for the schematics and reviews!

P.S. I have bought about 10 pcs of my self made PCBs and if anyone needs one then send me an email (the email is on the bottom side of my PCBs -> see my pictures).

Regards
Walter Craffonara

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Going to see if I can buy some GT308A transistors off eBay as I haven't really played around with these devices before..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Hi,
here is the manual of my JBF-3 Clone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw9sw8noamni9oy/JBF-3.pdf

The JBF-3 Clone also includes a Millenium bypass circuit to control the LED using a DPDT switch!

Regards
Walter Craffonara

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Nice! Does flipping the circuit work well with the millenium bypass?

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

wcraffonara wrote:Hi,
here is the manual of my JBF-3 Clone: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw9sw8noamni9oy/JBF-3.pdf

The JBF-3 Clone also includes a Millenium bypass circuit to control the LED using a DPDT switch!

Regards
Walter Craffonara

Cheers, I downloaded a copy of the manual, I just recently bought a set of 5 GT308A transistors off eBay, these should work shouldn't they?..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Hi,
what do you mean with "flipping the circuit"?? The millenium circuit as described in my document works perfectly!

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Hi DrNomis,
the GT308A is pin-compatible to the 1T308B but they have different specs. Probably they will also work, but I haven't test it yet.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

what do you mean with "flipping the circuit"?? The millenium circuit as described in my document works perfectly!
Flipping the circuit as in switching gnd and supply, so that you can use a positive voltage with pnp ge trannies.

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Oh, yes, that works!

rugeb
Information

Post by rugeb »

Hi Walter: Another equivalent MOSFET for Q1 (ZVP3306A), please?
Thanks

wcraffonara
Information

Post by wcraffonara »

Hi, unfortunately I still didn't find an alternative for this mosfet with the same package. If you need a ZVP3306 then send me a PM.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

Just received my set of 5 GT308B transistors in the mail and have tested them all with my Semiconductor Component Analyzer, what really surprised me was that they all exhibited zero leakage current which is surprising since they're PNP Germaniums, the Hfe's I measured were 35,36,40,44, and 75, I've decided to use the 75Hfe transistor in my Rangemaster pedal as it seems ideal.... :thumbsup

On my GT308B transistors there's a small mark on the flange near one of the leads, according to my Analyzer, this indicates the Emitter, so the pinout goes E,C,B with the C lead being the one in the centre connected to the metal casing.... :thumbsup

Hope any of that info is of use to you all..... :thumbsup

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

I was trying to decipher the resistor values in Joe Bonamassa's personal Fuzz Face, as seen on page 6 of this thread. This is what I came up with. Only two differences look crucial to me: bigger resistor between the trimmers (ie. between the two collectors), which is mentioned in "Technology of Fuzz Face" as a way of increasing gain, and a bigger feedback resistor (between the base of Q1 and the fuzz pot), which... does something, right?

Have I read the values correctly? Original photo is on the page 6.
Attachments
Joe Bonamassa Comparison Regular VS Personal.jpg

skyfion
Information

Post by skyfion »

JEM wrote:Hi all, sorry to disagree with you Bancika.
But the picture that hung Tonetweaker companion is perfectly written in Cyrillic reads 1T308B if you look at the datasheet to publish on the front page of the transistor that there are three versions the terninada in A with a gain of 25-75, the model b with 50-120 and models
1T308B should be between 80-150.
I searched for information about the 1T308V and in any case is similar to that model B.
Which leads me to assume that the transistors that were of poor quality conseguistes or worse, labeled wrong.

Regards

PS: Sorry for my writing, unfortunately I do not fight well in English and use a translator.
1T308В is latin 1T308V МП39Б is latin MP39B ,

Rocker83
Information
my favorite amplifier: VanWeelden, Marshal, TwoRock, Dumble

Post by Rocker83 »

Greetings,

There seems to be a lot of debate over the last few years on the exact values of the components. I just wanted to ask if there is a definitive list of exact components and their correct values for the JBF3 pedal? I would love to build one.
Thanks for any help or insight that can be provided.

Rocker83
Information
my favorite amplifier: VanWeelden, Marshal, TwoRock, Dumble

Post by Rocker83 »

Can anyone decipher the correct values and types of resistors and the capacitors in this JBF-3?
Attachments
Pic of Joe Bonamassa Fuzz
Pic of Joe Bonamassa Fuzz

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

I believe this has already been done

Rocket Roll
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Rocket Roll »

Rocker83 wrote:Can anyone decipher the correct values and types of resistors and the capacitors in this JBF-3?
01.jpg

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

I'm pretty sure the "130R" is just a 100k like on every fuzz face